News:

Ridersofvision.net  welcomes you !

Main Menu

My just purchased bike wont start HELP PLEASE

Started by worldrider555, November 10, 2007, 10:53:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

don_vanecek

Gosh, it now sounds like your not getting fuel. Be sure your tank has enough fresh fuel, put fuel selector on prime.  Perhaps open the bleeder scews on the carb and let alittle gas run out the overflow tubes (outside!-no smoking!). Sometimes I have had to presserize the tank by, I said it, sealing it with my mouth and putting pressure in it.

If all else fails another way to eliminate if it is gas is to take off the tank so you can put small amounts of gas directly into the carbs and see it it will run-all but just for a second or two.

Rather frustrating since it ran when you bought it!

worldrider555

Well i figured it out, just needed new spark plugs.  Put some new ngk's in and she fired right up.  I just have never seen plugs die like that.  How do both plugs go bad at the same time?

Lucky

the weakest link fails first.  cheap insurance: cut 3/8" off both ends of both plug wires and replace the plug caps & boots.  if you can find a shop that sells solid core wire in bulk, pick up a few feet & replace the wires as well.
1982/3 XZ550 Touring Vison, Gold on Black

h2olawyer

Quote from: worldrider555 on November 28, 2007, 08:44:02 PM
Well i figured it out, just needed new spark plugs.  Put some new ngk's in and she fired right up.  I just have never seen plugs die like that.  How do both plugs go bad at the same time?

Happened to inanecathode last spring as well.  Agreed - goofy thing happening.  Another instance that proves Tiger right - change the plugs & wires as part of your initial list of pre-run projects!

H2O
If you have an accident on a motorcycle, it's always your fault. Tough call, but it has to be that way. You're in the right, and dead -on a bike. The principle is not to have any accident. If you're involved in an an accident, it's because you did not anticipate. Then, by default, you failed.

Tiger

8) Praise be...another convert :o ;D ;D :D :D :D :D :D :D... ;)
:) NEW Spark plug's, Plug wire's and Plug cap's are a must buy when you acquire a Vision...running or not!!!

8).......TIGER....... 8)
Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming HOOOOYA lets go again baby !!!!!!

'82 Vision, Pearl Orange finish, lots of up-grades!!!

Night Vision

yeah man! and don't use the resistor type plugs if you have resistor type caps
if it ain't worth doing it the hard way....
it ain't worth doing it at all - Man Law
;D

if it ain't broke..... take it apart and find out why

don't give up.... don't ever give up - Jimmy Valvano

worldrider555

whats resistor type plugs.  I got plugs with the threads on the top part where the cap goes in, thats what was on there when i got it.  Bike runs great now, starts with no choke and idles perfect

Night Vision

the plug will have an "R" in the part number like (NGK) DR8EA as opposed to D8EA
if it ain't worth doing it the hard way....
it ain't worth doing it at all - Man Law
;D

if it ain't broke..... take it apart and find out why

don't give up.... don't ever give up - Jimmy Valvano

worldrider555

steve

Hey, I ride my V daily or did until I had a week's vacation and went out of town and there the bike stood.  Then I tried to start it on a 25 degree cold morning and it just wouldn't start.  I always have trouble on very cold mornings and so does the bike!  Anyway it turned out that the rear spark plug was well worn and the front one was totally worn out.  I replaced them and it runs great!  Of course, now its raining all this week.  Steve

Rick G

I've never tried to start a Vision at 25 deg.  at that temp there's bound to be ice on the road  . Probably black ice at that.  I don't ride below 38. deg  I ::) don't like falling down!
Rick G
Go soothingly on the grease mud, as there in lurks the skid demon
'82.5 Yamaha XZ550 RJ  Vision,
'90 Suzuki VX800, 1990 Suzuki DR350.
'74  XL350   Honda , 77 XL350 Honda, 78 XL350 Honda, '82 XT 200 Yamaha, '67 Yamaha YG1TK, 80cc trail bike