"External" Modifications Improve Monoshock Performance

Started by YellowJacket!, February 09, 2008, 10:47:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

jasonm.

Quote from: YellowJacket! on March 22, 2008, 08:23:17 PM
been looking for one for a looonnnnggg time.  Pretty darn near unobtainium.  Would sure like to have one though if anyone has an extra. ;D

David
I found mine just by picking up the phone. Called a bunch of salvage yards. Got the one for the '82 I had from Oregon... I think, $100...I think.
looks aren't important, if she lets you play by your rules

YellowJacket!

Theres not many MC salvage yards around here that I know of.  Lucky and I are going to take a ride to one that he knows about and check it out.  Iv'e also been looking at some to the modifications that others have done to add a different shock setup.
If you come across any though, let me know.

Thanks,

David

Living the dream - I am now a Physician Assistant!!   :-)

YellowJacket!

WOOOOHHHHOOOOOOO!!!  Weighed today. 166!! Thats one pound away form my goal.  New goal is now 160 which would put my BMI (body Mass Index) at "Ideal".  That makes my weight loss total since January exactly 40 lbs!
That, in combination with the 83 monoshock that I traded for with NightVision should make for a very good riding V.

David

Tanno

I guess I shouldn't complain about my V's handling. I'm only 5' 6" and tipping at 160.
Industrial Technician by trade -- Curiosity by nature, tinkerer by choice.
"Handle every situation like a dog would. If you can't eat it or screw it; Piss on it and walk away!" -- Unknown

Brian Moffet

Quote from: Tanno on May 02, 2008, 05:07:56 AM
I guess I shouldn't complain about my V's handling. I'm only 5' 6" and tipping at 160.

Nah, Go Ahead.  No I couldn't.  What could it hurt?

Brian ( "she sleeps above her covers, 4 feet above the covers!" )

kwells

...a vision is never complete.

www.wellsmoto.com

YellowJacket!

Yeeha! Went out and bought new jeans today 34"!!  and their loose too.  Could probably squeeze into 32's but wife did 'nt want me to push it.  LOL
Weight is staying below 165 with a new target of 158 lbs very close in sight.  I have lost over 4" off my waist.

My only other problem now is my really nice Joe Rocket jacket is very loose.

David

kwells

...a vision is never complete.

www.wellsmoto.com

YellowJacket!

If I didn't have the jumbo 32oz margarita, chips and salsa, and monster quesedilla last night, I'd probably be 136.  ;D

David

vadasz1

Well I went from 205 down to 190 in about a month and a half.  So my future Vision rides should be quite easy on her. ;D
Keep it upright and she'll always be happy!

'82 Vision XZ550RJ with full fairing, shaved tail light housing and covered in blue hammertone enamel.

jasonm.

weight has very little to do with good handling. Either the suspension is good or it's not. The '82 shock is poor by all standards. The damping is non-existant. Making is very scary for those who attempt to follow me on my '83 while they are on an '82(shock) on a bumpy road.  The '82 you can actually feel the tire coming off the pavement on the roads I ride...not a quality piece. So that is why I got the '83 shock. Now someone else in IL. has that bike. I don't think he knows how lucky he is.

YellowJacket!

I've not noticed any real damping problems with my 82 shock.  YJ sems to handle quite well. But.... I do have an 83 that I got from NV that I'm goign to put on her and see the difference.

David

zore

Quote from: YellowJacket! on March 22, 2008, 03:56:36 PM
YEEEEEHHHHHHAAAAAA!!!

I haven't weighed in a couple days and decided to give it a shot today.  I usually weigh in in the morning before breakfast to get what people refer to as the most stable weight of the day for what it matters but todays weight was a mid day weight after a big breakfast and lunch.  The new weight.......

170!!!!! thats One hundred seventy!!! for those that are keeping track, thats 36lbs less than when I started!!!  so, I decided to try something else and dug down to the bottom of my jeans drawer and pulled out a well worn pair of Lee's and slid right into them and snapped the button.   The size......34!!!  I was a tight 38 when I started, my 36's slide right off and now I can button up my 34's with breathing room.  Thats over 4" off my waist!  (can you all tell I'm a bit excited?)  I haven't work 34's in over 15 years.  My goal of 165 is now well in sight with my "ideal" body weight being between 160 and 165.  I may shoot for 160 to give me a a little buffer.  So, since starting in January, I have averaged a healthy 12lb per month weight loss.  YJ handles much much better now.  ;D

David

That's fantastic dude.  I had lost 40 pounds about 2 years ago.  I found 30 of them this past year but we have started the biggest fatty contest at work and out of 3 of us, winner gets free hibachi lunch.  MMMM.  I started jogging again.
1982 Yamaha XZ550
1995 Ducati M900

jasonm.

some of the roads around me are..."rough and tumble". I would go through dips and bumps on the '82 and be bounced off the seat. If you have smooth roads most everywhere...you may never notice.  But even the magazines of the day said the '82 shock was junk and the damping of the '83 on position 1 was the same as the '82. So all other damping postions are for the better on the '83. Mine is #4.  Understand this slows the rate of the "rebound" so you don't go pogoing down the road. If you have a passenger on an '82... you may notice it more.

Tanno

Junk or not, I don't have a problem with mine. It works fine for me. The V is no BMW, but it's okay.
Industrial Technician by trade -- Curiosity by nature, tinkerer by choice.
"Handle every situation like a dog would. If you can't eat it or screw it; Piss on it and walk away!" -- Unknown

h2olawyer

Where I notice it most is on washboard pavement.  The 83 rear shock contributes to a safer ride, as the following narrative indicates:

Had a near incident today - came around a blind curve a little faster than normal, trying to keep up with a friend on his VFR800.  We were doing about 40 through a "suggested" 20 MPH right hand curve, following a creek bend with lots of brush blocking the view.  A truck came the other way almost entirely in my lane.  The curve had a nasty combination of washboards & lots of sand with a couple narrow strips of clear pavement.  Had to lay on the brakes while in the turn - never a good idea, but it was either that or change my line into lots of sand.  The V stayed very stable in the turn even with the binders going fairly strong & me forcing the bike to stay in the turn.  Luckily, the jerk in the pickup (towing a trailer) changed his line & we missed by about 2 feet.

If I'd had the old 82 shock, the rear would have been dancing around a bunch but the 83 shock kept the bike well planted to the pavement.  I don't think I'd have been able to hold my line with the 82 shock - but then again, I probably wouldn't have been riding that fast with that old shock, either.  I was all of 6 inches from the right edge white line, too.  Picked the proper lane position to be in.  Guess I know what a bug senses a second before hitting the windshield, but then blows over the top.  Had to pull over and take a couple good breaths after that one.  Glad I don't have any extra laundry to do - the shorts miraculously stayed clean.  Probably a good thing I went to Biker Sunday this morning & got both me & the V blessed!

H2O
If you have an accident on a motorcycle, it's always your fault. Tough call, but it has to be that way. You're in the right, and dead -on a bike. The principle is not to have any accident. If you're involved in an an accident, it's because you did not anticipate. Then, by default, you failed.

joevacc

Well you know what the last thing is that goes through a bugs mind when he does hit a windshield?...

His ass hole!  ;D

Glad you're safe.
-=[Joe Vacc]=-
"The most pathetic person in the world is someone who has sight, but has no vision."
Helen Keller

YellowJacket!

Quote from: joevacc on June 01, 2008, 11:32:26 PM
Well you know what the last thing is that goes through a bugs mind when he does hit a windshield?...

His ass hole!  ;D

Glad you're safe.

LOL!!! Just spit coffee all over my screen.

David

h2olawyer

That's an oldie but goodie.  Kind of the  reference I was going for in a bit of an oblique way.   ;D  Glad you picked up on it joevacc!  Even happier it caused YJ to need to clean his screen.   :D ;D :D

H2O
If you have an accident on a motorcycle, it's always your fault. Tough call, but it has to be that way. You're in the right, and dead -on a bike. The principle is not to have any accident. If you're involved in an an accident, it's because you did not anticipate. Then, by default, you failed.

Rick G

good to see an oldy but moldy , used. My wife complains that my jokes are old , so I told her , they should be ,I'm an old man!! ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D
Rick G
Go soothingly on the grease mud, as there in lurks the skid demon
'82.5 Yamaha XZ550 RJ  Vision,
'90 Suzuki VX800, 1990 Suzuki DR350.
'74  XL350   Honda , 77 XL350 Honda, 78 XL350 Honda, '82 XT 200 Yamaha, '67 Yamaha YG1TK, 80cc trail bike