News:

Ridersofvision.net  welcomes you !

Main Menu

First project of Winter Underway: An Inane & kwells presentation

Started by kwells, January 09, 2008, 07:17:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

kwells

Well today we started step 2 of our project.  First step was getting our donor engine cleaned up...(see DeathBlow thread). 
Today we took off the badges and scuffed up the plastics.

The tank got the sanding wheel.

After that they all got 2 coats of primer.  After primer there were some dimples and rough spots that revealed themselves so out came the bondo. 

Didn't have time to stick around for the bondo to dry so tomorrow should get the bondo/primer steps knocked out. 
...a vision is never complete.

www.wellsmoto.com

inanecathode

If anyones curious on the first picture, thats the safest way to remove badges. It doesnt damage the badge or the plastic. Just take a piece of steel wire (or copper, but the copper will break over and over) and hook it under the badge. Either wrap it around the whole badge and twist it like a twisty tie or saw/pull the wire down through the glue holding the badge on. Works like a charm :)
//////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////
If you can't tell your friend to kiss your ass then they aren't a true friend.
//////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////

h2olawyer

I've had good luck with monofilament fishing line.  Less possibility of damaging the underlying plastic.

Looking good so far.   ;D

H2O
If you have an accident on a motorcycle, it's always your fault. Tough call, but it has to be that way. You're in the right, and dead -on a bike. The principle is not to have any accident. If you're involved in an an accident, it's because you did not anticipate. Then, by default, you failed.

inanecathode

Oh yeah, for sure, fishing line first. Almost forgot about the stuff, thanks h2o :o

kwells

Thurs 1-10

So back at it again today for another few hours.
First thing we noticed was the Bondo wasn't setting up.   I guess I didn't mix the activator in the tube enough(or at all) so we got a semi-dry putty instead.  So, I scraped off the not so dry stuff so that it could be done right this time.

The cap that had no key had to go so a few whacks with a craftsman screwdriver and hammer smashed it to little bits pretty quickly.

Inane got started with grinding the paint off our spare tank so that we could deal with that small dent while I sprayed a 1st coat on the plastics.

Once the metal was exposed we broke out the stud welder to see about pulling that dent.

We ended up making something that resembled a pocupine.  About half the dent came out but we will have to figure something else to get the rest.

www.wellsmoto.com

67GTO

I don't think I would ride a bike with that kind of gas tank......looks dangerous :)
" Like a dream he flies away, no more to be found,
banished like a Vision of the night."
                                                Job 20:8    NIV

kwells

after the dent is pulled we're gonna sharpen the studs

www.wellsmoto.com

kwells

Ah yes today was a fun 1/2 day.  We did a bit of sanding on the bodywork and put a second bondo coat on the needed places. 

While that bodywork got taken care of I started taking off the radiator, airbox, and cables going to the engine.

Actually the toughest part about taking out the engine turned out to be getting the radiator hoses off without shredding them.  The exhaust was a bit troublesome but some rocking and it let go of the bike.

After the exhaust and coolant lines are removed...there are only another 6 bolts that hold that thing in.  The drive line simply slides off the splines and poses no issues for removal.

That was it for the day...Had to get to work
Tomorrow we will start putting the donor engine back in....

www.wellsmoto.com

kwells

Sat-1/12

So today was the day to get the new donor engine into the Vision frame.  I was surprised by how fast getting it into the bike actually went.  Getting the exhaust all hooked up was a different story of course.  Hard to get to those rear clamps on once the engine is in the bike.

Then the Starter Clutch/rotor needed to be swapped from the old engine.  First we tried to use an impact air wrench to loosen the shaft bolt...to no avail. Not enough power.  So then we got out the breaker bar.  Finally, it yielded.  Then came out the harmonic balance puller to yank on it.  Getting the bolts in those holes is fairly annoying since the magnet of the rotor pulls them to the outer ring rather than let you get them in the holes.  A bit more use of the impact driver and 2 whacks of a BFH and it let go with a gentle slide to the end of the shaft.  Not so bad at all. 
Then a swap of the stator & sidecover and we on to the carbs.  I brought my mostly complete set of spare carbs and added the needed parts from the old existing set. 

A battery swap from another Vision and we were ready to see if this thing would turn over.  Not too bad for a day's work

So in goes the worn key ...ah....neutral switch not hooked up...OK...now let's go.

Key, turn, CLUNK.

hmmm
What was that?

Put it in gear and turn the wheel to identify the clunk.  No luck.
Maybe we did something wrong when we put the rotor back in?  Off with the cover.  Off with the rotor. 

OK, turn the back wheel again.  CLUNK.  damn...and we were so close.

So we checked for binding or loose metal (bolts or nuts) in the left case.  Nada.  Well what kind of clunk do you ask?  Well it sounded like a large rotating mass colliding with another solid stationary mass. 

Ok...this 'new' engine is screwed. Now what?  The front cylinder of the original motor was supposed to be dead.  Let's pull that and check it out. 

It appeared to fine after getting it off.  Valves looks like the went down into the seats. Hmmm, that intake sure is awful black.  Let's pull the valves.  A C-clamp and some backyard engineering go the valve springs compressed.  First one came out pretty easy.  Second one needed to be hit with a drift to get it out. 

That's odd.  So guess it WAS screwed afterall.  I should have check the shim width to verify my theory of a burnt valve due to out of clearance shim.  Oh well will check that later.

So here's where we are.  We have an engine that supposedly ran before it was sold for parts.  Something obstructing a full rotation of about 15 degrees of the rotation.  We have verified that the front valves of original motor were cooked.

If we go under the assumption that the motor actually came from a running bike.  The only thing we can now think that happened is that something fell into the intake and is now causing the pistons to strike a jammed open valve.  Guess that's possible...that engine did sit around for a long time before we got it.

As far I'm concerned our donor motor is Fubar'd and we need to rob the front head (if viable) and transplant to the original motor, remove not so working donor motor, replace with original motor.

Now THIS is what I call some Vision fun.

www.wellsmoto.com

mdskinner731

wow yall got far more patience than i when it comes to working on things any more.. im getting used to wiring houses and stuff so motors and mechanical things annoy me at times.. lol congrats on the work u did and good luck on the work still needed to be done!! ;D
"he who has the most toys when they die, wins..."
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
if it moves and its not supposed to-duct tape
if it dont move and its supposed to- wd-40
Redneck Law

inanecathode

The fubar'd engine actually did fire though. I heard it fart with the wasted spark :D

Ron_McCoy

Have you checked the counter-balancer timing? If its off a few teeth, it will collide with the crank.

kwells

we havent opened the right side case.  We were going on the 'word' of the seller that it was a running engine prior to being sold.

www.wellsmoto.com

Night Vision

left side case.... there are some marks to line up... pg 77
if it ain't worth doing it the hard way....
it ain't worth doing it at all - Man Law
;D

if it ain't broke..... take it apart and find out why

don't give up.... don't ever give up - Jimmy Valvano

kwells

If it came from a running engine then those marks should be on.  Unless it is something that we did by putting the rotor on then I'm done with that motor for now.  I have ordered a new head gasket so that we can use the original motor with a transplanted head.  I think at this point we have to start cutting our losses.  Later on we will crack open the Donor motor that has given us our current problem.

www.wellsmoto.com

Rick G

I seem to recognise those dirty fingers with the grime under the nails !!! I have a set just like them!! :D
Rick G
Go soothingly on the grease mud, as there in lurks the skid demon
'82.5 Yamaha XZ550 RJ  Vision,
'90 Suzuki VX800, 1990 Suzuki DR350.
'74  XL350   Honda , 77 XL350 Honda, 78 XL350 Honda, '82 XT 200 Yamaha, '67 Yamaha YG1TK, 80cc trail bike

kwells

yeh those nails don't seem to want to come clean.  No rest for the wicked I suppose.

www.wellsmoto.com

Tanno

Carb cleaner and a nylon brush will clean them right up. (experience, I guess)
Industrial Technician by trade -- Curiosity by nature, tinkerer by choice.
"Handle every situation like a dog would. If you can't eat it or screw it; Piss on it and walk away!" -- Unknown

kwells

I'm trying to decrease my intake of xylene and xylene based products Tanno.  I just cut off a good deal of the grime with the nail trimmer and scrubbed off most of the remaining crap.  I'm no hand model so I guess I'll manage with what is left on.

www.wellsmoto.com

inanecathode