First project of Winter Underway: An Inane & kwells presentation

Started by kwells, January 09, 2008, 07:17:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

inanecathode

Hate's a strong word rick, im sure you'd like one after 1200 miles  ;) :D ;D
//////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////
If you can't tell your friend to kiss your ass then they aren't a true friend.
//////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////

Rick G

I've ridden far more than that on other peoples Wings , But then I hate all over weight,  ponderous motorcycles . If over 500 lbs its not for me . It comes from riding 320 lb race bikes  and 200 lb dirt bikes.
Rick G
Go soothingly on the grease mud, as there in lurks the skid demon
'82.5 Yamaha XZ550 RJ  Vision,
'90 Suzuki VX800, 1990 Suzuki DR350.
'74  XL350   Honda , 77 XL350 Honda, 78 XL350 Honda, '82 XT 200 Yamaha, '67 Yamaha YG1TK, 80cc trail bike

kwells

that thing is a beast for sure.  It makes my 500lb+ sprint feel like a dirt bike
...a vision is never complete.

www.wellsmoto.com

inanecathode

Yeah but, they're SOOOOOOoooooo smooth and comfy. You can easily outpace a regular car and not even feel the effects. Thats the one thing that makes me shy away from extended motorcycle trips, its not like a car where you just drive, you're constantly fighting the wind.

Rick G

Their smooth, until the first time you accidental knock the thing off of the centre stand  and catch it . I didn't drop it to the ground ,but I dam near died waiting for help to arrive, to get it back up on the stand .

Their smooth, until you have to remove the rear wheel for a tyre change (especially the newer ones, with a trailer hitch)) or have to install a new LCD display ( part is around 600.00 dollars). for either job, its worse than working on a car. I've done both.  You have to take everything off  to get at anything.
Rick G
'74  XL350   Honda , 77 XL350 Honda, 78 XL350 Honda, '82 XT 200 Yamaha, '67 Yamaha YG1TK, 80cc trail bike

inanecathode

Yeah but...
Its a gooooooldwiiiiiiing
So smooth... water cooled, so big and comfy. Fast, efficient.
Come to the dark side rick, we have goldwings...

Tiger

:) I gotta say, I agree with Rick...I got rid of my '79 for some of the same reason's. Sooooo heavy...If I didn't get her on the centre stand first try...side stand!!! They are a P.I.T.A. to work on and expensive for part's...apart from the fact I'm short in the leg's and safety was an issue for me!!!

8).......TIGER....... 8)
Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming HOOOOYA lets go again baby !!!!!!

'82 Vision, Pearl Orange finish, lots of up-grades!!!

Night Vision

Quote from: inanecathode on March 14, 2008, 12:04:10 PM
Yeah but, they're SOOOOOOoooooo smooth and comfy. You can easily outpace a regular car and not even feel the effects. Thats the one thing that makes me shy away from extended motorcycle trips, its not like a car where you just drive, you're constantly fighting the wind.

the last "extended ride" I took was 6 or 8 hours against a headwind to Tiger's.... not so bad.... even on a naked V.

you might want to try doing chinups if the wind beats you up in the fight. pullups would be good too, but the chinups, with your palms away, would emulate the grip on the bars better.

if it ain't worth doing it the hard way....
it ain't worth doing it at all - Man Law
;D

if it ain't broke..... take it apart and find out why

don't give up.... don't ever give up - Jimmy Valvano

kwells

dont need a big ass GL1000 fairing to keep the wind from beating you up...even the small shark V fairing breaks it up just fine. 

www.wellsmoto.com

Rick G

In my thirties I worked for Temple City Honda, among my duties was  assembling new bikes , among them were  wings . They came in the crate, in a short  semi trailer , which had a lift gate . I had to move them off the truck with a large furniture dolly, on end. ( no fork lift, I was the fork lift).When I got them to the ground, I had to lower the crate to the horizontal position alone. No wonder I have arthritis and shoulder problems. The truck driver, a black gentleman and also a teamster, watched my work and then went up front to get his paperwork signed. Later the parts man , related that he had said " That bald headed guy sure is strong" I guess so , those things weighed around 800. lbs in the crate. 
Rick G

inanecathode

I simply wont believe that the wind doesnt fatigue anyone but me. 80mph wind directly into your face and chest for 8 hours will make anyone tired.

Rick G

I tend not to run 80 on an open bike, the fairing makes it more comforable even possable. Not to mention that its not connected to a clumsy , over weight overly complicated bike.
Rick G

Walt_M.

Just gotta add my 2 cents, faired or unfaired is probably just an age thing. My last unfaired street bike was my '76 RD400 to which I added a bikini fairing. I had taken a couple of short, under 200 mi. trips on it unfaired and it was enough. I have 3 rides on my '83 Vision of over 800 miles and the fairing wins. My '92 TDM850 has a tiny fairing and it is almost enough but the Vision is better. As for the 'wing, may as well be in a car. As I said, my 2 cents.
Whale oil beef hooked!

Tiger

Quote from: Walt_M. on March 15, 2008, 05:15:42 AM
... faired or unfaired is probably just an age thing

:) I agree. When I got my "V" in '05, it was the first bike I had owned in over twenty year's!!! As a youngster, everything I rode was naked ;) However, I didn't enjoy the "bobble head doll" effect at speeds over 80, (50 m.p.h.) sitting in the Visions upright riding stance...I therefore went on a quest to find a full fairing, which I found and paid more money for, than a lot of guys pay for their Vision's :o ;D :D :D :D It makes for a more comfortable ride in all types of weather.

8).......TIGER....... 8)
Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming HOOOOYA lets go again baby !!!!!!

'82 Vision, Pearl Orange finish, lots of up-grades!!!

supervision

An older GL, is one of the bikes, I'd love to own.  They have a low center of gravity, makeing them quite flickable, as well, power from idel to redline.  Easy to go fast on. Carry a bunch of supplies, at the same time.  My dad used to let me ride it quite a bit, I rode it camping for Visionmiester's  bachelor party.  Good thing it had air shocks, to carry the beer! 
" border="0

zore

Quote from: Walt_M. on March 15, 2008, 05:15:42 AM
Just gotta add my 2 cents, faired or unfaired is probably just an age thing. My last unfaired street bike was my '76 RD400 to which I added a bikini fairing. I had taken a couple of short, under 200 mi. trips on it unfaired and it was enough. I have 3 rides on my '83 Vision of over 800 miles and the fairing wins. My '92 TDM850 has a tiny fairing and it is almost enough but the Vision is better. As for the 'wing, may as well be in a car. As I said, my 2 cents.

Good point.  As you get older, the bars seem to get taller and the riding position gets more relaxed.  Riding my monster with no fairing and clipsons is real easy since i'm much lower than I am on the xz with no fairing.  Even with the 83 bars (which are perfect)  I have a little fairing on it just to move the wind a little off my chest.
1982 Yamaha XZ550
1995 Ducati M900

Rick G

TIGER, I don't know what you paid , but we had a Visionary 5 or 6 years ago that paid 600. for a complete '83 fairing , his wife almost s**t her pants . he had to do some fast talking . I paid 120.00 for mine plus shipping from Vancouver BC . worth every penny!
Rick G

kwells

So today basically just ended about an hour ago for me so it was a long day but fun none the less.

GL1000
Good Done:
-she runs
-got coolant leak stopped
-tightened up leaky hoses
-sealed leaky valve cover
-hooked up fan(not tested)
-set carb mixtures and idle

Bad Done:
-Valve cover bolt broke off
-PO may have switched a couple rocker arms so needs addressing
-discovered other valve cover slight leak

will see about getting a couple parts from a local craigslister for it in the next couple days

BLACKIE
Lots done today on this one-installed and bled front brake NOTE-anyone not sure how to do this---GET A VACUUM BLEEDER---Done in 10 mins with completely dry system
-hooked up rear brake bar
-installed 83 pegs and brake lever
-more engine polishing
-hooked up synced carbs

Blackie still has no tank but my POR15 should be here on monday.  After my Euro tank is POR'd it will go on along with the matching plastics and will be ready for road testing. Look out car alarms she's close....

www.wellsmoto.com

kwells

UPS brought me 2 boxes from POR15. WooHoo!

Today we went back to the GoldWing.  Set the valves, worked on the valve cover leaks, tested the fan thermostat, and changed the rear end fluid.  It checked out so Inane took it out around the block for a test run.  Seemed to run pretty good so now we are down to hooking up the neutral and oil sensors and put the fairing back on.

Home stretch.

www.wellsmoto.com

inanecathode

I rode it today too :D
No plates, no headlight, wires hanging out all over, no timing cover. Eat your heart out ducati monster :P
Sooooooo smooth, good and equal power from idle to redline, absolutely smooth no vibrations at all, totally quiet, sound as a rock at speed. Tellin you guys, you want one you know it :P