Take the battery out or let the tender tend it??

Started by don_vanecek, November 19, 2007, 09:37:04 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

don_vanecek

I have always in the past taken my battery out of the Vision for the winter and stored it in the basement, but last Christmas I gave it a battery tender.

So now I'm wondering if I should just run the tender once a week or so or if it would still be better the take it out??? Assuming a normal NE winter it will be subject to perhaps a few weeks of zero temperatures out in the back of the garage.

Opinions??

Lucky

if it's a fully automatic battery tender (like a "Jr") you can leave it on all the time.  that's how it should be used.

--Lucky
1982/3 XZ550 Touring Vison, Gold on Black

Aelwulf

Aye, I've got the Plus and I've just been leaving it plugged in & hooked up while working on it lately.  No, not while doing electrical stuff. :P

Ah, such fun to be out riding...
*thunk*
What was that?!

'82 Yamaha Vision XZ550RJ
'07 Kawasaki Vulcan 1600 Mean Streak Special Edition (VN1600B)

h2olawyer

My Battery Tender Jr. is connected whenever I'm not out riding.  Of course, I'm the one going through stators every thousand miles, too.  Still, the battery acts like new (3 full years on it now).  One of the few times I didn't hook up the battery tender was the last time I came home from the race track.  Had my fan switch on & forgot about it.   ::)  Boy was the battery flat!  Was headed out on a ride, so I just took the battery from Tractor (also on a battery tender) and swapped it into Silver V.  Hadn't done anything with that battery since June & it worked great.

When I got the Interstate battery, I told them it lives on a Battery Tender Jr. & they said the battery should last at least 5 years & probably longer with it.  Without it, they said figure on maybe 2 seasons if it isn't ridden during the winter.

Just hook the battery up, plug in the tender & forget it.  If your V is subjected to freezing temps while stored, it might be a good idea to remove the battery & store it in a warmer spot - still connected to the tender.

H2O

If you have an accident on a motorcycle, it's always your fault. Tough call, but it has to be that way. You're in the right, and dead -on a bike. The principle is not to have any accident. If you're involved in an an accident, it's because you did not anticipate. Then, by default, you failed.

don_vanecek

Thanks so far, one of the reasons I was hoping not to take it out is I cringe everytime I undue the side panels (someone remind me, I should put what on the snaps, grease?).

QBS

Grease the heck out of the plastic male part and the rubber female part.

67GTO

You don't need to remove the battery even if the temp is below freezing if you have it on a battery
tender. A battery will only freeze if it is completely dead.
" Like a dream he flies away, no more to be found,
banished like a Vision of the night."
                                                Job 20:8    NIV

Lucky

Quote from: QBS on November 19, 2007, 07:25:41 PM
Grease the heck out of the plastic male part and the rubber female part.

I allways seem to have a problem with old rubber swelling over time when i do that, so i use dry lubricants, graphite, elmers dry, even talcum powder...
1982/3 XZ550 Touring Vison, Gold on Black