First project of Winter Underway: An Inane & kwells presentation

Started by kwells, January 09, 2008, 07:17:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rick G

I worked in a shop in San Rafel , that had a  hot tank , which was only hot one day a week . The rest of the time I dunked my hands in it, for a couple of minuets, on the way to lunch. My hands were pink and squeaky clean. This was pre OSHA !!
Rick G
Go soothingly on the grease mud, as there in lurks the skid demon
'82.5 Yamaha XZ550 RJ  Vision,
'90 Suzuki VX800, 1990 Suzuki DR350.
'74  XL350   Honda , 77 XL350 Honda, 78 XL350 Honda, '82 XT 200 Yamaha, '67 Yamaha YG1TK, 80cc trail bike

kwells

So got a head gasket ordered in preparation for a head/valve swap.  Should be here in a few days.  Looks like tomorrow we'll be dropping the engine and stripping off the extraneous stuff we need for the other motor.
Got 4 packages in the mail today
Seat(looks great smokinjoe)
3 left-side gaskets
tire changing station
motorcycle wheel adapter for the station
...a vision is never complete.

www.wellsmoto.com

kwells

Took Mond and Tues off but back at it again today.

Still waiting for the head gasket but while we are waiting we dropped our FUBAR'd motor out of the bike and robbed the front head off for the swap early next week. 

Then we did a bit more bondo sanding and primed the tank fully.  A few blemishes here and there can be seen but I think it will turn out good after we do some touch-up bondo.

Since dropping the engine only took about 30 mins and the paint work only took about 15 mins.   

We started on my #2 Vision (Blackie).  She was in need of a totally new starter clutch since it got shredded. 

A stator was also needed.  So we got busy doing the starter clutch swap.  After letting the impact driver work the puller a couple good BFH whacks had it off.  A lil finessing the rollers and springs back together and the new one was ready to get torqued down.

The replacement stator I bought used came WITH the cover so now we just have to solder the lines in and good to go.

I also had a bit of an issue with some rust around the battery box.  The battery overflow tube decided to come off which rusted out that whole area.   An air drill and a wire brush made short work of that and I got it cleaned and primed.

Amazingly, I think that Blackie may get fired up tomorrow after having sat for 3 years now.  Of course if the usual problem decides to come up...then it will have to wait til next week. BUt might get to hear those MACS that I miss. 

www.wellsmoto.com

inanecathode

The engine we got to replace the borked head engine that was in parts bike is jacked big time. Nothing stuck in the valves, nothing dropped into the cylinders, something in the front lower half of the engine is smacking against something else. Sounds like a crank or something similar in size. With the stethescope it sounds like most the noise is coming from the front sprocket (whatever that one is attached to, the one with springs in it)
//////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////
If you can't tell your friend to kiss your ass then they aren't a true friend.
//////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////

Lucky

that's the counterbalance weight. check the alignment marks. if they are good, then pull the gears & see if one of the keys are sheared.
1982/3 XZ550 Touring Vison, Gold on Black

kwells

maybe we'll have to do that check tomorrow.  At this point both engines are now off with the front heads removed.  It does appear that someone has been in there so it is entirely possible something has been put back together wrong.

We are probably better off moving forward with the head fix of the original motor.  I may use the 'counterbalance' motor as something to build up for track use....cams, pistons, lighter flywheel.

www.wellsmoto.com

gph

Kwells, so what did you use to clean up the engine-I thought deathblow was, well a joke! Great reading though as everything you describe is exactly what I am about to under take; including the thunk! I am checking the counter balance tonight.

kwells

actually the engine was cleaned with some fine steel wool engine degreaser and some brake cleaner for the tough spots. 

Blackie:
The contacts in the kill switch were dirty and we spent some time chasing that down.  We got it to turn over though so we are good in that dept.  Now we have some spark and just have to fix up some electrical things and she should fire up on Monday.  Stay tuned.

www.wellsmoto.com

kwells

So Monday proved to be more frustrating than I anticipated.  After getting kill switch ground cleaned we thought we'd chase down an electrical short that kept blowing the Signal fuse.  No dice.

Tues
We started out today at Radio Shack for some fuse related materials and headed back to the garage.  Basically we had a wire suspect shorting so we split the wiring harness along its length and started looking.  All looked good so we sorta stepped back and looked around the bike.  The turn signal relay was prob the only thing we didn't mess with.  After disconnecting it...no more blown fuses.  Hmm ok...so I swapped in a spare and bam....all is well. So we taped the harness back up

Gas, battery, Key
after about 2 cranks BLAM she roared alive and she was loud.  After hooking some other things up and putting some oil in the crankcase we hit the key again....BLAM right alive again within 1/2 a cycle.  All without an airbox or synching

I have a phone vid I will have to get uploaded...it's a thing of beauty.

Tomorrow Blackie gets some minor frame paint, plastics, and her tank.

www.wellsmoto.com

kwells

Wed/Thurs
Blackie
I split open Blackie's tank and discovered a few things...First off the cap was rotted away from the inside and needed to be hammered into pieces to get out.  Secondly, it's an 83 tank/petcock.  It does/did have a Kreem liner in it which will have to be removed so that I can properly line it with POR15.

I stupidly put some of the retrieved gas from the bike into my car to dispose of it.  It killed the Malibu and left me stranded on a rather chilly 3am ride home from work.  A 100.00 tow and about 6 hrs of time messing with getting the tank dropped and cleaned out fixed that up though. 

Lesson Learned.

Friday
Gray Bike
We got our new head gasket earlier in the week and decided today was the day to put the good head on the original motor.  The manual outlined the process thoroughly and the marks were easily lined up.  A few torqued head nuts and cam bearing caps and it was ready to go back in the bike.  Being that it was our 3rd time swapping motors, we got it installed in 15-20 mins.  We also learned that getting the rear exhaust flanges installed onto the head BEFORE the engine install makes life a hell of a lot easier.  So we left with the engine in and the rear exhaust hooked up.  Maybe be end of weekend we can hear it run.
Oh yeh, Ron McCoy was right...after consulting the manual we believe the countershaft sprocket is off causing the countershaft to run into the crankshaft.  We have not pulled off the sprocket to see if it has splines or simply held by a nut.  In due time.

www.wellsmoto.com

h2olawyer

Malibus don't like bad gas . . .  ::)

I'll be doing the 83 carbs starting this weekend.  Also taking various parts to the painter next week for an estimate.  Then it will be time to get Tractor back into running & riding shape.  Both bikes need tyres.   :P  Looks like i finally have a line on an 83 right rider peg. (Thanks kiwibum & Night Vision!  You guys are great.)

Next major project is locating a valve adjustment tool.  If someone would allow me to borrow one for a while, I may be able to get a few made.  You would get it back, but it may be a month or two.  I have a small lathe / mill, great for model making.  It should work great for making such a tool.  Need to find some drive belts for it before I can get that going, though.  Anyone here familiar with EMCO Unimats?  I located a belt seller on eBay, so that shouldn't be a problem.

H2O
If you have an accident on a motorcycle, it's always your fault. Tough call, but it has to be that way. You're in the right, and dead -on a bike. The principle is not to have any accident. If you're involved in an an accident, it's because you did not anticipate. Then, by default, you failed.

kwells

I've yet to do the valve check.  Do we have adjustable valves?  Thought it was a shim over bucket.

www.wellsmoto.com

h2olawyer

They are shim over bucket, but to get the shim out, it helps to have the bucket drepressing tool.

H2O
If you have an accident on a motorcycle, it's always your fault. Tough call, but it has to be that way. You're in the right, and dead -on a bike. The principle is not to have any accident. If you're involved in an an accident, it's because you did not anticipate. Then, by default, you failed.

kwells

ok...thought u meant we could just turn a screw somewhere to get back spec

VTEC shite

suppose you could check your clearance without having the tool as well.  You may find you wont need it at all!

www.wellsmoto.com

inanecathode

Clearance screws are freaking awesome, thats how volkswagen does it. Loosen the lock nut, put in the feeler, adjust it in till it drags, tighten the lock nut and you're done :O
If you can't tell your friend to kiss your ass then they aren't a true friend.

Rick G

Screw adjusters are ok, But not often used on double overhead cam 4 valve engines . If you adjust the valves while the engine is out of the frame you may be able to do it with out the tool . If its in the frame  you WILL need it .
H20  Lucky gave us instructions on making a tool out of  a (I think) 27 mm  wrench. Nothing needed but a grinder , I believe.  It will be in the archives , or maybe he can repost it.
Rick G
Go soothingly on the grease mud, as there in lurks the skid demon
'82.5 Yamaha XZ550 RJ  Vision,
'90 Suzuki VX800, 1990 Suzuki DR350.
'74  XL350   Honda , 77 XL350 Honda, 78 XL350 Honda, '82 XT 200 Yamaha, '67 Yamaha YG1TK, 80cc trail bike

tben

Quote from: h2olawyer on January 25, 2008, 11:14:03 PM
Next major project is locating a valve adjustment tool.  If someone would allow me to borrow one for a while, I may be able to get a few made.  You would get it back, but it may be a month or two.  I have a small lathe / mill, great for model making.  It should work great for making such a tool.  Need to find some drive belts for it before I can get that going, though.  Anyone here familiar with EMCO Unimats?  I located a belt seller on eBay, so that shouldn't be a problem.

H2O

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&_trkparms=tab%3DWatching&viewitem=&item=250207900243&_trksid=p3907.m32

Quote from: Rick G on January 26, 2008, 01:01:00 AM
H20  Lucky gave us instructions on making a tool out of  a (I think) 27 mm  wrench. Nothing needed but a grinder , I believe.  It will be in the archives , or maybe he can repost it.

http://www.xz550.com/art_files/ValveShimTool.jpeg
Three grand essentials to happiness in this life are something to do, something to love, and something to hope for.
-Joseph Addison

67GTO

" Like a dream he flies away, no more to be found,
banished like a Vision of the night."
                                                Job 20:8    NIV

QBS

Reading this post is great.  The way we all support each other is a rare and wonderful fellowship.

h2olawyer

I have the "Lucky" plans for making the tool.  Just wanted an original because my milling machine can do duplications, like a key cutter.

As for the eBay tool, I'm not willing to pay that much for the it - you need to figure in the $15 flat rate shipping for something that would cost $2 to mail.   ::)  I'd go for $30 or so, but no higher.

67GTO -- As soon as I have the EMCO ready to fly, I'll let you know when I can get the tool made.  THANKS!

H2O