Main Menu

XZ400

Started by gregs656, December 08, 2007, 11:47:25 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

gregs656

evening, i just joined this evening.

I have just bought a XZ400 for my daily commute, only planning to keep it untill april may time before getting something bigger. What should i be looking out for? the starter clutch has been replaced recently, as has the starter motor. I notice the exhausts are on their way out, not quite sure how bad they are, but they've seen better days. Interchangeable with the 550 ones?

I'm 17, been riding for nearly 2 years. started on a fizzy, then a TZR125, then a CG125 and now the 400.

Cheers,
Greg

louthepou

Hi Greg, welcome to the ROV forum!!!

Congrats on getting your XZ. A few members do have the 400, so hopefully someone will be able to answer your question about pipes from first hand experience. I wonder if we could simply do a parts number cross-check on Yamaha's website...

If it's not too much trouble, let us know where you live...

Cheers,

Louis
Hi, my name is Louis, and I'm a Vision-o-holic

gregs656

Not at all, Im on the south coast of England in not-so-sunny Bognor Regis

gregs656

this is my bike, not really sure what's going on with the battleship grey haha. Any info on the model would be appreciated, i don't really know much about them.

Night Vision

XzV2's site has information on the 400's... are you certain it's a 400? go to this site and check serial numbers and such

http://www.xz550.nl/
if it ain't worth doing it the hard way....
it ain't worth doing it at all - Man Law
;D

if it ain't broke..... take it apart and find out why

don't give up.... don't ever give up - Jimmy Valvano

gregs656

it is yes, or at least, it's registered as one.

thanks for the site  8)

h2olawyer

Welcome to the forum.  Hope you decide to stay for a bit longer than April or May!

Your exhaust system is an aftermarket system made by MAC. 

The 400 is much less common than the XZ550 version, but they should both handle about the same.  Over time, you may decide to keep it longer than your current plans.  These bikes can be addictive.

H2O

If you have an accident on a motorcycle, it's always your fault. Tough call, but it has to be that way. You're in the right, and dead -on a bike. The principle is not to have any accident. If you're involved in an an accident, it's because you did not anticipate. Then, by default, you failed.

gregs656

Quote from: h2olawyer on December 08, 2007, 03:49:03 PM

The 400 is much less common than the XZ550 version, but they should both handle about the same

Is that a good or a bad thing? lol

I may well decide to keep it for a little while longer, but i really only want it for the experience. Got my eyes set on a TRX.

h2olawyer

Rarity is neither a good nor bad thing in this case.  Just saying it's a rarer model of an already uncommon bike.  The only real difficulty may be in locating engine parts & the XZ400 badges.  The 400 was never imported to North America, so our knowledge of it on this side of the pond is somewhat limited.  I think one or two have been shipped onto this continent, but Yamaha never released it over here.  XZv2's site should be very informative on the 400.

Given some time with the XZ, you may decide to keep it & get the TRX!   ;D

H2O

If you have an accident on a motorcycle, it's always your fault. Tough call, but it has to be that way. You're in the right, and dead -on a bike. The principle is not to have any accident. If you're involved in an an accident, it's because you did not anticipate. Then, by default, you failed.

gregs656

you miss understood me sorry, didn't make that very clear! the Handling, it being like the 550, is that a good or a bad thing?

On the rare note, i love rare. It makes life so much more interesting  8)

h2olawyer

The handling is not only a good thing, it's a great thing.  Stock setup is good, (for a 25 year old bike) but with some minor additions like a fork brace & tapered roller steering bearings, these bikes are a blast to ride.  Don't know about the 400, but the 550 has a very wide, usable torque curve.  The 400 probably does as well, just a little less of it.  I do know that the lower power of the 400 is probably not that noticeable because it has different gearing & a lighter flywheel.  Where it may be most obvious is at the top end of the speedometer.

H2O

XZv2

Gregs, congratulations with your 400. The 400 is easy to distinguish from the 550: the engine number (right side crankcase above the clutch) begins with 14X and also the frame number begins with 14X.
The 400 I saw in the UK, was a secondhand import from Japan, and had only the code 14X as engine number (see my website, topic XZ400).
In your picture I do not see a strap on the seat, does it have the perforated front discs? Does it have the red light in the tacho unit that is on above 80 kph?
Beautiful grey bike, enjoy it, keep it in fine shape.
XZv2

gregs656

im pretty sure the seat is after market, very wide as well, makes the bike feel much taller than it is. I havn't actually ridden it yet, but im pretty certain it does have that light, the one above the jap writing?

what sort of power do these bikes make? Its a heavy old lump, weighs in at about 200 kilos i think - mostly down to the frame/shaft drive i imagine.

Also tank capacity, from what i have read, the tank just looks big, as it has a big tunnel with in it for the air box. It still must be pretty big, though.

thanks for all the information, keep it coming!

XZv2

Gregs, the red light above the Japanese writing suggests that your XZ400 was sold new in Japan; probably the engine number is restricted to 14X (or 24R, if it is a XZ400D).
The 400 has 45 hp and a top speed of about 100 mph under favourable conditions at 10.000 revs in 5th gear, but 90-95 will be a more realistic figure in practice. The petrol tank holds 17 liters (a bit under 4 UK gallons), of which some 3 liters are reserve.
Charming tourer, could be very economical if you don't push it to the limit. Factory specifies 43 km pro litre = 120 miles pro UK gallon at a steady 60 kph = 37 mph. You can use regular grade lead-free petrol.
XZv2

gregs656

The top speed would suggest to me that perhaps 5th is probably too long.Or perhaps that reading was taken at the crank, which is probably more likely.

I'll check the engine number when i get it, from what i know the bike was brought new in japan in '82 and imported to the UK in '91.

what do i need to look out for?

i'm impressed with the knowledge available on this forum, i think i will stick around

XZv2

Gregs, the gear box of the 400 and 550 are similar, except fifth gear. That is closer to 4th gear in the 400 than in the 550: 4 and 5 are pretty close ratio in the 400. Accelerate in 4 up to 10.000 rpm, change to 5 and have still real power in stead of kind of an overdrive. I guess that's the idea behind this difference.
The 400 also has different primary gear wheels compared to the 550, it has the same end reduction and a slightly smaller rear tire, resulting in 9855 rpm @ 100 mph. The red line at the tachometer starts at 10.500 rpm.
The 45 hp are measured at the crankshaft.
What you have to look out for: the general XZ-things: see Lucky's XZ site (www.xz550.com) click on the Top 10 Vision problems and solutions.
XZv2

gregs656

Nothing to major there, then, mostly just stuff that you would expect on an old, poorly maintained, bike. I'm hoping this bike will prove to be reliable. I'm planning to use it regularly and can't really afford the time and money spent fixing up bikes every other day. That's not to say i don't enjoy my maintenance, i just need a reliable bike.

inline fuel filters are a god send, ive got a spare one lying around somewhere!

XZv2

Gregs, make your carbs absolutely immaculate inside and synchronize your carbs. If that's not perfect no xz runs well.
off-topic:
Also, and this is a message for all European XZ riders:
the German XZ club organizes an XZ meeting 15-17 August 2008 not too far from Holland, not too far from England. If you come there with your XZ400, you will have a real rare bike there.
I will be there and my son-in-law with our XZ's
see http://www.xz550.de/ topic XZ-treffen 2008

on-topic:
the XZ is a quality bike that can give faultless service even at an age of 25 years, but after neglect, it is important to see that the problem points are OK.
XZv2

gregs656

carb synching is somthing i have never attempted to do, i think i have read it is difficult to get right on these bikes?

Thanks for the info on the meet, it's something i will bear in mind - depends how well i get on with the bike i suspect

h2olawyer

Synchronizing XZ carbs is not difficult.  You can make an inexpensive tool out of tubing & some ATF.  Much simpler than doing 4 carb setups!  Let us know when you're going to attempt the synch & we'll be happy to lead you through the steps.

First thing is to check the YICS for internal & external leaks.  Details can be found here:  www.xz550.com/YICS.html

While you are getting the bike running properly, it is best to cap off the YICS ports on the heads.  Either plug the existing hoses or find some caps that fit the ports.  When you have it running well without the YICS, then you can add that system back into the mix.  The YICS box is tricky and can lead to all kinds of odd symptoms.  Best just to deactivate it until all electrical (caps, plugs, wires), fuel (carbs, filter) and air (filter, box) systems are operating at peak efficiency.

Get new spark plugs, caps & wires & replace them right away.  It is amazing how much these simple & inexpensive parts can help when getting an older, neglected bike running reliably again.

H2O