News:

We would like to thank our supporting members for their generosity.

Main Menu

My trip to Phoenix

Started by Rick G, December 06, 2007, 10:10:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rick G

I tried this before and ended up hitting the wrong button , and it all went away. pi**ed me off so bad , I didn't even try to recreate it.

Sunday before last I deceided to go to Gilbert AZ.  ( oppisite side of Phoenix from me)  To look at  a used 77 Honda XL 350 . I've sold my atv and want something to follow dirt roads with , that I can also ride around town . The plan is to take the load off the vision and cut down use of the S10 blazer , which will pass anything on the road, except a gas station!

I left at 9 am with a temp of 43.deg.  I arrived in  Wickenberg  at around  11:30 . After a brief phone conversation with Greg about his parts, I headed south on hiway 60 , which is a parade of stop lights and headed south east on I 10 . A phone call to the seller cofirmed that I was close . I arrived around 2:30  and inspected the bike , followed by a quick test ride . It started on the first kick and rode fine . Back into  my cold weather riding gear ( even though it was 80 in Phoenix , that day)

The seller  guided me to a short cut, that cut out all the  stop lights.  I followed loop 101,  east to Hiway 17 north, towards  Flagstaff . Arriving at the turn, left towards Wickenberg and noting the lack of the promised gas station, I proceeded west for 10 miles untill it went on reserve, prompting me to  cut speed to 45  and pi**ing off a bunch of drivers , who had no idea I was trying to stretch my gas supply.  It finally chugged to a halt  by a moble home park and a fellow with 2 gallons of unleaded. 1/4 mile later up hill appeared a gas station. But of coarse now,it was not needed.

Wickenberg  is a historic old town dating to 1865 , someday I'll go back and check it out.
I filled up the tank, both mine and the bikes and left town at 5:30 , heading into the dusk. Traffic thinned out in about 20 miles  and I wound it up a bit, running along at 85 to 90 mph in spots. It was getting colder , although my gear kept the lower temps from bothering me , my sholders were starting to ache. I gave her, her head  and she headed for the barn,  covering the 120 miles from Wickenberg to Kingman in a little under 2 hours , averaging 38 mpg. It was 46 deg, when I pulled in to yard . I was glad to be home , I had been in the saddle for over 10 hours  and nearly 500 miles . I'm tickled at the Visions performance and a little proud of mine too. I'm 65 and I wondered if I could/should, still undertake a ride like that .  I'm ready to go again ! Any one with me?
Rick G
Go soothingly on the grease mud, as there in lurks the skid demon
'82.5 Yamaha XZ550 RJ  Vision,
'90 Suzuki VX800, 1990 Suzuki DR350.
'74  XL350   Honda , 77 XL350 Honda, 78 XL350 Honda, '82 XT 200 Yamaha, '67 Yamaha YG1TK, 80cc trail bike

Tiger

:) I would love to join you on a ride Rick...but, me think's, it will take me a lot more than 10 hour's to reach you from Erin, here in Ontario. Canada ;D :D :D :D :D :D Beside, it's snowing, again ::) which will make it a bit slippery getting out of Canada :o ;D :D :D :D :D :D :D... ;)..A good ride write up though... 8)

BTW...Did you buy the Honda ???

8).......TIGER....... 8)
Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming HOOOOYA lets go again baby !!!!!!

'82 Vision, Pearl Orange finish, lots of up-grades!!!

inanecathode

I've always wanted to see the southwest a bit more :D
//////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////
If you can't tell your friend to kiss your ass then they aren't a true friend.
//////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////