Wistful thinking

Started by dchakrab, January 19, 2008, 01:27:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

dchakrab

I realize this isn't a Vstar forum, but you guys are the best resource I've ever found, and I got so much help when I had my accident that I thought I'd post this here.

So, if I had a totaled Vstar, but loved it so much I wanted to restore the thing even though I *know* it makes no sense, what would it cost? Bike was T-boned on the right side by an SUV, primary impact near the front of the bike, secondary on the driver's (my) elbow and the rear of the bike near the passenger footpeg.

1. Front right rotor is bent, left looks ok.
2. Forks are bent (both of 'em) badly.
3. Front wheel *looks* ok, and rolls.
4. Front fender is history.
5. Headlight was blown half a block away, but we found it, so I have the pieces...doesn't look repairable.
6. Handlebars are misaligned, might be straighten-able.
7. Tank's dented and scratched heavily, but doesn't *look* like it cracked or leaked.
8. Rear fender looks misaligned, like it's been shifted slightly to the left of the bike.
9. Right rider's footpeg was smashed up into the pipes.
10. Pipes are obviously history.
11. Seat looks ok.
12. Mirrors are scratched, but will do for a while.

Just trying to get a ballpark idea of what I could put into bringing that bike back to life, over time, assuming I can buy it back at auction in a year or two when the insurance company finally settles. Engine still starts and idles...she definitely *wants* to live. Hoping the frame's straight, but I don't know enough to tell.

Thoughts? I know it's a lost cause and I should give it up and buy a new bike when I get the settlement (according to my mechanic, anyway), but I hate to write off a bike...it's too personal.

Is there *any* way? This would involve hauling the bike back to Chicago from DC, so it'd be a very major project.

Thanks,

Dave.
Dave's Blog on community technology, Drupal, website development, and nonprofit SEO.

Project Manager at the Chicago Technology Coop, focusing on nonprofit web development.

h2olawyer

All I can offer is to look through eBay for possible used parts prices.  Also check the various Yamaha dealer sites for the parts you seek.  that way, you should find the cost range you would be looking at.

I know you are sentimentally attached to that bike, but if the frame is at all tweaked, you would be better off using it as a parts bike & finding a replacement to ride.  Tough to let go, but for safety's sake, it may be the best option.   :'(

How are YOU healing?

H2O
If you have an accident on a motorcycle, it's always your fault. Tough call, but it has to be that way. You're in the right, and dead -on a bike. The principle is not to have any accident. If you're involved in an an accident, it's because you did not anticipate. Then, by default, you failed.

inanecathode

Hope you're alright dude. Thats what's most important. Live to fix another day right?

Heres what you have to ask yourself:
Am i going to have more fun re-fixing a bike i've already had and spending more, or fixing a different bike that you've not ridden before and spending less.

With the kind of damage you're describing i cant imagine how the frame isnt tweaked. It could have also damaged other components you cant see as well.
//////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////
If you can't tell your friend to kiss your ass then they aren't a true friend.
//////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////

Rick G

When I was able to examine my first Vision , a week after I wrecked it  I had a difficult time  figuring out exactly what was wrong with the frame, but after I was able to bend down with out pain in my left hip, it was obvious that the swing arm mounts were bent.
I pulled out a second Vision and slowly started  detailing all the parts I would reuse and everthing on the "new " bike that needed attention.
Your frame is almost certainly bent, and this is a death sentence and  while frames can be straightened by a professional , the cost is extremely high.
Get a second hand Vstar and transfer what ever seems appropriate . your old star will live on  in spirit.
Rick G
Go soothingly on the grease mud, as there in lurks the skid demon
'82.5 Yamaha XZ550 RJ  Vision,
'90 Suzuki VX800, 1990 Suzuki DR350.
'74  XL350   Honda , 77 XL350 Honda, 78 XL350 Honda, '82 XT 200 Yamaha, '67 Yamaha YG1TK, 80cc trail bike

dchakrab

Can you tell my leg feels good enough to hold a bike up?  ;D

Well, my leg *feels* a little better, and I'm considering going back to jiujitsu classes, but the radiologist's report shows two stretched ligaments, a ton of soft tissue damage, and a radial tear in the meniscus. There's a tolerable level of pain pretty much constantly, though I can sleep nights without as much Sapphire & tonic. I'm seeing a surgeon next week to get the first of three opinions on whether or not I need surgery...surgery to remove the meniscus = knee replacement surgery in ~20 years, so hopefully it won't be required. It sounds worse than it is, when I write it all out like that...I'm walking without a limp most of the time, even when it's freezing out (currently 8 degress).

Other minor sore spots are better now...physiotherapy three times a week for the next year at minimum, though.

Dammit, I was really hoping I could have saved that bike. Ah, well. Perhaps it'll be resurrected as a parts bike, if I end up getting a new Star 1100. Unfortunately, it looks like I'll have the cash saved up for a new bike right about mid-summer this year, so it might not happen till next winter. Bastard drunk drivers.

Still, I can always get the Vision running, with any luck :)

Dave. 
Dave's Blog on community technology, Drupal, website development, and nonprofit SEO.

Project Manager at the Chicago Technology Coop, focusing on nonprofit web development.

smknjoe1964

Hey Dave !
    Read your last post .Sounds like your still having a little bit of trouble getting around ! If getting those rotors off is going to be too much trouble just let me know . If I was you I would hang on to the vstar if you can and when you get your money shop for another one and then you would already have a parts bike for it like you do your vision !

Rick G

I had a torn meniscus from falling from a ladder , twice , about a year apart . They did arthroscopic surgery last June. Of coarse I have lots of  arthritis damage too. My knee pops and hurts like hell  occasionally , so I carry a cane in the car and use those electric shopping carts , when its acting up. Some people are mildly amused  when I ride up on my bike and put my helmet in the basket, to go shopping. Riding doesn't bother it  ,even falling off, just walking. Hopefully my knee will last as long as I need it!
Rick G
'74  XL350   Honda , 77 XL350 Honda, 78 XL350 Honda, '82 XT 200 Yamaha, '67 Yamaha YG1TK, 80cc trail bike

dchakrab

Hey all,

Yup; I'm looking into alternatives to surgery, like wearing one of those custom braces for a while and hoping it's enough, but we'll see what the ortho docs, chiropractor, and lawyer all have to say about it.

Hmmm. Hopefully I can store the Vstar in DC without too much trouble till gets sorted out, and then figure out what to do about bringing her home. Keeping it as a parts bike seems like a good idea; I'd love to own another one at some point, since I probably won't have the cash for a Venture any time in the near future :)

Smknjoe: Getting the disks off shouldn't be too impossible, once I know what it entails. No jacks / stands, though, so I'm not sure how I'd keep it up; might have to figure something out.

Thanks,

Dave.

Night Vision

Quote from: Rick G on January 21, 2008, 11:03:22 PM
I had a torn meniscus from falling from a ladder , twice , about a year apart . They did arthroscopic surgery last June. Of coarse I have lots of  arthritis damage too. My knee pops and hurts like hell  occasionally , so I carry a cane in the car and use those electric shopping carts , when its acting up. Some people are mildly amused  when I ride up on my bike and put my helmet in the basket, to go shopping. Riding doesn't bother it  ,even falling off, just walking. Hopefully my knee will last as long as I need it!

It would be even more amusing, if you kept the helmet on, when riding the grocery getter  :D
if it ain't worth doing it the hard way....
it ain't worth doing it at all - Man Law
;D

if it ain't broke..... take it apart and find out why

don't give up.... don't ever give up - Jimmy Valvano

Rick G

Don't think I haven't thought about it!! ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D
Rick G