Ridersofvision.net  welcomes you !

Main Menu

Greetings from a newby

Started by bufallobiff, November 17, 2007, 07:41:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bufallobiff

I was looking through our local Craigslist and happened to come across this:

http://jacksonville.craigslist.org/mcy/481954052.html

I did some investigating as I am not at all familiar with this model. Accd. to some, they are prone to carb problems and various other ailments and were only sold for two years in the states. Being a member of two other M/C boards I figured that the best place to find out would be to come to a 550 board and ask those who own them. Who would know more than them? The scooter looks to be all there and in decent shape and 500 bucks doesn't seem a whole lot to pay if it runs at all. What say ye?

kwells

Well you're on track with the details...basically the fuel system has some issues that need sorting from any new owner.  It is a 5 speed, not a 6 but that one looks like a good deal for the 500
...a vision is never complete.

www.wellsmoto.com

bufallobiff

Quote from: kwells on November 17, 2007, 08:05:34 PM
Well you're on track with the details...basically the fuel system has some issues that need sorting from any new owner.  It is a 5 speed, not a 6 but that one looks like a good deal for the 500

That's OK with me. My kid has a Kawi 650r and you're down shifting forever every time you stop.

h2olawyer

A running, titled 82 is worth $500  The photos of this one show that it appears to be all there.

The carb issues are that they need to be spotlessly clean & then fiddled with to get them working right.  Once done, they work OK.

There were a bunch of upgrades made for the 83 model year and improved carbs were among the fixes.  I paid $500 for one last Spring and it looked about like the one you have found.

When the bugs are sorted out, these bikes are a blast & you won't run into many of them out on the roads.  Best of all, this forum has a bunch of great, helpful folks.

Go take a look at it & if you like what you see, make an offer.  If you end up paying his full asking price, you won't go wrong.  The 5 gears are plenty - the Vision has a generously wide powerband & good, usable torque!

H2O
If you have an accident on a motorcycle, it's always your fault. Tough call, but it has to be that way. You're in the right, and dead -on a bike. The principle is not to have any accident. If you're involved in an an accident, it's because you did not anticipate. Then, by default, you failed.

ironb12s

Ah, Butt welcome to the family of Visionaries.  It's a very interesting motorcycle, compared to others, with many technological advantages of it's day.  Way ahead of it's time.  The next motorcycle like it was the VX800 by Suzuki, 10 years later.   ;)

You'll find a very rabid following here...   ;D  Even if mine is in pieces, it's still on the docket to be roadable...
SOC-UK 19744*MIG 821*IBA 9200*AMA 580210
+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
Book: "She don't look like much."
KayLee: "'Ah-uh, she'll fool ya."

Tiger

:) Hi & welcome to our wee family...the best place a Vision can bring their owner(s)... :D :D :D :D... 8)

North American production was "82 & '83...'81 to '85 across Europe... ::)

I'm kinda biased to the "V", as I have three of the wee bugger's ;) but they really are a great bike to own a ride, a real head turner when your with the bike crowd.
Clean the carb's and add an in-line gas filter between the petcock and carb's and you'll be fine once you've dialled her in. There are a number of up-grades you can do, but that comes with time and experience with a Vision... 8)

8).......TIGER....... 8)
Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming HOOOOYA lets go again baby !!!!!!

'82 Vision, Pearl Orange finish, lots of up-grades!!!

QBS

Welcome to the group.  If you buy this bike, be sure to find out if the starter motor has the upgraded internal oil seal, and if the starter clutch has been reattached.  These are two absolutely unavoidable fixes/upgrades that demand accomplishment at approximatly 10k and 25k miles respectively.  However, don't allow these issues to be deal killers for you.  Once they are correctly fixed, they are permanently fixed.  All the best.