News:

We would like to thank our supporting members for their generosity.

Main Menu

how do you tell year of a vision ?

Started by arfa vmax, November 05, 2007, 03:15:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

arfa vmax

hello all ,bought my xz about a month ago and the registration document has just come for it,it has date of first registration as 1996! I guess it must be an import,it is on a X registration number plate (I live in the UK) which i think is 82/83.The carbs have the vacume unit on and air box has the flap but these could be mods.It dosent have a fuel gauge if that helps.I have a bought a pair of float needles off ebay as the p/o said they were shot,will they fit all year carbs? many thanks 

Tiger

:) arfa, have a look at the steering head neck...there will be a plate that will give you the year. It seems like you may have an '82...No gas gauge, single front brake disc, etc.

8).......TIGER....... 8)
p.s...Where in the U.K. are you ??? I'm a "Geordie" living in Canada... 8)
Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming HOOOOYA lets go again baby !!!!!!

'82 Vision, Pearl Orange finish, lots of up-grades!!!

Rick G

I'm not sure about Visions in the UK, but all other European XZ550s  have the dual disc front end . Go by the numbers.
Rick G
Go soothingly on the grease mud, as there in lurks the skid demon
'82.5 Yamaha XZ550 RJ  Vision,
'90 Suzuki VX800, 1990 Suzuki DR350.
'74  XL350   Honda , 77 XL350 Honda, 78 XL350 Honda, '82 XT 200 Yamaha, '67 Yamaha YG1TK, 80cc trail bike

ironb12s

Quote from: arfa vmax on November 05, 2007, 03:15:18 PM
hello all ,bought my xz about a month ago and the registration document has just come for it,it has date of first registration as 1996! I guess it must be an import,it is on a X registration number plate (I live in the UK) which i think is 82/83.The carbs have the vacume unit on and air box has the flap but these could be mods.It dosent have a fuel gauge if that helps.I have a bought a pair of float needles off ebay as the p/o said they were shot,will they fit all year carbs? many thanks 

As the XZ was only produced for 1982 and 1983, is it safe to say that the float needles are the same between the years?  Can a kit for a 1983 XZ carb be used for a 1982 XZ carb?  Or would the kit be more specific?  I suppose looking for the kit at the parts sources might be advised to answer this question...  unless the brain trust here knows off hand.   ;)
SOC-UK 19744*MIG 821*IBA 9200*AMA 580210
+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
Book: "She don't look like much."
KayLee: "'Ah-uh, she'll fool ya."

kwells

I dont think the needles are the same.  Interestingly enough the needles for the 83's are still available whereas the 82s are backordered. 

here's Dave's recommended resource:
http://www.hondayamahasuperstore.com/pages/parts/viewbrands/2/default.aspx

83 part: 11H-14107-20-00          NEEDLE VALVE ASS'Y (16G-14190-20)
82 part: 11H-14107-18-00          NEEDLE VALVE SET (11H-14107-00)

...a vision is never complete.

www.wellsmoto.com

h2olawyer

The US versions were 82 - 83 only.  I believe the same is true for Canada - but they got the cool red / white or white / red color schemes up there as well.  The Euro versions sold new through around 85.

For US models, the 83 carb kits (only available from Sisius Consolidated) will NOT work with the 82 carbs.  However, I'm fairly positive the needle & seat are the same for both years.  Ordering through Yamaha is the expensive way to go.  If desired, I can do a search, but I am pretty sure Old Bike Barn sells the needle & seat for Vision carbs.  They were used on other Mikunis as well.

H2O

If you have an accident on a motorcycle, it's always your fault. Tough call, but it has to be that way. You're in the right, and dead -on a bike. The principle is not to have any accident. If you're involved in an an accident, it's because you did not anticipate. Then, by default, you failed.

arfa vmax

i knew you would come up with the goods out there.will have a look at the headstock for a number,the front end was replaced with a honda one by the p/o At the moment the bike is in a barn and i dont get up there much.I have already bought the needles and seats,they were on ebay,will have a look at listing and see if there is a part number thanks all

gph

Well; which year came with the lower handle bars? I have an 82-The Runner-with low bars. The parts bike is an 82 with high bars.

Night Vision

83's got stock low risers... some 82 owners put them on because the riding position is "sportier"
if it ain't worth doing it the hard way....
it ain't worth doing it at all - Man Law
;D

if it ain't broke..... take it apart and find out why

don't give up.... don't ever give up - Jimmy Valvano

h2olawyer

Along with all 83s, the low risers were also part of the full fairng kit in late 82 when they were trying to sell all the boat anchors languishing on dealer's floors.  So, some 82s did come from the dealer with the low risers.  Not all dealers installed them with the fairings, however.

H2O
If you have an accident on a motorcycle, it's always your fault. Tough call, but it has to be that way. You're in the right, and dead -on a bike. The principle is not to have any accident. If you're involved in an an accident, it's because you did not anticipate. Then, by default, you failed.

Night Vision

Quote from: h2olawyer on November 07, 2007, 09:59:31 PM
Along with all 83s, the low risers were also part of the full fairng kit in late 82 when they were trying to sell all the boat anchors languishing on dealer's floors.  So, some 82s did come from the dealer with the low risers.  Not all dealers installed them with the fairings, however.

H2O

I have a feeling some dealers got lazy with the farkel kits.... My 82 side plastics and shark have decals, but the tank decals that came with the kit either weren't put on, or the tank was replaced. Judging by the tank's patina and character  ::), I don't think it was replaced. I did find the tank decals and added them later....

;D

Rick G

Hi Night,  they had to install the '83 risers , other wise the levers will hit the fairing at full lock.  Ask me how I know!  Rick
Rick G
Go soothingly on the grease mud, as there in lurks the skid demon
'82.5 Yamaha XZ550 RJ  Vision,
'90 Suzuki VX800, 1990 Suzuki DR350.
'74  XL350   Honda , 77 XL350 Honda, 78 XL350 Honda, '82 XT 200 Yamaha, '67 Yamaha YG1TK, 80cc trail bike

Tanno

I have the full fairing and the 82 risers. My levers don't hit at full lock. My gps did until I tweaked the mount just right. ;)
Industrial Technician by trade -- Curiosity by nature, tinkerer by choice.
"Handle every situation like a dog would. If you can't eat it or screw it; Piss on it and walk away!" -- Unknown

arfa vmax

cant wait to get up for another look at my xz now.It dosent have a fairing and has high risers for the bars.I need to do the starter fix this weekend and strip the carbs ready for the needles coming from south africa, to tiger i am from guiseley near leeds but my gran came from bishop aukland

Night Vision

Quote from: Rick G on November 08, 2007, 01:06:39 AM
Hi Night,  they had to install the '83 risers , other wise the levers will hit the fairing at full lock.  Ask me how I know!  Rick

That was H2O saying the dealers didn't always install the low risers. I said they cheated on the stickers  :(

;D

h2olawyer

There was a Vision in Steamboat that the guy bought from a dealer in Denver.  It had the full fairing installed, but the high risers were still on it.  He said it was a dealer installed fairing, and yes, the levers did hit.  Dealers aren't always thorough when installing options that don't give them much profit - as was the case with ANY options on the Vision.  They just wanted to get them off their floors!

H2O

arfa vmax

the sticker on the headstock says 04/82 so it is an 82.dont know if that makes it an early bike that has been recalled and modified with the airbox lid flap or a later factory done one.have to say the engine looks really good with the smooth engine cases,barrels and heads.glad mine is naked !

h2olawyer

4/82 would be a very late run 82.  Mine is 11/81.  The dealer did the air box modification to mine before I got it new in 84.

H2O

XZv2

Hello, arfa vmax, welcome to the wonderful XZ-world,
There are basically four types of xz550: the Euro type, engine and frame code+number beginning with 11U-XXX, the US 1982 RJ type beginning with 11H-000XXX, the US 1983 RK type beginning with 11H-1XXX, both US types nicknamed Vision.
Canada (that is a US type not sold in the US) has 11J-XXX.
Then there is the East Asia type sold in Japan and Austalia/New Zealand, codes 16R-XXX and 30R-XXX.
They all differ a little bit in specifications: the US 1982 is more a touring bike with high handlebars, up-front footrests and one brake disk up-front; the other ones have lower handlebars, more rear-set footrests and double brake discs.

I bought a few years ago in Holland an XZ550 originally sold new in Canada, code 11J-XXX,; Simcha bought in the UK an XZ400 sold new in Japan. This XZ400 only had the code (14X), no number on the engine.

As you think your XZ was imported secondhand in the UK, it may originate from anywhere. Check the frame code+number on the right side of the steering head and check the engine number on the right upper section of the engine. If we know what type of XZ550 it is, we know the original specification. See for more information my website xz550.nl topic different XZ550 models and topic XZ400.
XZv2

arfa vmax

float needles arrived today,they are part number 11h-14107-20 .Someone has written xz550 82 in pen on the parts bags so we will have to see if they fit.will have to go up with my torch and take the carbs off unless i can wait untill the weekend.