News:

We rely on our supporters to help keep us running. Thank You!

Main Menu

You guys are useful.

Started by inanecathode, January 18, 2008, 12:24:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

inanecathode

Really, this forum has to be about the most useful forum i've ever seen on the internet. Other bike forums are either packed full of guys who just buy new stuff and don't know a thing about them, or kids who get mom and dad to fix/buy them bikes when they have trouble.

I took notice of the difference between this forum and all others when i went out on an expedition to find someone who knows anything about tt/xt500s. That number comes to about zero. Some answers i've gotten to my questions on other forums (dualsport conversion stuff):
Why are you fixing something so old its a waste of time
Why would you want to do that its fine as it is
I had one 30 years ago it was fun, never worked on it though
Get someone to do it for you
Dont touch it if you dont know anything about it

//////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////
If you can't tell your friend to kiss your ass then they aren't a true friend.
//////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////

Rick G

The XL350 forum   was slightly better than that , but the outfit hosting it screwed the pooch and it was down for quite awhile , which damd near killed it . Now, no one posts and so you can't get answers.
Rick G
Go soothingly on the grease mud, as there in lurks the skid demon
'82.5 Yamaha XZ550 RJ  Vision,
'90 Suzuki VX800, 1990 Suzuki DR350.
'74  XL350   Honda , 77 XL350 Honda, 78 XL350 Honda, '82 XT 200 Yamaha, '67 Yamaha YG1TK, 80cc trail bike

inanecathode

Its cool posting here because i know someone will have an idea/opinion/answer. Other forums its a crapshoot to be honest.

Rick G

Believe me,I've been tempted to ask advice  , here , for my XL !
Rick G
'74  XL350   Honda , 77 XL350 Honda, 78 XL350 Honda, '82 XT 200 Yamaha, '67 Yamaha YG1TK, 80cc trail bike

inanecathode

Im sure you'd get good responses then even :D
I'll be starting a TT500 thread in offtopic when i get to it :)

Lucky

i've forwarded this topic to Ron!  :D
1982/3 XZ550 Touring Vison, Gold on Black

Walt_M.

True TT500 story. When they first came out, '75-'76? The first one I saw had a fried clutch. It was in for a fix and I asked my friend the shop owner if the TT had a weak clutch. He said not really but he had to get the true story of what happened to this particular clutch from the guy's wife. It seems that one morning his truck wouldn't start so he decided to pull start it with the TT! He actually got the truck rolling but his wife had it in 1st gear and when she dropped the clutch everything stopped except the engine on the TT.
Whale oil beef hooked!

supervision

I agree, this is a very cool place to be, Ben.  I saw you and Kevin's work over on advrider, that was a great thing to do comming from both of you.  I lurk there, regularly, that site has mucho people!  I'd sign-up but I'm semi-retarded on a computor.  I am signed up on this honda 305 site, it just doesn,t get the action, like this site or advrider.
" border="0

Rick G

In 1965, my friend and co-worker  Dan Osborne, went to Yamaha International,  when it was on Telegraph Road in Pico Rivera, after work. Of course no one was there, so we went dumpster diving in the roll off container , parked by the service department door.  We found all manner of wonderful things, TD1A cylinders, carbs , pistons , cranks, you name it . Someone was smuggling racing parts out the back door !
Now , I was on my YG1t , 80cc trail bike ,  with  a cut hub to allow a dirt sprocket to be mounted next to the street sprocket, for easy change over to dirt mode .
Dan was driving  my NSU Prinz car , a 583cc  2 cylinder, air cooled car, 1/2 the size of a VW bug. 
After we loaded all our contraband , the NSU wouldn't start!!! >:( >:( >:( , so I put the chain on the dirt sprocket and ran the front wheel up against the rear bumper and proceeded to push the car, with my 80 cc bike !! :o :o, Got it started too , and the clutch survived!!! :o :o :o :o ;D
Rick G

Coil Coyle

Quote from: Rick G on January 19, 2008, 01:26:10 AM
In 1965, my friend and co-worker  Dan Osborne, went to Yamaha International,  when it was on Telegraph Road in Pico Rivera, after work. Of course no one was there, so we went dumpster diving in the roll off container , parked by the service department door.  We found all manner of wonderful things, TD1A cylinders, carbs , pistons , cranks, you name it . Someone was smuggling racing parts out the back door !
Now , I was on my YG1t , 80cc trail bike ,  with  a cut hub to allow a dirt sprocket to be mounted next to the street sprocket, for easy change over to dirt mode .
Dan was driving  my NSU Prinz car , a 583cc  2 cylinder, air cooled car, 1/2 the size of a VW bug. 
After we loaded all our contraband , the NSU wouldn't start!!! >:( >:( >:( , so I put the chain on the dirt sprocket and ran the front wheel up against the rear bumper and proceeded to push the car, with my 80 cc bike !! :o :o, Got it started too , and the clutch survived!!! :o :o :o :o ;D

Rick,
        To push that load, you obviously are expert at using a clutch smoothingly, even if there is no grease mud.

;D
Coil

Walt_M.

And the vehicle being pushed/towed was not in 1st gear, even if it was not an NSU 2-stroke!
Whale oil beef hooked!

Rick G

The NSU is a four stroke and of coarse the engine was warm. I doubt it was in 1st gear and many have been in third. I wasn't involved  in gear selection , I left that up to Dan ,as I had my hands full.The real hoot was the front tyre on the 80  was rubbing on the rear bumper , making steering exciting too.
Rick G