Main Menu

XZ550 Lemon?

Started by simcha, January 26, 2008, 05:25:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

kiwibum

Not sure what standards they are using for underpowered. I've meet two guys recently (one that works in a Yamaha bike shop, one that use to) that both remember the XZ and mentioned a racer here Richard Scott turning up at the track on his new XZ550. He wiped the floor and everyone else with it, the guy from the shop said Scott did better lap times in the 80's on his XZ than most guys do on their 600's at track days now. The other one was trying to convince me Scott was the sole reason then created BEARS (British, European, American race series) here because originally it was for big twins and Scott annoyed them so much by leaving them all behind (best corner speeds) that they created a series to exclude the bike. Another wives tail, who knows but I look forward to getting a XZ550 race bike together to see what affect I can have on the post 82 classics class.

simcha

Well if Rod thinks there are no XZs running then he has either a short memory or selective recall as I met him only a few months ago on my XZ when he came to visit my mate who has had his bike featured in the same issue.
I will track him down in person at the Donnington Classic Bike show this weekend. He can ride my mostly standard XZ now or wait until the summer when I have completed by "best bike" to near new condition. ( anyone got a good condition ignition switch???)  So thats two he can ride.

Cdnlouie

I have some amazing news to share wtih you today.  After my second letter (posted above) I received this response today:

Editor Rod Gibson of CMM says:

Hi CDNL,

Thanks for this. I'm very happy to have as much informed opinion as we can get in the magazine, and some practical knowledge about rider development and fixes always goes down well. If you're serious with your offer to write a piece on the XZ your'e on.

What I need is good, high quality photography, preferably as hi-res uncompressed jpg files burned to CD or DVD. Accompanying text is best as extended captions (say around 100 words each), with a couple of paragraphs of background info. A three page feature would run with around 15 pictures and 1500 words. What I have in mind is a 'sows ear to silk purse' type feature; showing how to take a standard bike and carry out the mods and tweaks it needs to make it good.

At the same time I'll carry on looking for an XZ for a proper road test - I now have a lead on a running bike only 120 miles away, but haven't yet managed to make direct contact with the owner. If we can get a good shoot in the can this Spring both features could be running towards the end of summer; maybe even back to back in the same issue.

All the best,
Rod.

CDNL: Well, what do you all think of the gauntlet being thrown down?  We have just gained an opportunity to publish a present day article on our Visions.  Then we need to make sure our buddy "simcha" has a good bike ready to go for the spring or we could be eating crow  ;D

Of course this would be impossible without the help of you all, so if you are game, I would be happy to write up the material by putting together any quality photos and descriptions that you can provide.  If we can take the best 15 tweaks to our Visions at the same time highlighting this great machine, this could be pretty cool.

To our posterity,

Louie

YellowJacket!

Hot Shite!  Good Job Louie!

Isn't paulsheffield over there in England? Who are our other members across the pond?

David

Living the dream - I am now a Physician Assistant!!   :-)

h2olawyer

This is great -- turning an initial negative into positive press for the Vision / XZ550!!

Awesome work, keep it up!

H2O
If you have an accident on a motorcycle, it's always your fault. Tough call, but it has to be that way. You're in the right, and dead -on a bike. The principle is not to have any accident. If you're involved in an an accident, it's because you did not anticipate. Then, by default, you failed.

Night Vision

Quote from: Cdnlouie on January 31, 2008, 04:56:08 PM

CDNL: Well, what do you all think of the gauntlet being thrown down?  We have just gained an opportunity to publish a present day article on our Visions.  Then we need to make sure our buddy "simcha" has a good bike ready to go for the spring or we could be eating crow  ;D

I'm not crowing, but I think the ED is tasting humble pie....

Simcha... if you can't find a switch... pm me with your addy...
if it ain't worth doing it the hard way....
it ain't worth doing it at all - Man Law
;D

if it ain't broke..... take it apart and find out why

don't give up.... don't ever give up - Jimmy Valvano

Night Vision

Quote from: Cdnlouie on January 31, 2008, 04:56:08 PM

....If we can take the best 15 tweaks to our Visions at the same time highlighting this great machine, this could be pretty cool.

15 upgrades? gixers! I must be missing some  ::)

#1.... roller steering head bearings
;D

Cdnlouie

I am open to suggestions on the format, but the point being to highlight the Vision experience and the process to produce a great bike for riding (present day).  Probably one pic is going to have to tell the story so it needs to be a good one with 100 words of description per pic.  You can do the steering head one NV. The sooner we get something put together and edited to suit, the better.  All we need to do is gets Lucky's site down into three pages and then make it tell the Vision story as well. Everyone can participate with providing info and checking our info, and especially getting good photography (that being one of the most challenging issues I believe).  I think we should make this a team effort because this site is focal point for some of the best Vision improvements since it was dropped by Mama Yamaha.  I am confident we have some good material that will be of interest to other classic motorcyclists.

Cheers to the CMM committee,

Louie

joevacc

;D ;D ;D ;D ;D 8) 8) 8) 8) 8)

Maybe we could take a sort of WIKI approach to the article? If you think that is a good idea cndlouie.  I think that we could all could have a look at what is being said to have a universally agreed upon approach to "tweaks" for instance.

#1.... roller steering head bearings
#2.... shock and spring upgrades

This is all I have done to mine along with keeping with the highest quality tires, brakes, and oils available.  Also, Keeping all the chassis bolts torqued and electrical connections clean have keep me going.

jv
-=[Joe Vacc]=-
"The most pathetic person in the world is someone who has sight, but has no vision."
Helen Keller

inanecathode

#1 Clean your carbs thoroughly
#2 Install a fuel filter
#3 Clean your stator plug
#4 Have a non sulfated (fresh and good) battery
#5 Line your tank
#6 Good tires (you'll need them)
#7 Brake tensioner bar bolts
#8 Ride the piss out of it, as much as possible
#9 Steering head bearings & tightening
#10 Steel brake line
//////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////
If you can't tell your friend to kiss your ass then they aren't a true friend.
//////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////

YellowJacket!

inanecathode

I think fork brace goes under 'things that are nice to have' it does help, alot, i'm not sure if the guy is wanting upgrades like upgrades or upgrades like things that'll keep you rolling.
If you can't tell your friend to kiss your ass then they aren't a true friend.

Lucky

you are hearby autherized to use anything from XZ550.com & my Vision CD, for this artical. 
Also, I have tons more pics of random parts, etc. if you need a pic, let me know (bear in mind, my didital camer is just an older HP 2.1mp)

--Lucky
1982/3 XZ550 Touring Vison, Gold on Black

Night Vision

Quote from: Cdnlouie on January 31, 2008, 06:45:13 PM

......Probably one pic is going to have to tell the story so it needs to be a good one with 100 words of description per pic.  You can do the steering head one NV.

umm, that may be a little difficult. All I have is a 748kb pic of the "pimpled" top race.... the bearings are installed and can't be seen. I'll do something with that, if you think it'll be good enough. 
;D

YellowJacket!

I *think* me and lucky took some pics when we upgraded our bearings.  I think...  Hey Lucky, did we take pics??

David

QBS

Considering the gracious turnaround, I wouldn't be at all surprised to find out that our editor has been doing some ROV lurking.

Fixes/ upgrades:
1. Fix rust holes in the tank(all old bikes have them) and then POR the tank.
2. Install an inline fuel filter.
3. Study up on carb tuning on the ROV site, dip the carbs, sync and tune the carbs.
4. Study up on YICS repair on the ROV site and test and repair the YICS as needed and directed.
5. Reattach the starter clutch.
6. Clean the starter motor, replace its brushes, replace the oil seal with the spring seal design.
7. Upgrade the steering head bearings to the caged roller design.
8. Upgrade the brake line or lines to the stainless steel design.
9. Hard wire the stator coil connection.

Several of these items are really old motorcycle generic, with the exception of numbers 3,4,5,6,8,9.

Cdnlouie

Just to keep it fun, maybe someone could put together a list and everyone can vote on the top 15 tweaks (rider development and fixes) that every Vision owner just can't live without.

I think that the members of ROV has made the whole process of finding a bike that has been off the road for years and supplied a reasonable restoration path, addressing the bike's weaknesses (inherited from Yamaha) and tuning it to be the best it can be as a reliable ride.  I think that would interest me as a reader and that it is probably the best way to present the XZ550 (a.k.a. Vision).

I think we could use the German fellows on this one as well if they are around or able to donate any good pics that will help us tell the story.

If we can start a new topic just to carry the information for the project that would be helpful.  I wish I had website capability to post and allow people to review what we are doing and post comments as they wish.  It is my desire not to offend anyone in this process and if that should happen please communicate with me about it so that we prevent anything heading down the wrong road.

I know we can't possibly address all the Vision features and the great ideas that have been shared here over the years, but the goal is to get the Vision out in front of readers worldwide so they might be inspired with confidence to keep these bikes running and to put some effort into restorations that will yield a really decent motorcycle.

In some ways the "bad press" helps our cause as well because it serves to get people's attention and this chance to follow up with a restoration article on the Vision is a fantastic way to attract interest.  People will realize that this is a very interesting motorcycle which only enhances their pride of ownership and desire to have one of these great bikes.

We are probably standing in a critical historical time where a bike that has been held in contempt for so many years is about to become a collectible.  Many classics are starting to move into higher values exactly because of the time that is ticking away and the number of machines are disappearing forever.

I think the Vision is transforming (in the public mind) from being "an ugly duckling into a swan" because now it can appreciated for the fact that it has survived, riders & owners like those on ROV have worked out solutions to enhance the motorcyle and guarantee its preservation.  You fellows have done a good job and this is a time to translate that work into public success.  I appreciate what you all have done and I think we should say "Yes" to this opportunity.  I will shoot him an email tomorrow and see if we can't kick this project into gear.

Do I hear a "So say we all"?

QBS

kwells

...a vision is never complete.

www.wellsmoto.com

Night Vision

email him and tell him we "might" be able to come up with ten...... but we really can't find all that much wrong with a Vision   :P

I like QBS's list so far..... number 10 could be: ride it to as many ROV meets as possible  ;) :D
;D