News:

We would like to thank our supporting members for their generosity.

Main Menu

Wait thats not a vision!

Started by inanecathode, December 19, 2007, 12:24:13 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

inanecathode

//////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////
If you can't tell your friend to kiss your ass then they aren't a true friend.
//////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////

Rick G

Its pretty, but has too many cylinders and carbs.
Rick G
Go soothingly on the grease mud, as there in lurks the skid demon
'82.5 Yamaha XZ550 RJ  Vision,
'90 Suzuki VX800, 1990 Suzuki DR350.
'74  XL350   Honda , 77 XL350 Honda, 78 XL350 Honda, '82 XT 200 Yamaha, '67 Yamaha YG1TK, 80cc trail bike

Kevin

Saber's have wonderful motors. The carb's are a nightmare to get on and off.

Rick G

Yes I know Kevin , I've done them more than a few times. 4s both inline and V are ,in my opinion (just like navels , everybodys got one) are way too complicated. If your paying me to work on one thats fine ,but if its for free (for my self)  no thanks. Of all the bikes I've ridden,I enjoyed the singles and twins the most .
Four stroke tripples are fun too , but are a little to rich in parts for me.
Rick G
'74  XL350   Honda , 77 XL350 Honda, 78 XL350 Honda, '82 XT 200 Yamaha, '67 Yamaha YG1TK, 80cc trail bike

inanecathode

Imagine working on a cbx rick :o
Six carbs to clean, six carbs to sync, yikes

kwells

u think the 4.00 manometer would do that job?

ha
...a vision is never complete.

www.wellsmoto.com

inanecathode

Tiger

Quote from: kwells on December 20, 2007, 03:50:35 AM
u think the 4.00 manometer would do that job?

ha

:) NO...but a $12.00 unit would ;D :D :D :D... ;)
Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming HOOOOYA lets go again baby !!!!!!

'82 Vision, Pearl Orange finish, lots of up-grades!!!

Rick G

I have one that does 4 cylinders very well , but 'Id have to do a six in relays , first the 1234 and then the 3456.  Like I said  way to many pieces for me! Either that or  3 $4.00 manometers. ;D
Rick G

h2olawyer

Why go for a measley 6?  Just get a Boss Hoss!  Lots of intake options for the small block Chevy V-8.  EZ to tune, too.   ;D

Saw an early Boss hoss that had a Ford flathead in it.  Probably less cooling troubles with it in a bike frame than there was with full bodywork.

H2O
If you have an accident on a motorcycle, it's always your fault. Tough call, but it has to be that way. You're in the right, and dead -on a bike. The principle is not to have any accident. If you're involved in an an accident, it's because you did not anticipate. Then, by default, you failed.

Rick G

When i lived in MN. I went to first thursday, during the summer . 4 Boss Hoss's came every month. One,
a trike, was driven by a 67 year old Grand mother!! she would smoke the tyres when leaving!!

I saw one that had T boned a pickup truck, at  speed . The engine and rider, went through the truck and killed the driver . Maybe  Boss Hoss's are over kill! 
Rick G

inanecathode

DOOD!
Now its up for 700 ><

Always good deals when i dont have any money :(

jasonm.

It's been removed from the "list"and the early Honda V-fours had junk valve trains. Cams flopping around due to lack of oil in there.
looks aren't important, if she lets you play by your rules

inanecathode

Yeah but. Vision carbs are garbage but we make due :o

Rick G

Theres nothing wrong with the Vision carbs , its the idiots that don't understand them!
The Keihen on a honda Xl350 is a singular piece of junk , serious owners of this bike adapt Mikunis. The all run , from too rich on the low speed circuit to  being loaded up all the time and 8 stroking all the way through 3 gear. Honda in their infinaite wisdom only supply 1 size of pilot jet.
As far as CV carbs with diaphrams the cost of replacement of cracked or stiff diaphrams , on a four  can surpass 400.00 ( they come with slides )
Thanks i'll take the Visions carbs anyday!!.  Ok, now if some one will help me , I'll get of my soap box! ;) ;)
Rick G

inanecathode

I have to disagree, vision carbs are garbage. The only thing they do is work. They're not easy to dissasemble (compared to, well, any other motorcycle carb barring few imports), not fool proof, too big, too rare, and too complicated. They're not the worst carbs ever, but man they're not too far away from that.

jasonm.

Rick, depending on the carb. The price has dropped on mikuni slide diaphragm assys. Now ~ $60 ea. for my Venture. Yes, they used to be $100 each. But the price dropped 5 years ago to $44. I think they have gone up due to the weak dollar. I don't know the cost of the later flat slide types.
looks aren't important, if she lets you play by your rules

Tiger

:) I have to say that the "V"s carb's are complex but from the outset...once properly cleaned, set, synced and with new gas/vacuum line's, the aid of a good quality in-line filter they run and run and run, just fine... 8) In the three year's that "The Mistress" has been back on the road, the carb's, other than a quick sync' check at the beginning of each season, have been just fine.
In the "off season", I don't drain them...I do drain the gas tank of gas containing fuel add's, (dump it in the truck's gas tank!!), rinse out and fill up with fresh gas and fuel stab'. I run my Vision's up to operating temp's most week-end's. Come the first ride of the season they are ready to go, go, go... 8)

Garbage carb's...I think not inane' ::)

8).......TIGER....... 8)
Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming HOOOOYA lets go again baby !!!!!!

'82 Vision, Pearl Orange finish, lots of up-grades!!!

inanecathode

In perspective though, they are garbage. I mean, we deal with visions every day, its second nature to tune these things so its not a problem. But you throw a set of vision carbs to any bike mechanic that hasnt worked with visions before and they'd laugh at you. They are unique, and they do work well, but so do lucas electronics most the time :P
I'm not saying garbage is always a bad thing either, you can umm.... recycle it, burn it for fuel, paper weights, the skys the limit!

Rick G

Most mechanics today are parts exchangers anyway!
Thanks Jason I havent bought any in 4 or 5 years . I did notice that Sirus Conic is selling the with out the slides now , but I didn't  note the price.
Rick G