News:

We would like to thank our supporting members for their generosity.

Main Menu

Starter clutch bolts

Started by Superfly, August 14, 2004, 06:29:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Superfly

Just an update on the 82, everything is fine and dandy... all of the sudden, the vision curse returns.. now the starter clutch bolts. ?Thank you Lucky for the great web page and support. ?I have been following them religously, and I am getting ready to do it again. ?I am going to follow them verbatim, so does anyone have any additional advice? ?I am doing them tomorrow, but I am having a heck of a time trying to find a flywheel puller. ?I have read not to use a gear puller, but I have found a store with a lot of pullers (2 and 3 clamp), but none like I have seen in the factory or haynes manuals.
 ???
A bad marrage is like dirty carbs... It just makes everything else suck.

Lucky

1982/3 XZ550 Touring Vison, Gold on Black

Superfly

What about the springs that "pop out", how do they go back in?

Lucky

The springs have caps & sit in drilled passages, with the rollers on top. it's pretty much self explanitory when you see it.  if you can get the starter gear to come out with the flywheel, it'll all stay together.
--Lucky
1982/3 XZ550 Touring Vison, Gold on Black

Superfly

On one of my visions, It all stayed together, but on the other, it all fell apart, of course the one that all fell apart was the first one I took apart. ?You know how it goes, the first time you see the parts, and you are thinking to yourself "great..... this looks like it is going to be real fun to get this back together...." but it is all back together, threw her back together real quick to test it out, started a little hard, but when she started, she ran great. ?Now it is time to put her back together right. ?Just when I had that oil leak kicked.....