News:

We would like to thank our supporting members for their generosity.

Main Menu

Michael O'Connor's RallyVision LIVES

Started by Frankenvision, October 03, 2007, 03:10:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Frankenvision

Hi all,
     My name is Ed Kasper, a long-time occasional lurker (I belong to about a dozen online groups/lists...too many varied interests.)  I bought my first neglected, non-running Vision about 5 years ago and got her back on the road in a few months with help from Lucky and others on here.  That was our original "Frankenvision"...dented, patched tank with a Krylon paint job to match all the scrapes and corrosion on the old girl.  Fast forward 4 years and a couple more eBay Visions...
     Then, exactly one year ago today, I bought fellow Visionary Mike O'Connor's customized RallyVision on eBay.  Many of you may remember that Mike had relisted it many times with no takers.  Frankly, he had put so much time, talent and money into the project that he could never recoup his investment by selling a non-running bike.  I met his lowered reserve, won the auction, hooked up the trailer, and drove down to Cincinnati from Detroit hoping that I had not made a mistake buying the bike.  I felt the typical eBay buyer's remorse/anxiety...especially since I currently had two running Visions and other bikes and many higher-priority projects.  When I got there, my jaw dropped.  The pictures in the ROV gallery and on eBay didn't do Mike's work justice.  Mike said that the paint and offset racing stripe were inspired by the 1967 Shelby Cobra...and his paintwork is worthy of it.  The white wheels and carbon fiber fade on the metallic gray frame even grew on me because of the quality of the work.  Kudos to Mike.
     Well, Rally sat in my shed for the next 11 months until I got the motivation to get her running.  Lots of electrical and carburetion work later (typical Vision, LOL) , I rode her for the first time yesterday, so I made it in a year.  Of course, I still need to work out a few details...calibrate the electric speedometer (thanks for the help, DaveTN!), add an ammeter and temperature gauge, find the missing fork cap that rolled under the car in the garage...(see the photo gallery link...I think you'll enjoy it...and sorry about the two dog pics.)  I hope this inspires someone else to finish a project.  ;)           

http://pictures.aol.com/ap/viewHoo.do?type=photoAlbum&size=LS&logoUrl=http%3A%2F%2Fpictures.aol.com%2Fgalleries%2Fwolfman231&aimName=wolfman231&noLogo=true&bgcolor=%23000000

h2olawyer

That is a nice looking V.  Everything looks beautiful.  Still only one thing I'd be questioning - the white wheels.  Hard to keep clean.  Otherwise, she's beautiful.  Congrats on getting her running.  If it will run half as good as it looks, it'll be a screamer!   8)

H2O
If you have an accident on a motorcycle, it's always your fault. Tough call, but it has to be that way. You're in the right, and dead -on a bike. The principle is not to have any accident. If you're involved in an an accident, it's because you did not anticipate. Then, by default, you failed.

ironb12s

Meets with my awe and admiration.  Outstanding!  If mine turns out half that purdy...
SOC-UK 19744*MIG 821*IBA 9200*AMA 580210
+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
Book: "She don't look like much."
KayLee: "'Ah-uh, she'll fool ya."

Frankenvision

I wasn't a fan of the white wheels at first either...reminds me of the sport bikes of the early 90s...but it works with the stripe.  My wife's blue Ninja has all black wheels and they get lost visually.  Thank God the Vision is shaft drive or I'd be cleaning that rear wheel after every ride.  RallyVision accelerates like a scalded cat.  I don't think she is faster than my stock '82, but that Mac exhaust makes you feel like you are accelerating.  You feel it resonate as much as you hear it.

If you guys don't like the slideshow format, go to the link, then click the Wolfman231's "gallery" button right above the main picture to go to thumbnails... 

-Ed

kwells

i always liked the belly pan on that bike...it's a shame that the work couldnt fetch what he had into the bike but glad to see it in the hands of someone that will keep it on the road. The white wheels arent my cup o tea either but as a whole that bike is pretty innovative.
...a vision is never complete.

www.wellsmoto.com

Frankenvision

kwells,
    I don't have the belly pan on yet...Mike put some Japanese characters on the sides a la Hayabusa.  I'm planning on deleting those graphics if I can without doing damage.  The bike looks more lean than the stock bike...deleted grab handles, no chrome megaphone pipes, petite faux-carbon fiber turn signals and mirrors and dash.  Less early 80s and more late 90s?     

mdskinner731

i think im with ironb12s.. wish mine will turn out half that good :P
the turn signals are kinda what i want when im done
"he who has the most toys when they die, wins..."
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
if it moves and its not supposed to-duct tape
if it dont move and its supposed to- wd-40
Redneck Law

Lucky

I would think a top quality clearcoat would a long way toward making the wheels easier to maintain
1982/3 XZ550 Touring Vison, Gold on Black

Night Vision

there are some nice details on your V... I like the faux cf frame ... congrats on getting her running, that's the important thing.
if it ain't worth doing it the hard way....
it ain't worth doing it at all - Man Law
;D

if it ain't broke..... take it apart and find out why

don't give up.... don't ever give up - Jimmy Valvano

Tiger

8) Hi Ed and welcome. Well worth the drive to Cinci' I'd say... 8) We are ALL pleased to welcome another Vision and her new keeper to the "family" ;D :D :D :D :D :D... ;) Enjoy...

8).......TIGER....... 8)
Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming HOOOOYA lets go again baby !!!!!!

'82 Vision, Pearl Orange finish, lots of up-grades!!!

Frankenvision

I really posted as a tribute to Michael.  And to this group that got me through that first Vision 5 years ago.  

Lucky, I was worried more about protecting the tank...the paint job is superb.  I'm clumsy and was sweating bullets over damaging it.  I have a spare set of wheels that I can swap out if the white ones start to be a hassle.  The Dunlop GT501s Michael mounted on the white rims still have their nubs after my 20 mile shakedown yesterday.  I probably won't ride it much to keep it pristine, but I don't care if my black 82 Vision gets dirty rims or stone chips.  We have a garage queen sports car that is the same way...always worried about dings in parking lots, etc.  Sometimes rat bikes are the most fun.  I rode the black bike 750 miles in 14 hours last year...my longest day to date.  If I hit less construction and better weather next time, who knows?  Anyone up for an Iron Butt?  LOL, my back is aching just thinking about it!

Thanks to all for the kind words!  

ironb12s

Where are you located?  Wanna get your IBA wings officiously?  I'm helping friend get his with a SS1000 or a BB1500, we still have to decide, which and when, the routes are already planned.  My longest is 1800 in 33:40.  Quickest was 1558(odo)/1626(GPS) in 24 hours. 

Frankenvision

Ironb, WOW, 1600+ miles in 24 hours???!!!  Was it on a Vision?  Otherwise, it isn't officious you know!  LOL 

Seriously, just plain awesome; I am not worthy.  But in a former life I did long distance riding of a different sort.  I once rode roughly the same 750 miles I referred to on a bicycle, and a double century (200 miles in a day ride) was an annual event.  Now I'm fat and lazy and drive to the post office!  I'm in Detroit...hopefully nowhere near you to be tempted!   

My wife once rode that 750 mile route on a 1983 Yamaha 180cc scooter...she is closer to your league than I am!  Although I do vaguely remember her saying something about never doing that again.   ;)

Good luck to you and your friend!
-Ed

ironb12s

Funny, we get that reaction from a lot of folks...   8)

Actually, I got started in bicycle endurance riding at an early age.  Did my first century when I was 14, fastest ever was a double metric at 6.5 hours.  Still do one century a year, maybe two if time permits.  Ever heard of the Sea Gull Century?

And actually, the BB15 that we planned goes right thru Detroit on it's southern leg.  From MD up to ON, across to MI and down thru OH.

QBS

1999, '83 V, White City New Mexico to Houston TX, 1100 miles, 17 hours.

cincicat

Wolfman,so glad to see her up and running as she was meant,you need to get her tuned in and then put the lower air dam on,it is a piece that I wanted,to give it it's real Rally presence. great job keeping her clean, the white rims are clearcoated but as another person said,I would recommend adding another coat, there are some high quality clear coats available at automotive paint stores,we have Smyths.Be sure to have the rim on a place you can keep the rim turning at a medium pace as you put on the clear,keeping it even is important for tire balancing. Sometime I would like to take you up on your offer.Thanks for taking good care of her,there is alot of memories in creating the vision,it means alot that those memories get to live on, Mike

ironb12s

Quote from: QBS on October 04, 2007, 08:13:56 PM
1999, '83 V, White City New Mexico to Houston TX, 1100 miles, 17 hours.

A good run, that.  But, was it a documented run?  Had it been, we'd have been IBA Brethren.  ;)

Take a note, y'all, if you are tackling a Saddle Sore 1000 (1000mi/24hr) or worse, get the documents from the Iron Butt Association, and get your...your...your-buns.  They don't have a lot of members on the smaller bikes (aside from a Vespa or two), so it'd be a breath of fresh air in the bunch...   http://www.ironbutt.com/ridecerts/  And believe me, I'll be doing one just as soon as Viky is back on the road again.  CA, here I come!  An SS1K can be completed easily in less than 20 hours, and 15 if you are in a hurry.   ;D

QBS

When I did the NM to TX run I was tired of being on the road for two weeks (HouTx to IrvineCa and a lot of places inbetween) and I just wanted to be home Now.  Making an IB statement never crossed my mind.  Looking back, I think I might have had another couple of hundred miles left in me.  The V was totally unstressed and could have gone another thousand.

In one of my current posts I warn of breaking float pivot pin pedistals.  When I left on my CA journey, the V was running really great even though it had a pivot pin pedistal that I had broken months earlier.  Being of the "if it aint broke (or, in this case, is running really good)  don't fix it" school of thought, I never repaired it.  It started leaking somewhere in CA and continued for the rest of the trip.  Even so, the bike continued to run well and dependably.  Mileage at sustained 75 to 85 MPH was 42 mpg.

ironb12s

A note on the broken pivot pedestal; They can be reattached with J-B, or the J-B can be made into one.  All is not lost should one break...

QBS

JB was my plan B.  Plan A was installation of a spare '83 carb top that I had.  Plan A is still doing great.