XZ550 Lemon?

Started by simcha, January 26, 2008, 05:25:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hartless

so i read a lot of this thread, and am pretty  interested how this turned out, if they ever made a more realistic article?
Ride Hartless or stay home

"strive for perfection , settle for excellence"

Shop Rat

Quote from: Lucky on January 27, 2008, 04:23:35 PM
Dear Mr. Gibson,

As i'm now your probably aware, your recent article in the "Lemons" section of Classic Motorcycle Mechanics Magazine, concerning the Yamaha XZ550 was grossly inaccurate.  The bike simply never had issues with cam failures, cam chain failures, small end bearings, or pistons. They did have issues with carburetion, starter clutches, & charging. These issues have been easily resolved by current & former enthusiasts, & thanks to the internet, we have an informal 'international team' working on the charging issues.  I'd like to mention the charging issues are no different than those experienced by other model bikes, and certainly do not diminish the bikes over all appeal.

----------------

Peter "Lucky" Byer

East Tennesee, USA

BRAVO!!!!!! "Worst bike ever made?"  I guess he never heard of the Yamaha TX750, Early Honda Vee-4s and Certain vintage Harleys.

Frank C.
frankcalandra49@gmail.com
'82 XZ550
'83 CB1100F

Hartless

just fyi, this thread is a few years old

kiwibum

I like the fact they are considered lemons! I wouldn't had got one originally if they weren't cos I couldn't, and still can't, afford any of the so called non lemon bikes. I'm keeping mine until they become vintage (40 years or old in NZ) so I can afford to ride it again and get the cheap registration fees. Hopefully I'll still be strong enough to hold the bike up by then. ;D

kev10104

All fantastic responses and my wife walked by and asked why I was smiling looking at the computer.Tell them like it is boys.

Hartless

oh boy. shouldnt even have replied in this thread haha.

Cdnlouie

Actually I started some correspondence with Rod Gibson and he welcomed a good article on the Vision regarding what present owners have done to improve the bike and continue to enjoy it. I actually called him up and talked to him.

Of course everyone should know that the "Lemon Article" was British tongue in cheek humour whereby they took a crack at any motorcycle they could identify for almost any reason.  The articles were always a combination of old wives tales and circumstantial evidence painted up to sound as credible as possible.  No need for anyone to get "their knickers in a knot."

Very sadly, Mr. Gibson passed away not long after and the magazine actually got so much flak for the "lemon articles" that they decided to drop the idea.  After a while you begin to insult all your customers since it is "Classic Mechanics" and you start to lose subscriptions so they decided to adopt a more positive approach.

Rob Gibson was a tremendous motorcycle enthusiast and had a great sense of humour, the motorcycle community experienced a great loss.  The sad truth of the matter is that our Visions will most likely still be around when we are not... so be careful what you call a lemon.