Trying to become a ROV

Started by mastergunny, November 28, 2007, 01:55:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mastergunny

Here is where I am on trying to get my new acquision running. Any tips you have on any of his comments let me know. Thanks gang.

My mechanic says:

Thought I would give you a report on the Vision. I installed the other carburetor set. It did perform much better than the set that was on the bike when it arrived. I was able to get it running though it ran it didn't run real well but good enough for further testing and inspections. Right now we are at $428.00 parts and labor for rebuilding and installing starter, O-ring, seals, Oil, Battery, R+R Carbs.

Right now the carb has a large what is call flat spot on acceleration. This is most likely caused by the accelerator pump but could also be clogged port, weak fuel pump or something else.

The exhaust pipe has a really large hole in it. Under the bike were it makes a turn in front of the rear tire. Because of this it is really hard to hear the engine, transmission and rear gear. While I had it running I was able to run it though all the gears while it was on the center stand. Best I could tell with all the noise those items appeared to work properly.

Other things I noted while I had it running. None of the electronic dash items (Temperature Gauge, Tachometer) were not operating. I suspect a connection/wiring issue at this point. But the cooling fan does work and appears to be cycling when it should.

All lights are working but the horn does not.

Items that need repairs.

Carb issues: At this point fresher fuel and Sea Foam treatment and heat cycle the bike for a week or two and see if it will fix itself. If not the carbs will have to be pulled. It appears most of the carb parts are available.

Exhaust: I can make a repair to it which should last a while.

Throttle cable needs to be replaced. It is worn and sticking. This item has been discontinued by Yamaha but I should be able to have one made.

Forks need to be resealed. Leaking.

Front brake caliper appears to be leaking.

Gauges and horn need to be repaired.

kwells

step one
take the bike home unless you have thousands for a mechanic

You will be:
-removing carbs, dipping in Berryman's ChemDip probably several times AFTER they are fully disassebled
-removing tank, cleaning out, lining with POR15 or equivalent
-installing in-line fuel filter after tank but before carbs
-Take a look here for needed parts: http://ridersofvision.net/forum/zindex.php?topic=7652.0
-Master Cylinder rebuild Kit:
http://denniskirk.com/jsp/product_catalog/Product.jsp?skuId=191750&store=&catId=4&productId=p191750&leafCatId=&mmyId=9657
-STart asking questions
Exhaust:
http://macperformance.com/store/category.cfm?SID=3&Category_ID=897
Fork Seals:
http://denniskirk.com/jsp/tpl/cmn/prodlist.jsp?store=&catId=416&leafCatId=41606&brandId=554&np=

...a vision is never complete.

www.wellsmoto.com

mdskinner731

u could do as i did just for testing purposes on my vision exhaust... take a soda can cut the top and bottom off of it, slice a line down the one side and wrap it around the exhaust then put a hose clamp on it.. so u can actually hear the engine noises.. it looks like crap but it works temporaily..
"he who has the most toys when they die, wins..."
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
if it moves and its not supposed to-duct tape
if it dont move and its supposed to- wd-40
Redneck Law

Lucky

Master, for what you've spent already you could buy a whole other 82, or at least a parts bike... or every tool you'd ever need...

just my opinoin, but there aren't any repairs you couldn't do yourself, none of it is all that hard, & we can give you better advice than any mechanic (& i was a mechanic for Ford for years, we all know this bike inside & out).

If you must farm it out, see if any of us might be interested in doing the work, you might pay the same, or even less, but it'd be done by someone who knows the bike well...

--Lucky
1982/3 XZ550 Touring Vison, Gold on Black

mastergunny

kwells, why would I want to take a perfectly good tank with little to no rust and put somekind of liner in it! All I read about here is how none have held up and the pains people are going through to get a old liner out and do it all over again!

Just my ignorance showing possibly! :D

kwells

Kreem notoriously doesn't hold up.  It's your choice to not line...but do get an inline filter to keep all that rust out of the carbs.
...a vision is never complete.

www.wellsmoto.com

Lucky

Caswell & POR are fantastic liners, really hold up well.  Personaly i'd line a new tank, but even a NOS Vision tank is still 25 years old & will have rust where you can't see, in those corners...
1982/3 XZ550 Touring Vison, Gold on Black

Extent

Also check your YICS for leaks, that could be a big contributer to your flatspot.  Accelerator pump operation would be really easy to check for visually.
Rider1>No wonder, the Daytona has very sharp steering and aggressive geometry.  It's a very difficult bike for a new rider.
Rider2>Well it has different geometry now.

Rick G

Mastergunny, I was afraid of that , it really is too expensive to have a shop go through a Vision thats being returned to service. You need to dig in, ask us questions and advice . In the end you will know more about your Vision than the mechanic that you are dealing with.
I know what I'm talking about , I had a fellow bring in a '77  Gold Wing . He insisted that he wanted to get it going . It needed fork seals , tyres, carb rebuild new battery, brakes  rebuilt, oil leaks, cam belts. to say nothing of what shape the engine was in  . It really needed the tank pulled out, so it could be derusted and treated with Por15.  To remove the tank on a wing you have to pull the swing arm . I told the owner he could be looking at $3000.
or more . In my estimation the bike wasn't worth it , but it was his fathers.
All this at 60.00 an hour.
Dig in , get your hands dirty , and learn . you will be glad you did!
Rick G
Go soothingly on the grease mud, as there in lurks the skid demon
'82.5 Yamaha XZ550 RJ  Vision,
'90 Suzuki VX800, 1990 Suzuki DR350.
'74  XL350   Honda , 77 XL350 Honda, 78 XL350 Honda, '82 XT 200 Yamaha, '67 Yamaha YG1TK, 80cc trail bike

Aelwulf

The only reason I had someone else work on mine originally was because it was a guy who did it in his off-time rather as a hobby.  I 'tipped' him for the work (what I hope was decent), and he did a decent bit on it, but still ran me less than $250 for his time.  I don't count the parts costs since I would've had to pay that on my own anyway.

Ah, such fun to be out riding...
*thunk*
What was that?!

'82 Yamaha Vision XZ550RJ
'07 Kawasaki Vulcan 1600 Mean Streak Special Edition (VN1600B)

mastergunny

Yep I will get the bike as soon as possible and start following the advice of this site. You all can help me get her running good. Hey it's a hobby right?? ;D ;D

Aelwulf

Sometimes I think of it more as a distracting self-destructive obsession that will put you in the poor house.

But hey, that's just me... :D

Ah, such fun to be out riding...
*thunk*
What was that?!

'82 Yamaha Vision XZ550RJ
'07 Kawasaki Vulcan 1600 Mean Streak Special Edition (VN1600B)

Rick G

Mastergunny, if you need a cable made,  I can make cables.  One other thing, keep you eyes open for  parts vision . I got one for 200. and several for free or trade. you positivly can't have too many parts visions.
If you don't have the room to store them take the stuff you will need off and store it in flat boxes under the bed!  seriously,  its been done.! :D
Rick G
Go soothingly on the grease mud, as there in lurks the skid demon
'82.5 Yamaha XZ550 RJ  Vision,
'90 Suzuki VX800, 1990 Suzuki DR350.
'74  XL350   Honda , 77 XL350 Honda, 78 XL350 Honda, '82 XT 200 Yamaha, '67 Yamaha YG1TK, 80cc trail bike

mastergunny

Will see what needs to be done when I get her home.  Matt