News:

We rely on our supporters to help keep us running. Thank You!

Main Menu

Wont Start

Started by matlas, August 11, 2004, 10:49:46 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

matlas

I got the V out the other day after sitting for 3 weeks (I was away on vacation), and I went to start it and it turned over great, but just wouldnt catch.  It caught for maybe a half a second, but would never keep going.  I tried push starting it, which would get it doing but then die immediately after i pulled in the clutch.  Previous to this, I was away for a month, and when I came back it was running great, no problems.  I ran it for a few weeks and then went away for this three weeks.  I have checked all the simple things, i think (no vacuum leaks, tci is fine, its getting gas, etc).  Does anyone have any suggestions that DO NOT involve taking the tank off... my sender unit is busted so when i take the tank off, i get gas everywhere and I will not do this.  <P>
Again, everything seems fine when i start it, and at any second it "should" catch, but it never does.  Thanks.

---Matt

nvdranger

sounds to me like it may be flooded.  i always have a problem getting mine going if it has sat for a week or more.  when you push start it do you have enough momentum to leave it in gear and take off?  I have a hill next to my house and this usually works pretty well.

Ken
'82 Vision project.  First Vision, First Bike.
Sometimes monkeys die, Sometimes monkeys die.  It not a good saying, but its a saying.

matlas

will try again, i guessed that it was flooded, but "typically" this is fixed when you turn it over like a million times, like i did... i may try to find a hill (hard to do in delaware tho) and start it off of that...

---Matt

Walt_M.

Check for low battery volts, remember, the battery will still turn the starter when the voltage is too low to fire the ignition. And, if your charging system has a problem and isn't charging, you may not even be able to bump start it. Charge the battery and try it again.
Whale oil beef hooked!

nvdranger

good call walt, totally forgot about that plus the tci needs something like a 11.5 or 12 + volts to fire correctly.  matlas - did you try to jump start it?  make sure the car is off, just to keep any electrical problems from happening.

Ken
'82 Vision project.  First Vision, First Bike.
Sometimes monkeys die, Sometimes monkeys die.  It not a good saying, but its a saying.

QBS

Any time your V has been sitting for longer than a week there's a good chance its' needle valves are stuck closed.  Your starting drill should begin with putting the fuel petcock on "Prime", followed with a light tapping of the float bowls with a heavy screw driver or socket extention.  This will make the needle valves drop down and allow fuel flow.  Even better is to begin by opening the bowl drain screws and then watch for fuel flow from the carb drain line after you've tapped the carbs.  If you've got fuel coming from the drain lines you know the carbs are getting fuel.

ANY/EVERY TIME you know you won't been running  the engine for a week or more you should drain the carbs.  This does two good things.  (1) It removes gas that will turn to varnish in your carbs and (2) as the fuel leaves the carbs the floats will drop and the next start will be much easier.

Cheers.

Superfly

I noticed that, mine is the same way.  If I leave her alone for over a week, she starts very hard.  But when I use her every day, or every couple of days, she starts great.
A bad marrage is like dirty carbs... It just makes everything else suck.