News:

Ridersofvision.net  welcomes you !

Main Menu

broken starter clutch

Started by steve, October 07, 2007, 06:55:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

steve

The bike worked super for thousands of miles until the stator failed a few weeks ago.  I replaced it and the bike worked great again.  Then Friday night the starter decided not to work.  Knowing the problems with the clutch I went right to work getting the cover off and with some effort, the flywheel.  Of course the flywheel went flying about a foot when it came loose but the springs and other parts went at least three feet completely missing my blanket!  Unfortunately, the clutch itself was cracked and the holes in the flywheel were totally distorted.  Too bad I didn't catch it sooner!  There is a wrecking yard with a 82 vision nearby but they're closed Sunday and Monday so I guess I'm driving the truck for a few days.  Maybe I'll see what they want for the whole engine!?   Bike has a tad under 31,000 miles.

Rick G

I have always said , every vision owner needs a couple of parts bikes !!!!
Rick G
Go soothingly on the grease mud, as there in lurks the skid demon
'82.5 Yamaha XZ550 RJ  Vision,
'90 Suzuki VX800, 1990 Suzuki DR350.
'74  XL350   Honda , 77 XL350 Honda, 78 XL350 Honda, '82 XT 200 Yamaha, '67 Yamaha YG1TK, 80cc trail bike

Tiger

Quote from: Rick G on October 08, 2007, 01:29:44 AM
I have always said , every vision owner needs a couple of parts bikes !!!!

...and whatever else you can lay your hand's on for your "V"... 8)

8).......TIGER....... 8)
Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming HOOOOYA lets go again baby !!!!!!

'82 Vision, Pearl Orange finish, lots of up-grades!!!

Night Vision

seems like starter clutches are starting to reach their life expectancy..... there have been a rash of cracked ones this year....
if it ain't worth doing it the hard way....
it ain't worth doing it at all - Man Law
;D

if it ain't broke..... take it apart and find out why

don't give up.... don't ever give up - Jimmy Valvano

kiawrench

a recent check of th eyammie shop, once they admitted the vision was a bike they built, was fruitful, the starter clutch ,springs and pins are all available, not too high priced either. have seen them sell for more on e-bay
keep your bike running,your beer cold ,and your passport handy.all are like money in the bank .

QBS

"Bike has a tad under 31,000 miles."

Steve, you are about 5k over the line.