News:

We would like to thank our supporting members for their generosity.

Main Menu

New Owner of a Vision...NEED HELP!

Started by MJBEEZ1339, October 08, 2007, 02:35:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MJBEEZ1339

Hello everybody. Just yesterday I purchased a Yamaha xz550. I'm not sure if it is a RK or a RJ...i also am not to sure if it is an 82 or an 83. The bike has been sitting at a neighbors house for months and I finally asked him about it. Long story short and $200 later, it was in my garage. I got it running with a battery charger and starter spray but it won't work on gas alone. I took off the gas tank and saw it leaks a little and the carbs had some bad gas in them so my friend and I cleaned it up as much as possible. Still same thing though...only runs with the help of starter fluid. Basically what i want to know is what am i getting myself in to! It's only been two days but I am falling in love with this bike. How much $ will it take to get this baby running and looking good? Any comments or suggestions are greatly appreciated. Post back or email me at michaeljbattista@hotmail.com  Thanks alot  :)

Mike

h2olawyer

You need to take the carbs off, get a can of Berryman's Chem-Dip and thoroughly clean the carbs.  Ask for more details before starting this project & we can get you started in the right direction. (Chem-Dip = less than $20)

These bikes really like a fully charged battery in good condition.  If yours is old, go get a new one.  (Wal-Mart cheapie = $40ish)

Fuel tank leaks - cure them with Caswell Plating or POR-15 fuel tank liner.  AVOID KREEM!  (Tank kit = $35 - $40)

Read as many of the posts here - especially in "Tech Talk" - as possible.  (Free - but an occasional contribution to the site is cool)

How to tell whether it's an 82 (RJ) or 83 (RK):

Dual front discs, full fairing, 140 MPH speedo, fuel gauge, black & gold paint / graphics, black exhaust, black fork lowers, black swingarm are the most obvious outward signs denoting an 83 (RK).

Single front disc, 85 MPH speedo, no fuel gauge, black, red or silver paint, chrome exhaust, brushed aluminum fork lowers, silver swingarm are all signs it's an 82.  May or may not have either a sport or full fairing - this would be an 82 (RJ).

Look on the steering neck & see when it was manufactured - that's the easiest method to find the year.  1981 - early 82 is 82 model.  Mid to late 1982 - 83 is an 83 model.  Vin# 11H = 82  11U = 83.

Those are true for US spec XZ550s.  Canada had some other colors available for 83.

These are great bikes, but need to be brought back after years of neglect or storage.  Other items likely needing attention:  fork seals, steering bearings, tires, brake fluid & shoes & starter clutch bolts.

Possibly, the stator has fried.  Not a difficult fix, but is one of the higher cost items.  OEM stator is now nearing $400.  Aftermarket ones go for $100 - $150.  You can often find good ones on eBay for even less.

Take your time, attack one problem then move to the next.  Soon you will have a fun ride that hasn't cost too much to get running.  If you got an 83 for $200, you got a great bargain.  They're the rarest year (by far).  An 82 that's close to running, with a clear title for $200 is a good deal.  If you're looking to fix it up & sell it, you won't likely get all the money you invest in it back out.  If you fix it up to ride, you will get much more than your investment.

Welcome to our little corner of cyberspace & congrats on your new purchase!

H2O
If you have an accident on a motorcycle, it's always your fault. Tough call, but it has to be that way. You're in the right, and dead -on a bike. The principle is not to have any accident. If you're involved in an an accident, it's because you did not anticipate. Then, by default, you failed.

kwells

H20 got it in first but here are a couple other things

If you are new to the site you can probably find the info you need in the search function.  Welcome to ROV and most questions can be answered in a short time since just about every problem with the xz has been discussed at length. You will find this site invaluable as well as contacting a member known as Lucky.  He has put together an extensive wealth of XZ knowledge and manuals on disc and can be obtained for a nominal fee.  Your new bike can be taken from a junkyard model to rideable in under a season so get crackin!

Kwells
...a vision is never complete.

www.wellsmoto.com

ironb12s

I'm a relative newcomer myself, and have gleaned more information than I really wanted to know here.  :)

You're in good hands, now that you've found the Vision Riders!

Dip the carbs, line the tank, she'll be good to go.
SOC-UK 19744*MIG 821*IBA 9200*AMA 580210
+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
Book: "She don't look like much."
KayLee: "'Ah-uh, she'll fool ya."

kiawrench

check the rear brake bar!! there are bolts on both ends, replace all of them before you ride any vision you have owned more than 45 seconds!!

those bolts are subject to a lot of tension and a lot of moisture, over time they weaken and WILL shear off,and then one of three things will happen:
the rear bolt will snap, leaving you with little or no control over rotation of the rear drum assy ,and making a stop nearly impossible

the fronts will break, snapping the bar into the ground and then wrapping around the rear wheel, making a clean stop nearly impossible

or the worst possible, the fronts snap, dropping the rod directly into the pavement, tossing you and the bike into one ugly knot of dirt,metal and body parts. with any luck, you will end up as i did ,down a steep embankment in soft mud and dirt .with a few pine saplings to slow your slide .
keep your bike running,your beer cold ,and your passport handy.all are like money in the bank .

Tiger

:) Hi and welcome to the ROV "Family", the best place in town for any Vision and their new keeeper... ;)

There isnt much that the people on the ROV haven't found/seen/done/fix'd over the year's. I for one, wouldn't have had my first "V" for the past three year's, let alone one or two more ::), if it wasn't for the ROV "Family"...near and far 8). I have, at present, #7 in my garage along with #1, "The Mistress", an '82 & #5, "The Canadian", an '83... :o 8)...yes, I'm hooked, according to the phyco' doctor... :-\

So, if you really wan't to get your Vision, not just up-and-running, but running well, so you can get maximum enjoyment from it...USE US, use all of your new "family". Take one job at a time and you will get there, believe me... 8)

As already mentioned, If you don't already have one, get in touch with "Lucky" and acquire one of his C.D.'s They are a workshop manuel, part's manual (with part number's!!!), there are lot's of "How to" fix it help/hint's/tip/s, advertising feature's from '82/'83...they are a wealth of information, gathered over many year's... 8)

B.T.W...Where abouts are you situated...You may have someone from the family just around the corner from you :o... ;D :D :D :D :D... 8)

8).......TIGER....... 8)
Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming HOOOOYA lets go again baby !!!!!!

'82 Vision, Pearl Orange finish, lots of up-grades!!!