News:

We would like to thank our supporting members for their generosity.

Main Menu

Are Rick's Stators OK?

Started by Glyn, October 31, 2007, 06:36:21 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Glyn

I'm running on  a used  Yamaha stator at the moment but would like to get a new one as a backup.
Has anyone got a Rick's stator fitted? Do they seem well made and reliable?

h2olawyer

With my recent stator woes, I'm probably not a good one to talk about stator reliability.  I've been getting 1,000 miles per stator for the last 5 stators.  Had 2 OEM (installed used), 1 Electrosport, 1 Rick's & the current one is an Electrosport I got through RMStator.

I found the Rick's to be as good as the others.  They don't put the thicker outer insulation on their stators, so you see the windings.  They have been around for a few years, so that's a good sign.

H2O
If you have an accident on a motorcycle, it's always your fault. Tough call, but it has to be that way. You're in the right, and dead -on a bike. The principle is not to have any accident. If you're involved in an an accident, it's because you did not anticipate. Then, by default, you failed.

Superfly

I went w/ a Ricks.  It worked fine for me, no complaints. 
A bad marrage is like dirty carbs... It just makes everything else suck.

mastergunny

How do you get a Rick's stator???

Cdnlouie

I got about 10,000 miles from a Rick's stator.  I had a bad battery during the Rick's period and toasted the R/R connector which may have had some impact on its longevity.  It has worked as well as most.  There is new guy cranking out a good deal on stators.  He is on ebay and Tiger has one of his in now.  It seems to be a bit lower on output (takes his a while to get up to higher voltage) but seems to do the job well enough.

Here is Rick's site: http://www.ricksmotorsportelectrics.com/index.php?ch=stators

h2olawyer

Dennis Kirk also sells Rick's Electric products - stators & R/Rs.

The inexpensive ones on eBay are from Tim Parrott.  VisionMeister has one in his V.  Installed it in Colorado in June.  It was my spare & he needed one to get back to California.  As far as I know, it is still working for him.

H2O
If you have an accident on a motorcycle, it's always your fault. Tough call, but it has to be that way. You're in the right, and dead -on a bike. The principle is not to have any accident. If you're involved in an an accident, it's because you did not anticipate. Then, by default, you failed.

VisionMeister

Still working after about 2,000 miles.
Have you received Tim Parrot stator? Core was sent to him about three weeks ago now. I've heard he's very slow.

kiawrench

i went with one from rick's when i needed it,, working like a champ after almost 8k miles, outlasted my truck alternator!

i think i am really pushing the one i have, i ask a lot from it, but so far, it has not let me down, and hope it doesnt find out i was bragging on it .
keep your bike running,your beer cold ,and your passport handy.all are like money in the bank .

mastergunny

What are you guys doing to put loads on your stators?  Electric clothing or lots of lights?

h2olawyer

Quote from: VisionMeister on November 01, 2007, 01:55:10 PM
Still working after about 2,000 miles.
Have you received Tim Parrot stator? Core was sent to him about three weeks ago now. I've heard he's very slow.

Stator has not arrived as yet.  He was pretty fast when I ordered from him.  Tried emailing him a while back & never got a response, though.  This was before you ordered the stator from him.  I am in no hurry for the stator.  It will go in Tractor when I rebuild it this Winter.

H2O

Cdnlouie

Mastergunny, loads on stators are not an issue.  You can kill a battery with too much load, but not a stator.  They are 'loaded' by design, and run hot all the time.  They are just like a light bulb with a burn-out rating of ????? hours.  No sense worrying about it until it burns out  and then you just replace it.

Cheers my friend,