Finally got some work done.

Started by Tiffanator, January 28, 2008, 09:02:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Night Vision

Quote from: Tiffanator on January 29, 2008, 09:02:21 PM
......Thanks all. Hopefully I won't drag this problem out for 13 pages like the tank... which.. is still holding fuel.. thank you.. thank you.
Tiff.

aww... let's get at least more than one page.......

Quote from: DaveTN on January 29, 2008, 08:08:54 PM
My theory on the flywheel:  The last person who worked on the bike let it fall over with the cover off and it got gouged.

David

plausible explanation.... let's go with that
if it ain't worth doing it the hard way....
it ain't worth doing it at all - Man Law
;D

if it ain't broke..... take it apart and find out why

don't give up.... don't ever give up - Jimmy Valvano

inanecathode

Someone got pissed when the rotor wasn't coming off with the puller. So they smacked it.
Unfortunately this didn't free the flywheel. This earned the hapless flywheel the aforementioned scar, and earned the unfortunate worker a pink slip. The former becoming what you're seeing now, and the latter resulting in a cheap bachelor pad in lower downtown Charlotte.
//////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////
If you can't tell your friend to kiss your ass then they aren't a true friend.
//////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////

YellowJacket!

Thanks all. Hopefully I won't drag this problem out for 13 pages like the tank... which.. is still holding fuel.. thank you.. thank you.
Tiff.

Heh heh heh...they're adding up quickly.  ;D  yer pretty poplar round here.

;D

David

Living the dream - I am now a Physician Assistant!!   :-)

Tiffanator

Quote from: DaveTN on January 29, 2008, 09:32:41 PM
Thanks all. Hopefully I won't drag this problem out for 13 pages like the tank... which.. is still holding fuel.. thank you.. thank you.
Tiff.

;D

David

Yeah.. its cause I'm a dingbat and it takes more than one page to explain things so that I'll understand.  ;D

Thinking more about the flywheel... perhaps someone was trying to keep it from spinning while they loosened the nut... so they clamped down some vice grips on it.. and that was the result.

Kwells... hoping that I won't need the flywheel puller again after this, and he has one.. so why not just borrow.

Ok.. about to order the gasket and shifter shaft seal from dgy.com.
Tiff.
Tiffanator
First time restorer

inanecathode

What i'd do is just run my hand around the rim of the rotor, make sure nothing is sticking *out*. There might be dents and scratches, but as long as nothing is sticking out it shouldnt contact anything on the cover or the stator.
Its a gas engine, it'll vibrate. The slightly off balace rotor might vibrate more, but i doubt you could feel it and it wouldnt damage anything by itself. Leaving a giant bur sticking out and running the engine would definitely damage something, thats what i'd watch out for.
If you can't tell your friend to kiss your ass then they aren't a true friend.

YellowJacket!

Quote from: Tiffanator on January 29, 2008, 09:42:37 PM
Quote from: DaveTN on January 29, 2008, 09:32:41 PM
Tiff.

;D

David

Yeah.. its cause I'm a dingbat and it takes more than one page to explain things so that I'll understand.  ;D

Thinking more about the flywheel... perhaps someone was trying to keep it from spinning while they loosened the nut... so they clamped down some vice grips on it.. and that was the result.

Kwells... hoping that I won't need the flywheel puller again after this, and he has one.. so why not just borrow.

Ok.. about to order the gasket and shifter shaft seal from dgy.com.
Tiff.

Actually, you are VERY good at explaining.  If theres a dingbat in there, I haven't seen it yet.  I enjoy reading your posts and the responses to them.

David

Living the dream - I am now a Physician Assistant!!   :-)

Lucky

Ok Tiff, Please take note of a few things:
1) the starter nose o-ring is METRIC
2) do the proper clutch bolt fix (longer bolts peened over) even if yours are still tight.
3) tighten BOTH gears between the crankshaft & balance shaft, peen both tabs on them (total of 4)
3a) use a lead wheel weight in the teeth of the gears to keep the engine from turning when tightening up the gear nuts, or you'll sheer the crank key. you'll need a BIG wrench or socket.
4) replace the shift shaft seal now while everything is off.
5) Tdub had Comectic make the gaskets for him & gave us the part numbers. they have NEVER published them as being ava, but they are, you have to call them.
6) stick the new gasket to the engine, not the cover, or it'll get knocked out of place when the magnetic rotor grabs the cover out of your finger & slams it into place. (or squishing your fingers)

--Lucky
1982/3 XZ550 Touring Vison, Gold on Black

tben

If you'd like to try your hand at making gaskets I'd be happy to fax you a copy of the gasket itself. :)
Three grand essentials to happiness in this life are something to do, something to love, and something to hope for.
-Joseph Addison

Rick G

Rick G
Go soothingly on the grease mud, as there in lurks the skid demon
'82.5 Yamaha XZ550 RJ  Vision,
'90 Suzuki VX800, 1990 Suzuki DR350.
'74  XL350   Honda , 77 XL350 Honda, 78 XL350 Honda, '82 XT 200 Yamaha, '67 Yamaha YG1TK, 80cc trail bike

Tiffanator

Hello all... again.. didn't get any work done last night as I forgot to get the flywheel puller.. urgh.
tben... I have already ordered a new gasket from dgy.com as kwells suggested. Also got a shifter shaft oil seal to replace. I am going to make a pattern of the gasket before I put it on, so in the future I can try my hand at making my own. Thanks so much for the offer though.
Lucky... 1. Note taken, why can't the whole world choose a measurement system and stick with it?  2. Planning on it.  3. Put on the list of things to do.  3a. Good plan, the manual says to shove a shop rag in the gears, but I was just imagining little bits of fluff everywhere if something goes wrong. 4. Shaft seal ordered and on the list of things to do.  5. I sent an email and never heard back, gasket already ordered. Maybe next time (I hate that phrase) I'll get a cometic.  6. Great tip... didn't think about the magnet pulling the cover out of my hands, will be careful to keep my little fingers out of the way.   Thanks for the tips, that really helped.
Rick... you have a PM.
Lata..
Tiff.
Tiffanator
First time restorer