News:

We would like to thank our supporting members for their generosity.

Main Menu

Poll - Aluminium handle bars -direct original replacement - any interest?

Started by kiwibum, October 02, 2007, 07:16:10 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Would you purchase set of Aluminium handle bars and what's max price? (Assuming availability)

$60USD
$100USD
$150USD
$200USD
No thank you.

kiwibum

Is there any interest in direct (bolt straight in) replacement XZ550/400 aluminium handle bars (with less angle than original)? I'm considering making some and if there is enough interest I would make them available for sale. I need to modify my bars, the angle gives me sore wrists and I would love to make some lighter ones, plus it gives me more incentive to buy the CMC milling machine I've been looking at :). I've figured out how they can be made and the CNC machine will give me repeatability so the effort going in to one can be spread out to the advantage of everyone else. It may be possible to make two types with two different angles to suit the masses and even specify the angle if willing to pay an additional setup fee.  At the moment this is all ideas and I would like to gauge interest and price people are willing to pay to gauge if it's a good thing to do. I've got a bunch of other ideas to CNC for bike as well but will consider them later. Post your suggestions of parts you think have mass appeal that could be done on a CNC Mill. The more incentive I have the more likelihood I'll be getting it.
Thanks. Steve.

zore

I threw a set of 83 shorties along with the foot pegs and it's better.  I'm used to daytona riding position so i may try clipons on it at some point.
1982 Yamaha XZ550
1995 Ducati M900

kiwibum

Both my 400 and 550 already have the short risers etc. I'm starting to prefer the more upright riding position, used to get sore wrists with all my weight forward on the FZR and SV after more than two hours riding. On the XZ it's my right wrist that gets sore, I'm assuming due to twisting on the wrong angle all the time since it only takes 30 minute ride to aggrevate.

Making different height/shape risers is an option I hadn't thought of. Could make them with a round top section to clamp clipons to, although clipons seem expensive when I did a quick search ($120-250). Thanks for the input.

ironb12s

I got a superbike bar for Brandi a little while ago from Holeshot, it's in the $40 range.
SOC-UK 19744*MIG 821*IBA 9200*AMA 580210
+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
Book: "She don't look like much."
KayLee: "'Ah-uh, she'll fool ya."

kiwibum

I agree these would be the ideal, problem with bars like the superbike bar for the XZ is we need to machine the top triple clamp to be able to fit it. Not everyone (including myself) wants to drill/make/change their triple clamp. I think it's a bit more problematic for those with the 83 and air caps on the forks as well. I'm proposing, unbolt the old one and bolt in a replacement with a better angle on it. Currently I'm looking at just cutting and welding my originals with the longer term aim of doing something better (also looking at everywhere I can lose weight on the 400). Possibly making a set of risers that convert to enable using standard bars is another option, although thinking about it they would be too far apart to hold standard bars. Thanks for the comment.

jasonm.

haveing spare sets of '82s. I took the splined shafts and welded 2" more round stock on each side and put them on my '83. Now no more pinching feeling in my neck or twist in my wrists and more leverage allows me to throw the bike into corners. My wrists have never been better because now everything lines up naturally. Do a test. Just put your arms(fist made) out while sitting down. What's comfortable without using a lot of effort.
looks aren't important, if she lets you play by your rules

zore

Quote from: ironb12s on October 02, 2007, 03:13:27 PM
I got a superbike bar for Brandi a little while ago from Holeshot, it's in the $40 range.

I would love to see pictures of these.
1982 Yamaha XZ550
1995 Ducati M900

kiwibum

Quote from: jasonm. on October 02, 2007, 08:54:08 PM
I took the splined shafts and welded 2" more round stock on each side and put them on my '83.

I'm assuming you mean cut them at the splined shaft end and added in 2" changing angle at same time? Don't think I'll add in more length on mine (I'm only small with narrow shoulders), just need a shallower angle. Was thinking about using a using a straight aluminium bar, turning the end down so it slides in the splined hole on the raiser then putting a twist in the raisers to set the angle. Haven't had time to see if the raisers are hardened and would crack rather than twist, have a few spares I might test with in Dec. Then cutting some on a CNC machine would be better way if it's something others would want to use.

ironb12s

I forgot about the set up on the Vision, Brandi uses a standard triple clamp installation. 

However, follow this link for a pic.

http://holeshot.com/old/Bandit/images/b12bars2.jpeg

zore

Could you possibly take a close up pick on how you have that mounted on the tripples.  I have the bars and mounts off the Monster that I coudl use but didn't know if there was enough meat on the stock triple to get it on there.
1982 Yamaha XZ550
1995 Ducati M900

kiwibum

Quote from: zore on October 04, 2007, 05:12:26 AM
Could you possibly take a close up pick on how you have that mounted on the tripples. 

Looks like it's mounted on a Suzuki Bandit not an XZ.

ironb12s

If you followed that link, it is on a Bandit.  That's what HoleShot is centered around.  But, you can see what the SBike bar looks like.  I can take some pics of the one I have, at more angles for you, but I doubt the XZ can be modified easily, as others have observed.

zore

I'm so used to my xz with the round head light, i just assumed you called your xz bandit.  Now that I took a closer look i see it is indeed, a bandit.  I have 83 bars on it now, but I'd like to update the look with my monster bars.
1982 Yamaha XZ550
1995 Ducati M900

ironb12s

No, no, no, no, the XZ and the Bandit are two different ladies...  ;)  Viky is my XZ550RJ and Brandi is my GSF1200S.

kiwibum

Lots of people looking but no one voting, too expensive? Let me know your thoughts. Anyway I've bought the CNC Mill so look out for parts to start coming out next year. Taking a holiday for 6 weeks first to recover from studying all year :)

jasonm.

It appears I was not clear. I call the handlebar shafts...the same as the splined shafts. I just ADDED 2" on to each bar END. Also I put a larger throttle and grips.The stock ones are rather small. I used Johar superbike grips. These are the best foam grips I have ever used in my 30 years on bikes. And more durable than other foam grips.10k and no wear.
looks aren't important, if she lets you play by your rules

kiwibum

jasonm, do you find the extension helps with the angle? I'm assuming you don't find the angle of the bars too tight? I've riden my bike into University every day the last coupe of weeks, it's only 10-15min ride but finding that even with such a short ride I'm getting sore wrists, particularly if it's busy and I'm griping the bars hard while lane splitting. I'm going to cut up a spare set I have, put a shallower angle on them and take them with me to pick up the lastest addition to the garage (xz400 full factory fairing). Otherwise I think I'll end up as a cripple after the 8 hour ride.