News:

We rely on our supporters to help keep us running. Thank You!

Main Menu

Just chillin'

Started by pullshocks, December 09, 2007, 03:13:15 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

pullshocks

The sun was out today, so I headed north, with the town of Granite Falls as my objective, just under 50 miles away, which includes about 20 miles of curvy backroad.    I loved the twisties, but it was getting dark as I got home, and the temp was dropping.  Although I had felt comfortable enough as I left Seattle, I'd have to say I was chilled to the bone when I got back, to the point where I was getting physically and mentally clumsy.  The disturbing part is I didn't really realize it until I got off the bike.  Not a good thing when riding a motorcycle.

So, in addition to having a rousing twisty ride, I learned a couple lessons--that my gear is marginal for sustained cold weather riding, and hypothermia can sneak up on you.  It would have been a lot better to stop a couple times to warm up and get the blood moving.

I can really understand the hand guards and heated clothing thing now.

Rick G

Pull, your so right,  When living in OR. I tried lots of  things to extend the riding season (I even rode in winter to keep  the bike exercised , or is that exorcised LOL )  Tried differant gloves  and discovered that no gloves, that allowed you to operate the controls were warm enough , but , when I added the Hippo hands , the problem went away . I looked at Cordura riding pants ,but  the price was out of reach, so I looked at Coastal farmers supply and found the black version, of the brown insulated construcion overauls.
They are warm and unzip from the cuff to the hip and so are very easy to put on ,and get out of, for 50.00  My riding jacket is  a 3/4  Tourmaster. made of 500 denier nylon on top and 1000 denier on the bottom . It has a zip in liner and with that and a flannel shirt, a sweat shirt or sweater , it has worked down to 35 deg..I prefer it to leather, as being warmer. I have a reputation, as not being a fair weather rider. I've only got so many rides left and I'm going to get them all in!! ;D
Rick G
Go soothingly on the grease mud, as there in lurks the skid demon
'82.5 Yamaha XZ550 RJ  Vision,
'90 Suzuki VX800, 1990 Suzuki DR350.
'74  XL350   Honda , 77 XL350 Honda, 78 XL350 Honda, '82 XT 200 Yamaha, '67 Yamaha YG1TK, 80cc trail bike