News:

We rely on our supporters to help keep us running. Thank You!

Main Menu

Need some help :/

Started by inanecathode, September 24, 2007, 05:53:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tiger

:) Being able to walk away from any accident unhurt is more important than anything else. My worst one cost me 25 month's off work :o Insurance companies are a law-unto-their-own, a real p.i.t.a... ::) However, even they have a governing body...the dreaded Onbudsman, who is there to handle complaint's... ;) Find out about him/her. Insurance companies don't like to hear his/her name mentioned in conversation :o :o
Its worth bearing in mind when you next speak to your insurance person...

8).......TIGER....... 8)
Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming HOOOOYA lets go again baby !!!!!!

'82 Vision, Pearl Orange finish, lots of up-grades!!!

inanecathode

//////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////
If you can't tell your friend to kiss your ass then they aren't a true friend.
//////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////

Aelwulf

Not The Who, the onbudsman.  although some Who at this point might not hurt either ;)

Ah, such fun to be out riding...
*thunk*
What was that?!

'82 Yamaha Vision XZ550RJ
'07 Kawasaki Vulcan 1600 Mean Streak Special Edition (VN1600B)

inanecathode

Sorry for the lack of update, I've been busy getting a new car :/
Well, i kinda figured his insurance wont pay for jack, and they're not. They said because our stories differ they won't pay out.
I did point out to them that his 'broken taillight' is a complete fabrication. It's physically impossible to break his taillight (dodge 1500) with the front fender of my car (Pontiac fiero) unless i was flying through the air, two feet off the ground. I did also point out that he told *my* insurance company that i was traveling the opposite direction when he got hit. In that case, i would have to have been going in reverse down the opposite lane, then swerved at the perfect time on purpose, then driven a tenth of a mile down my lane, swerved off the road to make the tire marks, turned around, and drove all the way back and pulled in front of him on the other side of the road.
I guess that doesn't matter though, theres no money in it for a frank azar or whoever, I'll just part the car out and hopefully get some money back from it :(
The worst part is if the trooper would have bothered to actually inspect the damage or look at the skid marks in the side of the road it would have been immediately obvious who caused the wreck, and i wouldn't be out a collectible car :/

Part two!
Just picked up a 1972 Beetle yesterday! Really good shape, runs like a friggen top, good heat, good interior, and it has a baja chop at the back, making it even easier to work on! It's like a big blank canvas for me, the after market for beetles is enormous.

Tanno

Frank Azar
Anderson Hemmit & Levine

Usually they'll take the case if you got hurt. I'd call them anyway... See what they say.
Industrial Technician by trade -- Curiosity by nature, tinkerer by choice.
"Handle every situation like a dog would. If you can't eat it or screw it; Piss on it and walk away!" -- Unknown

Aelwulf

Yeah, if he's lying like that it should make it easy.   The down side would be that it'd be cleaned up by now unless you carry a camera in the car and took pics.  I'm looking at putting a disposable in the truck for that reason.  And you're right, a Fiero would go right under with of my bumper's and the hood would be scratched/crumpled.  A friend of mine's Saturn rear-ended a truck and that's what happened to hers.  Truck just got scratched exhaust.

Ah, such fun to be out riding...
*thunk*
What was that?!

'82 Yamaha Vision XZ550RJ
'07 Kawasaki Vulcan 1600 Mean Streak Special Edition (VN1600B)

ColinthePilot

It's worse if he had a hitch. My friend's exploder got rear ended and after a quick inspection, they both agreed to clear traffic lanes and discuss it in a parking lot. My friend drove his truck and the other guy's grill and radiator over to the lot. the other guy cried and waited for a tow truck. I usually keep my digital in the truck just in case something photoworthy catches my eye.
Lucky for me, the only accidents i've been in (knock on wood) have been a fender scraper (not even a bender) and a single jetta with bad tires skidding off an on ramp and into a guard rail. they were both within a month of eachother and one trip to the body shop fixed both for about $200. Toss in a single Nissan truck backing into a loading dock with the tailgate down, fixed in the garage with a $15 can of colormatched spray paint. all of them my fault but the only other car involved was a neighbor (most accidents within 5 mi of home or something) and it happened in front of my house.
I'm glad I don't know anyone off the top of my head that has been hit hard enough to total a car. My sister has wrecked her civic enough times to likely qualify.
Good luck with your new wheels. Again, glad you're unscathed.
Colin
It pissed me off, so I jammed a screwdriver into it, hit it with a hammer, and spun it around with a pair of vice grips. Let that serve as a warning

inanecathode

Aye, thanks you guys! Means alot to have people who understand :)
I'm just going to part out the fiero :/ noone will buy it for what i want for it if the frame might be bent, its probably worth more as parts anyway.
The bug is more my style though, alot simpler to work on, alot easier to modify (hint, removable cylinders)
Anywho, it's late and i wish i had more to say than that, but thats all my brain can muster!

h2olawyer

I learned to drive in a 62 Bug.  The old 1200 had a habit of throwing valves in the #3 cylinder.  Not enough cooling air got to it.  After the fourth time, I swapped in a 1300 & upgraded to a 12 volt electrical system.  It was great for running around town, but very underpowered.  The newer bugs - like yours - are much more reliable.  Awesome snow car, though.  Only problem was the lack of weight on the front tires.  It tended to slide through stop signs when it got real slick - even with studded snows on the rear.  Nothing better than weight on slick roads.

Kind of wish I still had that car.  Would be lots better than the truck for running errands around town.

H2O
If you have an accident on a motorcycle, it's always your fault. Tough call, but it has to be that way. You're in the right, and dead -on a bike. The principle is not to have any accident. If you're involved in an an accident, it's because you did not anticipate. Then, by default, you failed.

inanecathode

Lol, well theres tons of bugs for sale on craigs all over. They're not terribly expensive. They're really easy to fix for what goes wrong with them, especially if you've already worked on them. If you can work on a vision you can work on a beetle ;P
Going to pick up a dual solex carb and intake set today. Going dual carburated :D
As far as i can tell i'll end up syncronizing it just like the vision.
Stop me if i'm sounding like a total dummy, but would it be possible to run 4 vision carbs on a beetle? Only thing i can think of is the V carb is designed to flow for a 175cc piston, and it would have to flow for a 400cc piston. People have always said the V carbs are too big anyway XD

Lucky

Quote from: inanecathode on October 04, 2007, 08:00:16 AM
Stop me if i'm sounding like a total dummy, but would it be possible to run 4 vision carbs on a beetle? Only thing i can think of is the V carb is designed to flow for a 175cc piston, and it would have to flow for a 400cc piston. People have always said the V carbs are too big anyway XD

Your just BEGGING for gremlins... :>
1982/3 XZ550 Touring Vison, Gold on Black

ironb12s

Go with 2 carbs, one on each pair of jugs, and put a velocity stack through the bonnet.   8)
SOC-UK 19744*MIG 821*IBA 9200*AMA 580210
+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
Book: "She don't look like much."
KayLee: "'Ah-uh, she'll fool ya."

h2olawyer

You can get Weber intake systems for the beetle.  That's what I wanted to do when I had mine.  You can also up the displacement to somewhere over 2,000cc.  Add a header / muffler & you can be as obnoxious as if you had a MAC on it!   ;D

My bug was my introduction to major mechanic work.  Parts were real cheap for them in the late 70s.  There's a fantastic manual for them called "How Works a Volkswagon".  Spiral bound, well written - lots of great info, procedures & humor.  Highly recommended reading for a VW owner.

H2O
If you have an accident on a motorcycle, it's always your fault. Tough call, but it has to be that way. You're in the right, and dead -on a bike. The principle is not to have any accident. If you're involved in an an accident, it's because you did not anticipate. Then, by default, you failed.

Tiger

:) You can also drop a wee Porche engine in there, if you really want something frisky :o ;D :D :D... 8) I started my apprentiship with a VW dealer waaaaay back in '69 :o :o :o

8).......TIGER....... 8)
Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming HOOOOYA lets go again baby !!!!!!

'82 Vision, Pearl Orange finish, lots of up-grades!!!

h2olawyer

Porsche parts cost a lot more than aftermarket VW performance parts.  You can get amazing performance out of the bug engine.  Since it was really dad's bug & he was paying for repairs, he wouldn't go for the 'fun' stuff.  Was hard enough to get him to spring for the 1300cc engine so it would stop throwing valves.  We sold it before I was working enough to get the parts myself.  Sure was a fun little car, though.  Mine was old enough that you had to open the hood to get to the fuel tank filler.  No side fuel door.  Couldn't ask for an easier car to work on.  Engine removal took less than an hour even with home mechanic tools - floor jack & jackstands.  The last time I rebuilt the 1200, I had it out, rebuilt & reinstalled in under two days.

H2O

inanecathode

Fairly pointless now though.
Got pulled over on a friggen off ramp and ticketed with a 4 point/2 point mail in. I only have 1 point left iirc.
Tune in for the next chapter in my epic novel "How many times can one guy get fucked over in two weeks!"