News:

We rely on our supporters to help keep us running. Thank You!

Main Menu

First project of Winter Underway: An Inane & kwells presentation

Started by kwells, January 09, 2008, 07:17:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

inanecathode

I smell like dead cats!
Old school carb dip is truly one of the most evil things i've smelled.
//////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////
If you can't tell your friend to kiss your ass then they aren't a true friend.
//////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////

inanecathode

67GTO

" Like a dream he flies away, no more to be found,
banished like a Vision of the night."
                                                Job 20:8    NIV

kwells

Sat
Gray Bike

Engine in...
Now needed to hook up all the electrics, install the radiator, and address the carbs.
So I rebuilt the carbs while Inane got the bike hooked up.  Within a couple hours we were ready to give it a whirl.

On the 2nd try she revved up.

There may be a couple potential issues though.  We noticed a slight tapping coming from within the case and will check the status of the starter clutch.  Also the fan did not cycle on but we didnt let it run for all that long so I think that may be an easy problem.  The master cylinder was pretty rough inside but still liquid so we got that cleaned out and bled the system.

Monday we will need to put some clamps on the carb boots and do a better job of synching.  As it is now, it will start up with about 1 secs of cranking so I think they are close.
Next on the list of things to do:
Finish paint work
Mount new tires
...a vision is never complete.

www.wellsmoto.com

kwells

Sund
Was an crazy nice day today so took the Red V out today. After I got back to the garage I decided to tackle some of the paint stuff that had been lingering while we were getting the motors up and running.
Blackie
I got the first 2 coats of black on the brake caliper, rear swing arm, and side stand. 

After the first 2 coats were doing some drying I cleaned up, taped off, and shot a couple coats of black satin on the frame.

More to come....

www.wellsmoto.com

Night Vision

if it ain't worth doing it the hard way....
it ain't worth doing it at all - Man Law
;D

if it ain't broke..... take it apart and find out why

don't give up.... don't ever give up - Jimmy Valvano

kwells

it's blue...PO did that so Im not sure what the new spring rate is.  It is an 82 setup tho.

www.wellsmoto.com

kwells

Mond

Back at it..
Today the Gray bike got some new oil and we fixed the discovered valve cover leak. It will need a set new shoes(404's) on and paint at this point.   

Blackie is looking pretty good with new satin black on the frame.  Still working out what I'll do for her but it may be a work in progress cosmetically.  For now I need to mount her newly blacked swing arm, caliper, and sidestand.  Haven't decided what to do with the aluminum but I may do a combination of paint/polished aluminum.

Pretty soon we'll have to get our #4 Vision in the garage for its going over.....GREENY

www.wellsmoto.com

inanecathode

My notorious green bike :D
Bird fodder!

Gray bike is pretty much done, just needs paint (work in progress)

kwells

So this week we focused more on the Gray Bike's paint and the cosmetics of Blackie
Except for the carbs that I redipped on Blackie since the accelerator nozzles were clogged. The old style death dip required some protective equipment.

The oxidation is slow but surely coming off and revealing some shiny aluminum.  I also took the opp to make a few changes too

www.wellsmoto.com

vadasz1

Keep it upright and she'll always be happy!

'82 Vision XZ550RJ with full fairing, shaved tail light housing and covered in blue hammertone enamel.

inanecathode

Paints almost done for the gray bike, blackie has a nicely painted swingarm and final drive as well as some cleaned and polished pieces. Wednesday should be the day gray bike is done and we can move on to other things :)

kwells

I ran into some car issues recently and that has kept me out of the garage until my parts came in. Will be putting in my fuel pump tomorrow hopefully and back at it.  I will bring my digi camera to take some better pics than I've been posting from my phone. 

Right now we have 6 bikes being operated on and another 2 Dirt bikes after that.  Some just need maintenance and some are being torn down and rebuilt so some project management has to be employed to get them all up and running by the break of spring.
DONE & NEEDS TO BE DONE IN PROGRESS
My Red Vision(maintenance, fork seals)
Blackie(swingarm & frame paint, stator, starter clutch, tires, bleed brakes, carb cleaning, battery, deep cleaning & polishing)
Triumph Sprint (new chain, chain-guide, paint scratch fairing, install new hardbags, check valves, maintenance)
Gray Vision(engine swap, head swap, engine swap, carb cleaning, starter clutch, paint tank & plastics, deep clean, tires, battery)
Greeny Vision (starter clutch, tires, paint tank & plastics)
Inane's personal ride: 83 V (polish paint, seat, battery, deep cleaning, carb cleaning)

So, we still have a bit of work to do but I think it will all be done by April 1

www.wellsmoto.com

vadasz1

Keep it upright and she'll always be happy!

'82 Vision XZ550RJ with full fairing, shaved tail light housing and covered in blue hammertone enamel.

kwells

Will do
Could see some of the side projects easily lingering into the end of April but none that keep me off the road

www.wellsmoto.com

kwells

Some warmer days have started poking through the blanket of Denver Winter so we get to open the garage door now some.

We have a new project in addition to the couple others that are going.  A 79 GL1000 w/ Vetter fairing/bag package.  It will be a pretty bike once clean up.  Overall right now it is in fair condition and has 73k miles and some rough paint.  It's not a spring chicken for sure but should be able to get another 30k before some more major problems.  It would be nice to be able to get it to a nicer condition but we may have to settle for 'clean'.

The other bikes havent had too much progress other than painting some small bits here and there. 
Gray bike now has new tires mounted and needs final coat of paint. 

My Blackie is getting its 83 pegs painted up to match the swingarm and will be installed next weekend.  Once the front brake is bled it will be ready to accept my new tank and get some miles.

All in all we are working on about 3-4 bikes in any given week so things arent getting done too quickly but for the next week will be focusing on chasing ignition issues on the GL1000.  Tomorrow I will bring the camera for some visuals.

www.wellsmoto.com

kwells

Coils in...

VROOOOM
she runs and runs well.  Now to do some fixes on temp sensor and a coolant leak.  Valve clearance and it's a runner.

www.wellsmoto.com

inanecathode

We got the TT running somewhat normally today, REALLY needs a muffler. About 150 dB of need to be exact!
I also got a pair of weber 34s in my beetle today :D

kwells

pics taken today...will have more with the panels on sat

www.wellsmoto.com

Rick G

I'm glad you two are working on that wing , I >:( HATE the things  . Too much like a car !  The newer ones are even worse.
Rick G
Go soothingly on the grease mud, as there in lurks the skid demon
'82.5 Yamaha XZ550 RJ  Vision,
'90 Suzuki VX800, 1990 Suzuki DR350.
'74  XL350   Honda , 77 XL350 Honda, 78 XL350 Honda, '82 XT 200 Yamaha, '67 Yamaha YG1TK, 80cc trail bike