News:

Main Menu

golf

Started by arfa vmax, November 22, 2007, 06:24:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

arfa vmax

hi all    just looking at some of the locations you guys live at and lots of you live near golf courses. Are they really popular in the US,is it just a coincedence or do I need to get my V sorted quickley before my quality of life deteriates further? :-[

Aelwulf

If I happen to be one it's coincidence (no small part I'm sure due to the tendency of AF bases to have one on or near the base).  Only golf I play is driving range or has a really annoying clown over a waterfall.

Ah, such fun to be out riding...
*thunk*
What was that?!

'82 Yamaha Vision XZ550RJ
'07 Kawasaki Vulcan 1600 Mean Streak Special Edition (VN1600B)

h2olawyer

I was a fairly avid golfer until a year ago or so.  Now spending the $$$$$$ on the V.   ;D  Guess I finally got that priority in order.

As for public courses, there are 4 good courses and one awesome one within 20 miles of me.  Plus, there are two "executive / par 3" courses.  Also, there are 5 private country clubs (members & guests only) in that same area.  This serves a population base of around 300,000.

I was a once a week player for a few years & got my handicap down to 12.  Basically, that means on a par 72 course, I'd normally shoot an 84.  My goal was to break 80 on a regular basis but since I got more involved with the V, that goal has yet to be met.  I'm pretty consistent - not too many rounds higher or lower than my handicap.  Very rarely under 80 or over 90.  Still, it's a good enough game to go out with scratch golfers (0 handicap) and not aggravate them too much with slow play.  Haven't swung a club in over a year, so I don't know how bad I would be now.  Probably lucky to break 90 at this point.  As a lawyer, I figured I'd better learn the game well enough to not get laughed at if I get invited out by colleagues, clients or potential employers.

I'd use a round of golf as part of an employment interview.  Great test of character & temper.   ;D  Maybe if my practice takes off & I need to hire some help, I can test out that theory.

H2O
If you have an accident on a motorcycle, it's always your fault. Tough call, but it has to be that way. You're in the right, and dead -on a bike. The principle is not to have any accident. If you're involved in an an accident, it's because you did not anticipate. Then, by default, you failed.

Lucky

I believe it is a sad fact that there is more acerage used in this country for golf courses than there is in the entire state of RI, yet we have hundreds of thousands who will spend the cold winter outside homeless...

--Lucky
1982/3 XZ550 Touring Vison, Gold on Black

Tiger

Quote from: h2olawyer on November 22, 2007, 07:07:37 PM
I was a fairly avid golfer until a year ago or so.  Now spending the $$$$$$ on the V.   ;D  Guess I finally got that priority in order.

8)...DITTO 8) I haven't picked up a club these past two year's... :o Here in southern Ontario, we have some of the finest courses. However, Scotland is THE place for golfer's... 8)

Sadly Lucky, there will always be the have's and the have not's...Some of those people do choose to be where they are... :-\...Bare in mind the extravagance's of our western society, armament, car's, all the labour saving device's we all have, etc...It is the society we live in today.

8).......TIGER....... 8)
Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming HOOOOYA lets go again baby !!!!!!

'82 Vision, Pearl Orange finish, lots of up-grades!!!

Lucky

True, a very very few do choose it, but we could do more...
1982/3 XZ550 Touring Vison, Gold on Black

kiawrench

golf? you want to maybe play golf?

pick your poison from the list
Aberdeen 
Angels Trace
Arcadian Shores
Arrowhead
Barefoot - Dye
Barefoot - Fazio
Barefoot - Love
Barefoot - Norman
Black Bear
Blackmoor
Burning Ridge
Caledonia
Crow Creek Golf Club
Crown Park
Woodland Valley Country Club (formerly Diamond Back)
Dunes Golf Club
Eagle Nest
Farmstead Golf Links
Glen Dornoch
Grande Dunes
Heather Glen
Heritage Club
Heron Point
Indian Wells
Indigo Creek
International Club
Legends-Parkland
Legends-Moorland
Legends-Heathland
Lion's Paw
Litchfield 
Long Bay Club 
Man O'War
Meadowlands
Myrtle Beach National King's North 
Myrtle Beach National Southcreek 
Myrtle Beach National West 
Myrtlewood Palmetto
Myrtlewood Pinehills
Oyster Bay
Panther's Run
Pawleys Plantation
Pearl East
Pearl West
Pine Lakes
Possum Trot
Prestwick CC
River Club 
River Hills
River Oaks Golf Plantation
Rivers Edge
Sandpiper Bay
Sea Trail - Byrd
Sea Trail - Jones
Sea Trail - Maples
Shaftesbury Glen
Thistle Golf Club
Tidewater
Tigers Eye
TPC of Myrtle Beach
Tradition Club
True Blue
Wachesaw Plantation E.
Waterway Hills 
Wedgefield
Wicked Stick
Wild Wing Avocet
Wild Wing Falcon
Willbrook Plantation 
Witch
Wizard

folks, these are the public courses, not even listing the world tour private courses, country clubs , and those in rebuild, or restoration condition as of this week .

i think those two categories will just about double the list !
yes, i think golf is somewhat of a major draw here , seeing as how most of these courses are open year round.
keep your bike running,your beer cold ,and your passport handy.all are like money in the bank .

h2olawyer

I knew So. Carolina was a golf mecca, but that's amazing.  You would be amazed at teh list I could put together for Colorado.  Out on the eastern plains, there are several courses with sand greens.  You rake them after putting!  A course called "Haymaker" near Steamboat is carved through hay meadows.  It is a very links-style course.  True out & back layout & the hay (mostly Timothy) bears a striking resemblence to the heather in Scotland.  The only things missing are the seashore & the dreary skies!  It is a public course, owned by the city of Steamboat Springs but greens fees run about $100 for 18 holes.  Cart included & walking is not permitted.  Why play golf if you can't walk?!?

H2O
If you have an accident on a motorcycle, it's always your fault. Tough call, but it has to be that way. You're in the right, and dead -on a bike. The principle is not to have any accident. If you're involved in an an accident, it's because you did not anticipate. Then, by default, you failed.

kiawrench

H2O, those are the courses in one county! all of those courses are inside the boundary of horry county,sc.. the majority are inside the jurisdiction of myrtle beach police dept!!

we have more golf courses than :

churches
grocery stores
quickie marts

almost every available acre of land is scheduled for either a golf course, or some sort of hotel now, everything else has stuff on it already. guess it will hit the fan when they start tearing down housing to put in country clubs

keep your bike running,your beer cold ,and your passport handy.all are like money in the bank .