News:

Ridersofvision.net  welcomes you !

Main Menu

How to remove fuel cap?

Started by XZv2, September 16, 2007, 05:24:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

XZv2

Hi, all.
I bought today a nice-looking fuel tank of an 82 XZ. No dents, no rust on the outside.
However, the cap is in place, and locked. The owner had sold the key already with other parts.

Has anybody removed a locked tank cap without damage?
I see no hints in Haynes or Yamaha manuals.
Thanks for any suggestions,
XZv2

kwells

is this something a dealer can do with a 'master' key?  without the ignition #s they will not be able to make a key to fit the lock.  If they do not have this then you can probably have a locksmith pick the lock and perhaps even make a key for it once open.  good luck 
...a vision is never complete.

www.wellsmoto.com

mdskinner731

i dunno if this is true but somwhere iv heard that if u give your VIN tag number to a yamaha dealer they would be able to get u a key some how... like i said i dunno if its true but its prolly worth looking in to if u can get the VIN tag nimber from the previous owner of the tank...
"he who has the most toys when they die, wins..."
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
if it moves and its not supposed to-duct tape
if it dont move and its supposed to- wd-40
Redneck Law

kwells

That is a possibility but it will depend more on the dealer that you go to.  They need to be able to cross reference the VIN with the lock set, then be able to make the key(hard part).  I was able to find a dealer to do just that in the St. Louis area but somehow I think dealers that are both willing AND capable are few and far between.  Would start with a bunch of phone calls to dealers and go from there.  Either way a good locksmith should be able to help you out.
...a vision is never complete.

www.wellsmoto.com

YellowJacket!

Well, there are about 200 key combinations, so we can all send him one of our keys and one is bound to work.  ;D

David

Living the dream - I am now a Physician Assistant!!   :-)

QBS

Several years ago I had this problem.  Took the tank to a local locksmith.  He had it unlocked and a key made in one day.  Cost: $20.00USD.  Key blank was for an older American econobox called a Dodge Colt, which I suspect was really of Mitsubishi manufacture.

ColinthePilot

I had the same problem...I Jammed a standard screwdriver into the keyhole, hit it with a hammer a few times, grabbed it with some vicegrips and spun it, and sheared all the pins. Cap popped right off. My tank doesn't lock, but it makes very little difference to me. The cap still works
Colin
It pissed me off, so I jammed a screwdriver into it, hit it with a hammer, and spun it around with a pair of vice grips. Let that serve as a warning

Lucky

ask the guy you bought the tank from to send you the guy who bought the locks you email, or his.  send him $5 for a copy of the key.
1982/3 XZ550 Touring Vison, Gold on Black

XZv2

Thanx for all the advises,
I am in Holland, Europe, so no Dodge econoboxes or VIN-numbers around.
I'll ask the guy who sold the tank to me, if there is a possibility to track the original key. I'l let you know what happens.
Thanx again, XZv2

reckon

Quote from: QBS on September 16, 2007, 09:24:17 PM
Several years ago I had this problem.  Took the tank to a local locksmith.  He had it unlocked and a key made in one day.  Cost: $20.00USD.  Key blank was for an older American econobox called a Dodge Colt, which I suspect was really of Mitsubishi manufacture.

nuff sed,...

do what he said
"if it's stupid but it works, it's no longer stupid"

kiawrench

take your tank to a elderly, or retired locksmith, ask him to please open it .

the older locksmiths were trained to shadow cut a key in situations like this-- they insert a blank that fits, to check "depth" then coat the keys with graphite or prussian blue ink ,insert it and wiggle with some force,and then  hand cut a key that works ,, usually in under an hour .

if all else fails, place the tank on a bike, bolt it down, and carefully drill the old lock out using a 8mm bit, do not go deeper than 10 mm -- then use a fine pointed pick to remove the pin keys from the rest of the lock, then you can use your lock set inside the newer cap,
keep your bike running,your beer cold ,and your passport handy.all are like money in the bank .

inanecathode

Man i wish my gas cap didnt lock...
Make my life so much easier at fill ups...
Not like anyones going to mess with my fuel anyway...
//////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////
If you can't tell your friend to kiss your ass then they aren't a true friend.
//////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////

simcha

Hi Aad,
Just drill the lock out. Caps are easily available here in the UK. M & P do them with 2 keys for £7.99.

Coil Coyle

Quote from: QBS on September 16, 2007, 09:24:17 PM
Also on Datsuns. It's a blank that is used in four and seven tumbler locks, ours is the four. Web search by the locksmith gets him the spacing, the four and seven are diferent spacing.. Looking down the lock gets him the tumbler positions. Cost me 40.00 US for Mobile service to make the 2006 CROV fall ride.
The seat lock has all four tumblers, it will get you a perfect ignition key, the cap uses just two.

Lost ignition? Unbolt the seat hinge, cut a small notch to let the seat lock out of the frame tab hole and take it to a locksmith. This gets you an ignition switch without pulling the ignition switch.

Once more;
Sebastopol Mobile Lock Service Rocks!   8)
$0.02
;)
Coil

XZv2

Thanks all for your comments and advises.
Yes Simcha and Kiawrench, I will try to drill it out. I do not need the cap. I just could buy a tank that is perfect outside, not any rust, not any dent. I have several sets of keys that fit ignition, gas cap and seat lock.
I just want to remove the cap, and discard it.
I do not want to damage this tank that is the best I have.
XZv2

Night Vision

if you just want to get the cap off and not save it..... I'd use the screwdriver

Quote from: ColinthePilot on September 16, 2007, 09:40:58 PM
I had the same problem...I Jammed a standard screwdriver into the keyhole, hit it with a hammer a few times, grabbed it with some vicegrips and spun it, and sheared all the pins. Cap popped right off. My tank doesn't lock, but it makes very little difference to me. The cap still works
if it ain't worth doing it the hard way....
it ain't worth doing it at all - Man Law
;D

if it ain't broke..... take it apart and find out why

don't give up.... don't ever give up - Jimmy Valvano

XZv2

Hi, all,
Today I had the time to drill out the lock of the gas tank.
Used first 8 mm drill, increased size to 10. The lock popped immediately out when I used the 10 mm drill.
Some wriggling was necessary to bring the locking tabs to the "in" position.
The cap is off. The interior of the tank is quite good also, barely rust.
The best tank I have by far!
Thanks for your wonderful help and suggestions,
XZv2 

h2olawyer

I just ordered a new fuel cap from the local dealer.  When it arrives, I plan to take it to a local locksmith and have it re-keyed to match my existing keys for Silver V.

H2O
If you have an accident on a motorcycle, it's always your fault. Tough call, but it has to be that way. You're in the right, and dead -on a bike. The principle is not to have any accident. If you're involved in an an accident, it's because you did not anticipate. Then, by default, you failed.

MotorPlow

Quote from: DaveTN on September 16, 2007, 08:47:37 PM
Well, there are about 200 key combinations, so we can all send him one of our keys and one is bound to work.  ;D

David

I only have one key. Wait, now I have two Visions, so i guess i have one key for each bike....

Night Vision

Quote from: MotorPlow on October 08, 2007, 08:19:06 PM

I only have one key. Wait, now I have two Visions, so i guess i have one key for each bike....

alright, quit fooling around, blog the newbie
if it ain't worth doing it the hard way....
it ain't worth doing it at all - Man Law
;D

if it ain't broke..... take it apart and find out why

don't give up.... don't ever give up - Jimmy Valvano