News:

Ridersofvision.net  welcomes you !

Main Menu

Carb tuning questions (82)

Started by SonyUser, July 27, 2004, 08:06:14 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

SonyUser

I've got an 82
I've recently rebuilt the carbs (twice) and it's running rich, my plugs are covered in carbon.  I bought a new set of main jets and main air jets.

An earlier mistake made it run better!  I accidentally put a set of main jets into the main air jets (whatever the ones on top are) and it ran better with the 127.5, 125.5 jets! - whatever size they are, I forget.  It ran great!

So,... maybe some previous owner cleaned my carbs out with a guitar wire or in some other way messed with them, throwing them that far out of whack, that the wrong jets actually helped?

If I start trying different jets again (these 130's are killing me) what's the proper procedure?  just tune it for feel, and check the plugs to make sure it's not running too rich or lean?

I let it sit for a week and today it won't start.. no way.. I coulda taken a hammer to it.. this bike is driving me nuts..

It never needs (or likes) the choke, usually two twists on the throttle get it going.
it does NOT have the airbox mod.

Any ideas? any questions?  any online FAQs for carb tuning?

-Chris

nvdranger

You didn't mention whether you synched the carbs or not, have you?  If not you can build one for $10 with the directions on Lucky's site or buy a mercury one for about $40 at you local dealer.  The synch is the first thing you should do, properly tuned carbs are a must on these things.
The stock jet size "should" be what you need unless your in a higher elevation, if you are you may want to ask h20lawyer what he is running.  The manometer will get you to the correct setting w/o the hassle of looking at the plugs.
I've noticed and read a few posts where the bikes dont want to start after a week or two of sitting.  I believe the gas evaporates from the carbs and you have none in there to start the bike.  I believe and others will have to confirm this, you will have to put the petcock on prime, choke it, i give a couple twists of the throttle to get a little gas from the accelerter pump, and should start after a couple seconds.
I and a few others dont have to use the choke as well.  I only use it if the bike has sat for several days or longer.

Hope this helps
Ken
'82 Vision project.  First Vision, First Bike.
Sometimes monkeys die, Sometimes monkeys die.  It not a good saying, but its a saying.

SonyUser

I haven't synched them yet, but I'll do that first and go from there.
I'm at standard elevation

Thanks,

-Chris

silicon_toad2000

Unless you can afford a trip to the local bike dyno, you will have to tune it by feel.
As you said your spark plugs are black with carbon so you're running rich, it sounds like its running rich at idle too since it doesn't like the choke.
You seem on the right track, go down a size on the main jets, but give your pilot jet screw 1/8 turn in and see if it idles better, keep going till it idles a little worse and then go back out 1/4 turn or 2 x 1/8 turns.
Like scootertramp has said in his ravings ... be at one with the bike. (I'm sure he said that somewhere :-/)
One mans clunker is another mans blank canvas.