News:

Ridersofvision.net  welcomes you !

Main Menu

Starter Seals

Started by mastergunny, October 25, 2007, 01:08:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mastergunny

Can anyone tell me how many seals are on the starter and where I might get them.

Seals=
O'Rings=

Gee, I take a look and see if there is a tech article on the starter.

Matt

ironb12s

Ask and thou shall receive:

http://www.ridersofvision.net/Technical/Starter/starter.html

Don't look now, but I think it's been done before?     ;D
SOC-UK 19744*MIG 821*IBA 9200*AMA 580210
+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
Book: "She don't look like much."
KayLee: "'Ah-uh, she'll fool ya."

h2olawyer

Seals - 1 in the nose.  Available at NAPA or other auto parts stores.  I don't have the Chicago Rawhide # handy, but I'm sure someone does.

O-Rings - 2 square cut.  Still available from Yamaha, but they want like $14 each for them.  Mine were expanded whan I did the seal replacement.  I managed to reuse them by getting the starter mostly tightened together & slowly stuffing them back into place.  Kind of a PITA, but it worked for me.

H2O
If you have an accident on a motorcycle, it's always your fault. Tough call, but it has to be that way. You're in the right, and dead -on a bike. The principle is not to have any accident. If you're involved in an an accident, it's because you did not anticipate. Then, by default, you failed.

Night Vision

Quote from: h2olawyer on October 25, 2007, 07:22:53 PM
Seals + 1 in the nose.  Available at NAPA or other auto parts stores.  I don't have the Chicago Rawhide # handy, but I'm sure someone does.

O-Rings - 2 square cut.  Still available from Yamaha, but they want like $14 each for them.  Mine were expanded whan I did the seal replacement.  I managed to reuse them by getting the starter mostly tightened together & slowly stuffing them back into place.  Kind of a PITA, but it worked for me.

H2O

H2O.... what do you mean by "Seals + 1 in the nose" ?

there are three o-rings and the nose seal... two o-rings are the square ones on the case, the other o-ring is a round one that goes on the outside of the nose that goes into the engine case.

the nose seal is Chicago Rawhide oil seal #7917

I don't think your square cut o-rings "expanded" out of the ordinary... so far, I've done three starters and all of them needed to have the square o-rings "finessed" back into place.... you just slowly tighten and work them back in as you go.... they do go back to where they were, and don't leak if done correctly... 
if it ain't worth doing it the hard way....
it ain't worth doing it at all - Man Law
;D

if it ain't broke..... take it apart and find out why

don't give up.... don't ever give up - Jimmy Valvano

h2olawyer

Finger slipped & I didn't proofread.  "Seals - 1 in the nose."  Fixed.

I think of the engine case / starter O-ring as part of the engine instead of the starter - maybe because mine stayed there when I took the starter out.  Forgot about it.   ::)

H2O
If you have an accident on a motorcycle, it's always your fault. Tough call, but it has to be that way. You're in the right, and dead -on a bike. The principle is not to have any accident. If you're involved in an an accident, it's because you did not anticipate. Then, by default, you failed.

couchflyer

Napa said this is a 20mm X 35mm X 6mm seal and their part number is: 7917 NOS
1982 Yamaha Vision ~ 1 Black & 1 Red
2008 Ducati Hypermotard S
2008 Ducati 1098 ~ Track only
Sola Scriptura

Kevin

I have the o rings for the starter nose piece. If anyone needs one.

jasonm.

you can always seal the starter using "Permatex ultra grey" instead of $14 o-rings. The internal seal...I still have a few better than OEM.
looks aren't important, if she lets you play by your rules

Rick G

Thanks Jason , I'll try the Permatex Ulta Grey , next time .
Rick G
Go soothingly on the grease mud, as there in lurks the skid demon
'82.5 Yamaha XZ550 RJ  Vision,
'90 Suzuki VX800, 1990 Suzuki DR350.
'74  XL350   Honda , 77 XL350 Honda, 78 XL350 Honda, '82 XT 200 Yamaha, '67 Yamaha YG1TK, 80cc trail bike

jasonm.

another trick...sounds crazy. But everyone knows that car oil filters use "square" o-rings. These o-rings do come off. I took a few off. But I don't remember which one fits our starter. But these oil filter ones are a bit thicker. But if you have a way of trimming them down...?  A simple measurement is all you need.
looks aren't important, if she lets you play by your rules