News:

We rely on our supporters to help keep us running. Thank You!

Main Menu

Dilemma

Started by Tiffanator, December 19, 2007, 09:45:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jasonm.

Tiff, I do not know how many miles you have put on. But I can say from my experiences. That in the  1st 3000 miles on any "new" bike . Your are 3 times more likely to crash. Simple reason...you probably don't know the bikes limits and often your own. Important Limits include lean angles and braking. Knowing these limits help avoid accidents. This 3000 miles applies to all riders , no matter their skill. If you have never scraped the pegs going around a turn. Then you are still "green" or you have old tires you don't trust. I have owned both my rides for 15+ years. SO I know their limits. My skills are greater than the bikes limits. Which is good because I know before the bike does..."that the limit has been reached".  When you get to my level you will do everything with out thinking. It becomes as natural as breathing.  PRACTICE, practice...find limits. Take a rider traing course...maybe it's time for an experienced rider course ?
looks aren't important, if she lets you play by your rules

Rick G

Jason is right. I've always said, your going to crash in the first year , so be carefull, learn your limits , learn the bikes limits.
My daughter took a beguining rider course   in OR,  and bought her first bike  at age 40 . She dropped it 8 months later , due to the ineptatude of a fellow on a new HD . He lost it  and ran into the back of  Sam's  Yamaha 650 vstar , putting her down, and tossing her 12 year old  pillion passenger over the bike. Luckily  my daughter and her passenger were not seriously injured. The harley rider had a 4 month convalescence .
Sam called me a bit sheepishly , to tell me about it.  Shes been riding  3 yeads now and is  much more confident.
Rick G
Go soothingly on the grease mud, as there in lurks the skid demon
'82.5 Yamaha XZ550 RJ  Vision,
'90 Suzuki VX800, 1990 Suzuki DR350.
'74  XL350   Honda , 77 XL350 Honda, 78 XL350 Honda, '82 XT 200 Yamaha, '67 Yamaha YG1TK, 80cc trail bike

Aelwulf

I'd agree with all the above, as well as the reverse.  Bill, the guy who worked on it for me in the Springs, had ridden for decades and he told me never once crashed when he was starting out.  After he was experienced he crashed several times.  He said he think it's because with the experience he started messing around and trying stunts and various oddball things that he never would have let in his mind as a beginner.  So definitely get to know limits and all, just keep them in mind as well when you get to the point to try & push 'em. :D

Ah, such fun to be out riding...
*thunk*
What was that?!

'82 Yamaha Vision XZ550RJ
'07 Kawasaki Vulcan 1600 Mean Streak Special Edition (VN1600B)

kwells

so what was the outcome Tiff?
...a vision is never complete.

www.wellsmoto.com

Tiffanator

Hey guys, I'm still riding bikes. Mom has eased up on nagging me about everything.
Tiffanator
First time restorer

Rick G

halliluah!!!!!!! Praise the Lord!!
Rick G
Go soothingly on the grease mud, as there in lurks the skid demon
'82.5 Yamaha XZ550 RJ  Vision,
'90 Suzuki VX800, 1990 Suzuki DR350.
'74  XL350   Honda , 77 XL350 Honda, 78 XL350 Honda, '82 XT 200 Yamaha, '67 Yamaha YG1TK, 80cc trail bike