News:

We would like to thank our supporting members for their generosity.

Main Menu

Memorial day weekend

Started by Rick G, May 26, 2008, 02:08:54 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rick G

The CMA had proposed that we help the group that provides the coffee and pop, at stops along the hiway . So , as my vision is still, hors de combat,  I decided  to take the Xl350 , since the location (as I understood it ) was Cloride , about 20 miles from Kingman, on highway 93 to lost Wages.  I went over the pass and when I reached SoHI , I pulled off , to avoid getting run over by the 70 mph traffic , on my 55 mph bike.  There is a sand wash , just past SoHI and it leads to the Bolder highway , the old stage coach route, from Kingman to the Colorado River. Its a two track, rock strewn , dirt road  with lots of washouts . I had a ball  motoring along and finally I reached Mineral Park road. from there its a graded dirt road and I ran along at 55 , until I got to Cloride road .
When I arrived back at the highway, there was NO rest stop to be seen!
A quick phone call informed me that I was confused , the rest stop was at Dolen Springs road , 12 miles farther down the Highway . So, I putted along at 55 ,with all the traffic passing me like I was standing still, including a flock of Hogs. I finally arrived and did my two hour stint  and since the only gas was in Dolen Springs , at 4.59 a gallon .
I went home the back way. I picked up my 8/10 of a gallon  and rode 12 miles to Stockton Hill road. From there it was 36 miles to home , a long boring trip on a slow motorcycle. I usually don't take it farther than 25 miles from home on pavement, it too hard on it and me!!! The seat is fine on trips to the store and excursions into the desert, but it wasn't made for touring. I covered nearly 100 miles today , it reminded me of my first time in Kingman in 1964 , but thats another story!
Rick G
Go soothingly on the grease mud, as there in lurks the skid demon
'82.5 Yamaha XZ550 RJ  Vision,
'90 Suzuki VX800, 1990 Suzuki DR350.
'74  XL350   Honda , 77 XL350 Honda, 78 XL350 Honda, '82 XT 200 Yamaha, '67 Yamaha YG1TK, 80cc trail bike

kwells

gotta do what you gotta do eh?
I didnt ride today...will try to get out and motor on the V tomorrow some...

Glad u got to put some miles under you
...a vision is never complete.

www.wellsmoto.com