News:

Main Menu

Paint scheme

Started by nvdranger, July 26, 2004, 06:47:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

nvdranger

Now that the V has ran for over a week without something breaking (knock on wood) I think the bugs are FINALLY worked out and I can move onto the Paint/cleanup. ?I was thinking of working my helmet design into the scheme. ?Obviously with Lucky Schwarzenegger we have some good image people on the site. ?What image applications are you using? ?This is what I want I want to work into the scheme. ?Keep the frame black and maybe replicate design onto the tank. ?Then work on the plastics from there. ? ?Hopefully I can get some help and see how it would look prior to actually doing it and see if I like. ?Its just a thought.  I really like B.I.T.S. paint and may do a red and black with white pin stripes or...i dont know.

Thanks
Ken
'82 Vision project.  First Vision, First Bike.
Sometimes monkeys die, Sometimes monkeys die.  It not a good saying, but its a saying.

Blake

I think that'd scheme would look pretty cool if you could figure out the design to flow with the lines of the vision.

Im actually in the closing parts of painting mine. (went with good ole' rustolium)  everythings a  nice royal blue, however, today i experimented with an aluminum metallic "racing stripe" down the center of the tail (4" wide)..  either its too humid or the paint wasnt completely dry, but it started to crinkle..oddly enough, it actually doesnt look all that bad..sort of like diamond plate..in a weird way..  not want i wanted, but if it comes out nice and smooth on the other parts ill redo the tail...but im going to follow the big silver line up the tank, headlight bucket and fender (maybe 5" on tank..the size of the flat part on top..maybe 4" on headlight bucket, and the width of the flat part on the front fender)..  im just hoping me bringing all the parts in to dry overnight in the bathroom where no one can touch them will help dry them out.  I only did 1 coat on the tank so far,  want to get 2 more on it, but everything else is ready for clearcoat (or silver line).

haha..also... to go with helmet design... since i wont have my bike for a few weeks after this weekend, and since i really need to get a new helmet..i was thinking of painting my helmet the same color, with the silver stripe..  be a little bit of a "squid" :)

good luck with the paint..but also..would you happen to have a better picture of that helmet/design?  or could tell me what model it is?   i MIGHT be able to screw around with photoshop at work and do something with imprinting that design on a picture of the bike..  

Blake
"At first it's like a new pair of underware... Frustrating and constrictive.  But then, it kind of grows on you..."

Extent

That design might be a little hard to make work on the vision I think, especially if yours is still naked.  I've done some concept work w/ what I'm thinking of painting mine, I want a sportier look, but I had a hard time getting a pattern that fit the lines of the vision.  I'll post what I came up with for mine when I get home.  Put up a picture of your bike to chop and I'll see what I can come up with to look like that helmet.
Rider1>No wonder, the Daytona has very sharp steering and aggressive geometry.  It's a very difficult bike for a new rider.
Rider2>Well it has different geometry now.

nvdranger

I'll get a pic up tonight when I get off work.  I would like to learn the image stuff as well, which application/program are you using?
I didn't think about getting the lines of the bike to match :-/ mmm...wonder if i should just do a similar style to B.I.T.S. since i like to way that looks.  I'll get that pick up around 2130 central time tonight.

Thanks
Ken
Sometimes monkeys die, Sometimes monkeys die.  It not a good saying, but its a saying.

Extent

Ok well I forgot I didn't have the image at home, but here it is anyway, this is just the first revision.  Appologies to Will Hillebrenner, who's photo I mercilessly butchered.  
Rider1>No wonder, the Daytona has very sharp steering and aggressive geometry.  It's a very difficult bike for a new rider.

nvdranger

now i wish i could do that, you didn't butcher it that badly in my opinion lol.  it doesn't have to be perfect but i could fool around and get a good idea of what it would look like.  The g/f wants a full face helmet and I came across the exact helmet I have on ebay for $40 :o, then everything would match ;D.  can you tell i'm a little anal when it comes to my toys?

Ken

Blake

oh man!!

Extent.. whered you get that yellow/black scheme from?  when i first glanced at it..first thing that came to mind... kenny roberts' racer:..hehe..definately not the same..but i like what you did especially with the seat area.

http://www.650motorcycles.com/Rabbit.html

thats a "replica" of one of his 650 racers (paint scheme at least...)..  i definately think thatd look hot on the vision..

nice work with the photoshop.
"At first it's like a new pair of underware... Frustrating and constrictive.  But then, it kind of grows on you..."

Extent

Wow, the yel/black is pure coincedence.  All of my gear happens to be red and I wanted something that would "match" for the color.  Blue is what I really wanted but that dosent go well, red just dosen't seem quite "right" on it, just too plain.  Yellow just happened to be the next color, I actually thing the vision would look pretty sweet, even in just a plain yellow color.  The pattern just came out of the lines of the vision the best I could.  I looked at a whole bunch of pictures of different sportbikes paint schemes for ideas.  I tried sections and curves and broken lines and nothing really worked, and the only reason I think this works at all is w/ the rear seat removed, otherwise there's just not enough body on the bike to pull it off.

I can't wait till I've got some money laying around, then it's off to the junkyards to look for a new tail and round headlight and/or front quarter fairing.  I may just have to get into fibreglass and do it myself.

Blake

I really have to agree... theres not enough body work on the bike to do any major "scheme" to it... especially with past the mid bike..all your really looking at is the long thin side plastic..

but one thing...  

i had painted my bike all yellow before (then subsequently laid it down...i guess when they say 15mph in those SHARP (about 120 degree) turns...30 just wont cut it..especially with gravel :)

but to give you an idea if you wanted to see.

http://filebox.vt.edu/users/bstoddar/Vision/yellow/

it actually came out pretty nice..  wish i had painted the battery cover and the cooresponding part on the other side black.. with those yellow too it sort of disrupted the "flow" of the lines.

Blake

Extent

Ya I see what you mean, that's what the Large black triangle above, and the black kick pannel thing try to do, to break up the side and make it look like it belongs.

nvdranger

This is the best pic I've got.  Hope it will work.  

Are you using Adobe Photoshop for this?  I was searching the net earlier and these programs are pretty expensive, but I would like to learn this stuff.  Is there a cheap or free version I could get off download.com or kazaa to learn the basics?

Thanks
Ken

Extent

cheap free legal version off Kazaa?  no.  Tho often cited alternatives would be PaintShop Pro (shareware I belive) and Gimp (freeware)

You could also look into finding educational pricing for the software if someone you know is still in school.  Or try finding an older version out there somewhere for cheap.  Photoshop has changed alot of it's more advanced features in the last couple versions, but the core product is pracically the same since V5 at least.  If you're just looking to learn it wouldn't hurt you at all.

PS. I dont suppose there is a larger version of that picture thru a direct link to the cardomain site?

nvdranger

http://www.cardomain.com/memberpage/353819/7  
thanks for the info.  i talked to the g/f's father and he has an older version of photoshop.  although probably not legal i'll use it til i have the money to buy one.

Ken

admin

heh heh,
 I've been toying with the Kenny Roberts bumblebee thing since I had my old rd350, there is a great picture on the front of the Haynes manual for that bike with that paint scheme, I wish I still had it....  Kenny Roberts is Awesome.
 Never came up with a design I was happy with.
 here's one of my sad attempts ( on the computer of course )
 this bike belongs to someone, I can't remember who, so  if it's yours, sorry 'bout that... ;)

btw, photoshop is awesome but very pricey. I use paint shop pro for just about everything, easier learing curve, can do almost everything that you can in photoshop and I believe I picked it up for like 69 bucks a couple of years ago on some kind of special deal.   I think photoshop at the time was 499.00  {OUCH!}

-Ron

Corrrection, that would be the Clymer manual not the Haynes manual.

Brian Moffet

QuoteAre you using Adobe Photoshop for this?

Try Photoshop CS, it's about 99 bucks, and has most of the utility of full Photoshop.

Brian

crazyjimmy

Or you can download it for a 30 day trial for free athttp://www.adobe.com/products/tryadobe/main.jsp.

Pojo

I would highly reccomend The Gimp. Its a freeware program with all the tools that photoshop has, and if you havent learned any graphics programs yet it shouldnt bee to hard to learn. It also supports teh GNU.