LOSS OF POWER WHEN ACCELERATING HARD

Started by thekid, July 27, 2004, 09:49:45 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

thekid

Sometimes when I'm accelerating hard (usually from mid range rpm 5 or 6,000)  My 82 loses power, and just kind of lags along. The problem started bike week in Laconia after a long ride. It was fine riding in, but then on the way back, it happened. I changed the plugs, ( the front one was blacker than the rear, which looked fine) and sprayed carb cleaner into the carbs and ran it. which helped a little but Im still not up to par. The accelerator pumps seem to be fine and the bike revs just fine in neutral, Its only when under power and Im really trying to goose it.PLEASE! any insight would be awesome, this is my first bike and I am doing all the work myself to keep the cost down, so I am trying to avoid mechanic bills!  -thekid
Ride It Like You Stole It!

George R. Young

Sable

My guess would be sinchronizing the carbs... sounds like the infamous "stumble"... make sure that you visit Lucky's site (www.XZ550.com) and follow the directions. Also, dipping and rebuilding the carbs will help out, if not solve the problem.... Also if you haven't done it already, add the in line fuel filter.
Best of luck with it... and I feel I can speak for most people on the board when I say "We've all been there"!

?~ Sable

PS - are you in the New England area? I'm in southeastern New Hampshire
1982 Yamaha Vision
1982 Motobecane 50V
1975 Kawasaki H-1
1972 Rokon Trailbreaker

GA_Wolf

I agree with sable...check your carb sync.  Not that hard to do and  you'd be surprised all the little quirks it can fix.  Also try running a can of berryman's carb cleaner in a tank or two of fuel.  Use the full can per tank.

Lucky

Not Berrymans Carb Cleaner, use Berrymans Fuel injector ckleaner. the liquid, not the spray. CAUTION: if your tank is coated with Kreem or any other vynal based tank coating (that you can catch with a fingernail or other sharp object) don't use the berrymans. it'll desolve the coating & hoplessly clogg your carbs.  

Rebuilding probably isn't needed unless your tank is full of rust.  you should have an inline fuel filter installed if you haven't already.  cleaning & synqing the carbs should do it.

--Lucky
1982/3 XZ550 Touring Vison, Gold on Black

GA_Wolf

Your right Lucky  I think it's what, Berryman's B-12....the smaller can of liquid.  That's what I meant..not spry cleaner.

Walt_M.

Hmmm, might be dirty carbs, might be the airbox flapper closing(vacuum leak) or the infamous rev limiter. I would disconnect the rev limiter wire first.
Whale oil beef hooked!