News:

Ridersofvision.net  welcomes you !

Main Menu

This is convenient

Started by vadasz1, January 21, 2008, 09:26:05 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

vadasz1

Has anyone seen this gizmo?  It's an electric shifter for motorcycles.

http://secure.mycart.net/catalogs/catalog.asp?prodid=5005160
Keep it upright and she'll always be happy!

'82 Vision XZ550RJ with full fairing, shaved tail light housing and covered in blue hammertone enamel.

williamruck

Brian_Matthewson

Yeah, but $800  :( :( :( :( !!!!!!!
1982 Vision rider from 1991 to 2012.

QBS

I can see it for up shifts where momentarely killing the ignition will unload the shifting dogs.  Same as doing a clutchless snap shift.  But, with clutchless down shifting, there no way to unload the drag of engine braking from the transmission except through very carefull matching of engine RPM to bike speed so that there is little or no internal transmission stress.  Keep the RPM right in the middle of the drivetrains' slack/play.

Don't do this, and just start hitting your down shift button....Get ready to rebuild your transmission.

inanecathode

It's an automatic foot so you can stomp your trans into gear :D
//////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////
If you can't tell your friend to kiss your ass then they aren't a true friend.
//////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////

zore

I have seen those.  A friend had one on an R1.  Probably a little overkill for the xz :)
1982 Yamaha XZ550
1995 Ducati M900

williamruck

"Overkill"? Considering I paid $350 for my Vision $800 is a bit of overkill. I sent the link to a friend you has a Triumph Daytona and he seemed pretty interested. But me? I think I just worry abut making my xz road worthy first. Still though, it's a pretty cool gadget.

kwells

well if u only look at raw dollars in comparison to what many V owners paid for their ride...then you would not buy new tires because they are 150.00. 1/2 the value of the BIKE

But that gizmo really wouldn't benefit the V despite its cost
...a vision is never complete.

www.wellsmoto.com

williamruck

In my mind, when it comes to things like this "benefit" isn't always the overriding factor in a decision, but "cool" might be more of the deciding force.

Tanno

I agree....sometimes "cool" overrides "necessity" or "practicality".
Industrial Technician by trade -- Curiosity by nature, tinkerer by choice.
"Handle every situation like a dog would. If you can't eat it or screw it; Piss on it and walk away!" -- Unknown

inanecathode

Make it yours man, thats all i can say. If you want an auto shifter, get it, if you want a radio, get it. The V is truly a unique vehicle, the fact that you have one negates the cost effective end of things.
If you can't tell your friend to kiss your ass then they aren't a true friend.

louthepou

It's convenient if you lost your left leg in a car / war / construction / coffee grinder incident...

Other than that, that money should get you a good 3 Visions with which you can make one good roller...

;D

Lou
Hi, my name is Louis, and I'm a Vision-o-holic

zore

Quote from: louthepou on January 27, 2008, 07:37:05 AM
It's convenient if you lost your left leg in a car / war / construction / coffee grinder incident...

Other than that, that money should get you a good 3 Visions with which you can make one good roller...

;D

Lou

+1

Just because you can do something, doesn't mean you should.
1982 Yamaha XZ550
1995 Ducati M900