News:

We rely on our supporters to help keep us running. Thank You!

Main Menu

"Serenity", a Firefly class spacecraft

Started by ironb12s, October 09, 2007, 05:08:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ironb12s

How many here know what is referred to in the subject line?

Does anyone of these Visionaries refer to their FPJE as "Serenity"?

Are we Visionaries all Browncoats?

Aelwulf and I would be curious to know....this is especially off topic, but we found relativity to the ROV... ;D
SOC-UK 19744*MIG 821*IBA 9200*AMA 580210
+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
Book: "She don't look like much."
KayLee: "'Ah-uh, she'll fool ya."

ColinthePilot

I've seen like two episodes of Firefly and recognized the subject...but not much after that.
Colin
It pissed me off, so I jammed a screwdriver into it, hit it with a hammer, and spun it around with a pair of vice grips. Let that serve as a warning

Aelwulf

Y'know, it's time I watched mine again.  I just brainfarted the numerical designation of mid-bulk transport. :P

Ah, such fun to be out riding...
*thunk*
What was that?!

'82 Yamaha Vision XZ550RJ
'07 Kawasaki Vulcan 1600 Mean Streak Special Edition (VN1600B)

Brian Moffet

I recognized it.  One of the greatest television series ever made.  The composer was told that the series was canceled before he wrote the music for "The Message", and it influenced him greatly.

Brian

Aelwulf

Yeah, you can hear the mournful bits coming through on it and the cast had been told as well which you can rather see in the end scene.

*thunk*
What was that?!

Brian Moffet

Speaking of which, it's playing on my iPod right now...  For those that might be wondering, the piece is called "The Funeral" and starts out with some really mournful oboes playing, followed quickly by violins.  Look it up on Amazon or iTunes.

Brian

Aelwulf

My ex in the Springs made evil use of a Serenity quote. :P She was joking with one of her guy friends about if they slept together (she copied the chat text, it was amusing).  He responded with the likelihood that she'd just do it to break him after.  She replied, "Yes, but I'd be very choked up about it.  Honest, there could be tears!"

She claimed after I first showed her the series that she liked it but she isn't a Browncoat.  However considering she's since bought the series and both versions of the DVD I believe I think I've made a minor convert out of her. :D

*thunk*
What was that?!

ironb12s

Most folks, when exposed to the series in the god-intended way it way supposed to be, understand what the series is about and embrace it...

Why is your 'X' in the Springs?  I thought that all X's were in Texas...   ;D

Aelwulf

Bah, far as I'm concerned Texas for the most part can break off and sink in the Gulf.  Sorry for any of ya's that are fans of it but I've been there several times (lived for a short bit a couple of assignments) and I've yet to see anything to endear it to me.  Possible exception might be the Eastern-most part, least that had some decent countryside in areas.

For a serious answer as to why she's there if ya wanted one: The AF told me to move (after it'd tol dme several times I wouldn't be), the Springs is home for her, neither of us could afford to move her out of pocket since we're not married, she has a kid I wouldn't have wanted to uproot just for someone she's dating, the kid's biological father is there and still in his life so wouldn't have wanted to change that just for someone she's dating, and although things were going well and perhaps eventually might've gone down the 'final road' neither of us figured it'd make sense to move halfway across the country when we weren't at least engaged yet in case it didn't work out (and we weren't going to get engaged just because I had to move).  So yeah, when I say I'm still single because of the AF I'm usually not exaggerating. :P Most folks just don't believe me.

*thunk*
What was that?!

ironb12s

OH, I SO didn't need to know that!    ;)  *reference to all things battery powered in "Serenity"

Brian Moffet

Quote from: ironb12s on October 26, 2007, 03:45:49 PM
OH, I SO didn't need to know that!    ;)  *reference to all things battery powered in "Serenity"

What was the next line, "I could stand to hear some more."

ironb12s

Just like Jayne, to get most poetical 'bout his pecker, and all things related...  *reference to "Heart of Gold"

ironb12s

Get this:  there's Browncoats on GSR as well...

This guy is theming a GS850GL resto in a Firefly theme:
http://home.insightbb.com/~havoc/

Aelwulf

03-K64, that's the numerical designator. :D It' snice being able to have my iPod here for a change, although probably not for long once the whole place becomes a classified work section. :P I was watching Train Job yesterday while working.

Right now I just have a bumper sticker and I think one of ArtCat's Firefly outlines on the truck (along with an FSM one).  If I were to get all rich & fanciful though I have considered making it Serenity themed as my own 'mid-bulk transport'. ;)

*thunk*
What was that?!

ironb12s

Quote from: Aelwulf on October 30, 2007, 02:03:49 PM
I was watching Train Job yesterday while working.

Our tax dollars at work, folks....       :) ;) :D ;D 8)

Right now I just have a bumper sticker and I think one of ArtCat's Firefly outlines on the truck (along with an FSM one).  If I were to get all rich & fanciful though I have considered making it Serenity themed as my own 'mid-bulk transport'. ;)

Graphics exist in abundance, just have to know where to find them...

I recently joined YouChoose off of the SerenityMovie site, there's a new collectors edition Serenity DVD out, and a push to get the series reinstated on a network that will leave things be...not FOX.   >:(

Aelwulf

Yeah, the new DVD came out in June/July (supposedly in part because Universal actually started running out of the original version).  While a redo of the series would be nice I wouldn't hold your breath unless you plan to turn into a smurf.  Fox won't release the rights and Joss doesn't want to go back to TV with it.  He's been pretty solid on that.  Yeah he said there wouldn't be a movie sequel either (and there might not be, but...)  but he's only said it once and it didn't sound near as solid as the TV comment.  Right now the main rumor is that because of the DVD sales (again) going nuts Universal is looking at a sequel movie, although possibly 'just' a direct to DVD one.  The rumor's persistent enough that QmX has dropped $5 off the price of their postcard sets people want folks to use for the mailing campaign (to help reinforce the "moichandicing" potential since QmX makes Universal-sanctioned props/items.  Regardless they'll make the money if they make another one.  Plus from the word on required income at the theaters it didn't miss their mark by much, and even if it missed by a million most big movies cost 3-4 times as much and often are lucky to make half that back.  Sooooo, we'll see.

I'm sure I could have someone make custom graphics or do a spray job for it (a good one though, not some of the cruddy types) but either way it costs money I don't have.

*thunk*
What was that?!

ironb12s

Just like FOX, to screw it up from the Get-Go, and then continue screwing it up in perpetuity...they never understood it, and likely never will.  It's not about shoot-em-up, grab-n-dash or anything like that, it's story-telling.

When I first saw it, it looked like something designing by the Star Trek folks, put in a timeframe between NOW and the Enterprize series.  Kinda like Star Trek meets Wild Wild West, when space was still something of a frontier, not the cosmic playground of Star Trek - even if "Space: The Final Frontier" is part of ST's lead in.

kiawrench

aelwulf--- easy way to get graphics is at nearest trade or tech school... i know ,almost always my answer for anything paint or picture related-- but you would be surprised how many good artists would love to pop a sketch or six onto a vehicle , esp if they can get some school credit out of it !!

i redid my home office with traced projection stuff i got from a few ,,, just used projector to put it up on walls and traced it using different size sharpies, then filled in using a set of chalks to add some interest, then top coated it all with some fixer,, instant room makeover for under 40.00 (actually came out pretty darn good-- just ask the wall with all the far-scape stuff on it
keep your bike running,your beer cold ,and your passport handy.all are like money in the bank .

Brian Moffet

I have to admit, "Out of gas" has some great visual and music pieces in it.

The concept of telling 3 time lines, denoting them by different lighting, exposure and film stock is great.

Brian

ironb12s

yes, i'd have to say "Out Of Gas" is my favorite episode...in fact, i got my sig from there...seemed appropriate to this forum, for some reason...not sure why...    ;D

Ael, may I call you "Ael"? is from "Shindig"   :)

Was "Honest, there could be tears..." from the episode after?  I recall Mal saying it to Zoe, just not when...