News:

Ridersofvision.net  welcomes you !

Main Menu

my first vision

Started by williamruck, December 26, 2007, 04:47:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

williamruck

Hey, this is my first post here and I just thought I would say hi. This morning I bought my first Yamaha Vision. It is a 1982 Yamaha Vision. It is a little rough around the edges but it has potential. Anyways, it still isn't running great but I figure I could put some new fuel lines on it and clean out the carb and see what happens. Anyways, here is a picture. If anyone has any advice on cleaning out a carb let me know. Thanks.

zore

If you do a quick search in the forum you'll get most of the advice you need.  In short, get some carb dip and 2 rebuild kits and soak the carbs.  With out this, chances are high that they wont be clean enough.
1982 Yamaha XZ550
1995 Ducati M900

kwells

interesting front wheel...wouldnt be so great in the rain though....
...a vision is never complete.

www.wellsmoto.com

Night Vision

looks like a pretty nice one... shouldn't take much to bring her up to snuff....

if you didn't get the fairing that used to be on your bike, you might ask the previous owner if they still have it.
if it ain't worth doing it the hard way....
it ain't worth doing it at all - Man Law
;D

if it ain't broke..... take it apart and find out why

don't give up.... don't ever give up - Jimmy Valvano

williamruck

Yeah, I did a search and found a lot about carbs and carb cleaning. I actually got another front wheel with a good tire on it with the bike. I asked about the fairing but they said they didn't have it anymore. Is there a place to pick up any after-market stuff?

zore

I didn't even notice the spoked front wheel, but did think somethign looked a little off.  Steel brake line was high on my upgrade list.
1982 Yamaha XZ550
1995 Ducati M900

mdskinner731

Quote from: zore on December 26, 2007, 05:52:18 PM
I didn't even notice the spoked front wheel, but did think somethign looked a little off.  Steel brake line was high on my upgrade list.
ya the bike is very nice... how much did ya pick that up for?? and the front rim was the very first thig i noticed.. a lil unique but it works
"he who has the most toys when they die, wins..."
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
if it moves and its not supposed to-duct tape
if it dont move and its supposed to- wd-40
Redneck Law

Rick G

The  forks  match the front wheel . They might be from  an XS650, If its a 19 inch wheel it probably is.
Then again it might be some varation of Honda.
Rick G
Go soothingly on the grease mud, as there in lurks the skid demon
'82.5 Yamaha XZ550 RJ  Vision,
'90 Suzuki VX800, 1990 Suzuki DR350.
'74  XL350   Honda , 77 XL350 Honda, 78 XL350 Honda, '82 XT 200 Yamaha, '67 Yamaha YG1TK, 80cc trail bike

Tiger

:) Hmmmmmm, always interests me as to why some body would change the front fork/wheel assembly... :-\

Anyway, welcome to the ROV family, the best place for a Vision and its new owner... ;) Lot's of advice, help, part(s), etc

Where abouts are you located... ??? You might have one of us near to you... 8)

8).......TIGER....... 8)
Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming HOOOOYA lets go again baby !!!!!!

'82 Vision, Pearl Orange finish, lots of up-grades!!!

williamruck

Well, I picked the bike up for $350. About the front fork and wheel, I have the original wheel; is it going to be an issue putting the original wheel back with a different fork? I have a bit of work to do first on it before I get to riding it, so that is low on the priority list right now. Anyways, I am located in Warrensburg MO.

smknjoe1964

Hey William ! Welcome to the forum ! Im not to far away from ya ! Im in Wichita,Ks ! Ill have an extra set of 82 forks here soon if your interested !?

williamruck

Yeah I would definately be interested. What kind of condition are they in and how much would you like for them?

Rick G

A fellow  who was on the forum untill 2001 , names Burke Storty, of the SF bay area,  had a Vision built by a local wrench, it had Vmax forks and '82 discs trimmed 1/4 of an inch.
It was souped up as well. As to why change the forks , the only thing I can suggest is that some people were offended by the appearence of them , one magazine said that it was to increase clearence to the radiator at full compression. What a moron!
I wanted to buy both of Burke's bikes, but could not generate the needed cash in time.
Rick G
Go soothingly on the grease mud, as there in lurks the skid demon
'82.5 Yamaha XZ550 RJ  Vision,
'90 Suzuki VX800, 1990 Suzuki DR350.
'74  XL350   Honda , 77 XL350 Honda, 78 XL350 Honda, '82 XT 200 Yamaha, '67 Yamaha YG1TK, 80cc trail bike