News:

Main Menu

Stator Burnout

Started by srfrank, October 23, 2007, 05:46:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ironb12s

Quote from: h2olawyer on October 25, 2007, 07:18:30 PM

The movie Lucky & I were going for with the sniffing comments was "Airplane".  You will find we occasionally put quotes or paraphrases in just to see who picks up on them.

H2

Ael and I do that with Firefly and Serenity, a more contemporary reference... (too bad there's no emoticon for nose in the air, walking away, eye closed)   :D
SOC-UK 19744*MIG 821*IBA 9200*AMA 580210
+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
Book: "She don't look like much."
KayLee: "'Ah-uh, she'll fool ya."

Aelwulf

Yeah, we don't have as much of a problem with gremlins as we do with terrifyin' space monkeys.  They muck up the compressor coils somethin' fierce.

On note of the other one: "She's fighting me!' *thump thwak bam*

I, too, have a drinking problem...

Ah, such fun to be out riding...
*thunk*
What was that?!

'82 Yamaha Vision XZ550RJ
'07 Kawasaki Vulcan 1600 Mean Streak Special Edition (VN1600B)

ironb12s

Quote from: Aelwulf on October 26, 2007, 05:03:51 AM
Yeah, we don't have as much of a problem with gremlins as we do with flying space monkeys.  They muck up the compressor coils somethin' fierce.

Space monkeys are gremlins evolved, mutated...   :D

On note of the other one: "She's fighting me!' *thump thwak bam*

"She usually tells me when somethin's wrong, 'guess I wasn't listening..."     ;)

I, too, have a drinking problem...

Not so, I find that it's the easiest thing that I do...   8)

VFan

Did anyone ever try this voltage regulator from this guy at Clear Labs? This thread just ended but I do have an interest.

My voltage output went from 13.5 down to 12.6 in just a month. It would be nice to get a stator and regulator that don't go out.

Regards

kev10104

I agree with VFAN.I would also be interested.

VFan

Here's a part of a reply from SrFrank when I pinged him ",It also became clear that the cost of producing them was going to be too high."

So with this in mind, does any have strong opinions on who manufactures the most reliable R/R compatible with the RJ?

Kid Jedi

The stator is a current device, when you disconnect the R/R form the system I think the voltage in the Stator would go crazy and cook the unit.

Here is my reasoning,
What generates the power in the stator/rotor system is the mechanical connection between the pieces, the field. Since you are not making a variable field system,  the stator will still be working at 100%, and with no place for the current to go it will spike in voltage and those are not high voltage windings.

My .005 Cent
Loves to over think things.

Rick G

Your correct Kid. when doing an output test on a stator, you run it long enough to see if it will put out the required 50 to 65 volts (depends on the bike) and then shut it off. Its a caution in all service manuals, Be brief!
Rick G
Go soothingly on the grease mud, as there in lurks the skid demon
'82.5 Yamaha XZ550 RJ  Vision,
'90 Suzuki VX800, 1990 Suzuki DR350.
'74  XL350   Honda , 77 XL350 Honda, 78 XL350 Honda, '82 XT 200 Yamaha, '67 Yamaha YG1TK, 80cc trail bike

ironb12s

Yeah, yeah, it's a topic with no new posts for more than 120 days, SFWhat!  Mebbe it just needs a BUMP.

Has our engineer come up with what the production of this unit would cost?  If it is to solve all of the R/R and Stator woes, at what cost thou?  Also, if it is applicable to more than just the Vision, would mass production bring the cost down?

Quote from: VFan on June 28, 2009, 10:55:34 AM
Here's a part of a reply from SrFrank when I pinged him ",It also became clear that the cost of producing them was going to be too high."

So with this in mind, does any have strong opinions on who manufactures the most reliable R/R compatible with the RJ?