News:

We would like to thank our supporting members for their generosity.

Main Menu

Hardwiring a GPS Receiver

Started by MotorPlow, November 24, 2007, 04:00:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MotorPlow

Hello All,
I've aquired a used Garmin GPS V Deluxe. It came with a 12v adapter which is basically a plug at the receiver end and 4 bare wires at the other (Red, Black, Brown, Yellow). Anyone have experience hardwiring this unit to a 12v motorcycle? No instructions came with the 12v adapter. I am assuming: Red=Power, Black=Ground, Other two wires=??????.

Any help=appreciation,
MotorPlow

YellowJacket!

Lucky did something like that a couple months ago.  He's gone for the weekend and can probaly give you the answer when he gets back.
I think he rigged up an adapter that uses the USB port on his GPS to power it with.

David

Living the dream - I am now a Physician Assistant!!   :-)

Lucky

Broadcasting live from sunny Tampa, Florida...

my Garmin GPS indeed has a USB port, I i noticed that when i plug in the GPS it powered up 7 charged the battery...

taking a chance on bricking my GPS, i bought a generic USB to car lighter, cell phone adapter. it worked.

ii just velcroed my GPS between the fafing & windshield.

Mondo Cool!

i would think that brown & yellow are 5v + & -...

--Lucky
1982/3 XZ550 Touring Vison, Gold on Black

MotorPlow

The PC to GPS Parrell Port cable plugs into the same port on the GPS Unit. The cables are the same except the 12v adapter doesn't have the parrell port connector on it, just 4 bare wires. I am assumming that the extra 2 wires send and receive for the pc to GPS connection and not used when hard wiring to a 12v system.  (???)

Extent

according to the owners manual brown and white are Serial data In/Out respectively.  All you need for installation are black and red.
Rider1>No wonder, the Daytona has very sharp steering and aggressive geometry.  It's a very difficult bike for a new rider.
Rider2>Well it has different geometry now.

Lucky

I only know enough to be dangerous, you might need to include a fuse & some way of limiting peak voltage...???
1982/3 XZ550 Touring Vison, Gold on Black

Extent

There should be a fuse already in that wiring harness, if it hasn't been cut.  It is intended for automotive installation so it'll range from 10V up to 48, no additional regulator necessary. 

Normally that is a concern though, if you take just a plain 12v device and wire it straight up there's a very very good chance of causing damage to it.
Rider1>No wonder, the Daytona has very sharp steering and aggressive geometry.  It's a very difficult bike for a new rider.
Rider2>Well it has different geometry now.

MotorPlow

Got it done, works great! I guess it does help to read the owner's manual sometimes.
I actually wired it to an old cigarette lighter cell phone charger for vehicle use and I will find a another 12v cable on ebay for the Vision.

Thanx for the help....
MP