News:

Ridersofvision.net  welcomes you !

Main Menu

Reshaping the Vision tank

Started by chimera, February 23, 2008, 07:01:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

vadasz1

Hey chimera, how's the progress coming along for this tank mold?  Will we be seeing a new tank soon?  If you can can you let us know how much a glassed tank will cost ROV members? I'm sure there are other members ::) who would like to have a maintenance free tank.

I most likely would like to be #1 but waiting in line is fine.  Looks like chimera is going to be quite the busy Visionary. ;D
Keep it upright and she'll always be happy!

'82 Vision XZ550RJ with full fairing, shaved tail light housing and covered in blue hammertone enamel.

Aelwulf

I know two here who might be pending cost. ;)

Ah, such fun to be out riding...
*thunk*
What was that?!

'82 Yamaha Vision XZ550RJ
'07 Kawasaki Vulcan 1600 Mean Streak Special Edition (VN1600B)

tt315

sign me up for one if they become available

chimera

Here's an update for ya. Setting up all the layers of glass takes a lot of time. Especially when you don't have a vacuum bag system or an autoclave. I didn't want to go cheap on strength, so I used some pretty heavy cloth, and I added a lot layers. I'm guessing it weighs about the same as a stocker. I had to reshape the area around the fuel cap to make it level. I just layed some cloth over one of my mixing bowls. It was almost a perfect fit for the gas cap. The tank spent a lot of time in paint prison, but turned out just fine. It's not show quality, but good enough for a vision. The fuel sight lines actually work too. Now I have a fuel gauge, and it's accurate!

Every tool is a hammer, except screwdrivers, those are chisels.
                         <a href="http://smg.photobucket.com/albums/v210/meatpopsicle/Bike/ ">-The other bike build-</A>

h2olawyer

Looks great!   8)  You do nice glass work.

H2O
If you have an accident on a motorcycle, it's always your fault. Tough call, but it has to be that way. You're in the right, and dead -on a bike. The principle is not to have any accident. If you're involved in an an accident, it's because you did not anticipate. Then, by default, you failed.

ps2/bikevision

WOW

thats pretty sweet. dont know about the fuel line but i guess it works.

QBS

EXCELLENT !!!

You are hereby awarded the highly prized and most prestigious QBS:

"Vnary among Vnaries Lifetime Ownership Achievement Award"

WELL DONE

vadasz1

"Holy Visionmeister Batman!"

That is one awesome looking tank.  What we all want to know now is how much for a primer ready tank along with the same fuel cap you are using.  I think we will all agree that it would be best if you would also supply the fuel cap and made sure that it fit the tank before it was to be shipped out.  But I'm getting to far ahead, so just a cost for the tank and fuel cap would be great.

Forgive my redundant rambling, but I think I need to go have a smoke and a coffee now. ;D

'82 Vision XZ550RJ with full fairing, shaved tail light housing and covered in blue hammertone enamel.

kwells

ding ding ding...we have a winner

better get a price list and ordering system ready.   I'm sure you'll have some eager customers.

...a vision is never complete.

www.wellsmoto.com

vadasz1

I just took a peek at your photobucket page and looked at your "other bike".  Holy Crap! :o :o :o :o :o

You are a fantastic fabrictor.  Maybe you should open a shop of your own and give OCC a run for their money by also having a show about customizing Jap bikes. ;D

YellowJacket!

Quote from: ps2 on August 07, 2008, 02:04:40 PM
WOW

thats pretty sweet. dont know about the fuel line but i guess it works.

I'll second, third and fourth that!

David

Living the dream - I am now a Physician Assistant!!   :-)

chimera

Well thank you very much. Yeah the fuel line is kinda ugly. I'm gonna use some vinyl window blackout to  make a tank pad/coverup, that will cover the sides and hopefully the fuel line. So I can uncover it to peak at the fuel when needed.

Now for the bad. I don't have any real intentions to build more of these. I'm not a professional, so I'm not a very efficient glasser. If I were making tanks for newer more high end bikes, the cost would be justifiable. If I were to sell these It would be for more money than I payed for the whole bike. That being said, I don't need the molds anymore. If someone else wanted to give it a go...

I'll be posting some pics of the finished bike pretty soon. I have to rebuild the carbs, and replace a few exhaust gaskets first. I had a lot of spare time, so it doesn't look much like a vision anymore.

:) yeah my other bike. Thanks, it took a lot of work. I really wish I could do this for a living.
                         <a href="http://smg.photobucket.com/albums/v210/meatpopsicle/Bike/ ">-The other bike build-</A>

elemonator

Really cool!! Is all fiberglass impervious to gas? Like chopped glass, the fiberglass they use in the RV industry, I know a place called Fibertron in Elkhart, IN on bus. US 20 that does this kind of work I seen corvette ground fx thay were making there..They make the fronts and rears for class A and Class B RVs and much more..I wonder if they could do something like this tank...Another ? how'd you join the top to the bottom? wow if you can do glass work like that...I mean I seen your photo bucket pics...and you do some awesome creative work!!

Rick G

really nice , makes me wish I had the bucks to try it. ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D
Rick G
Go soothingly on the grease mud, as there in lurks the skid demon
'82.5 Yamaha XZ550 RJ  Vision,
'90 Suzuki VX800, 1990 Suzuki DR350.
'74  XL350   Honda , 77 XL350 Honda, 78 XL350 Honda, '82 XT 200 Yamaha, '67 Yamaha YG1TK, 80cc trail bike

chimera

I believe all fiberglass resin is impervious to gas. I know the vinyl resin I used is. I joined the top and bottom halves by glassing them over. The correct way to do it is to bond them together. If you want to know what it takes to do the job right, and why it's so expensive, check out this link: http://www.bayarearidersforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=145975.

Brian Moffet

Composite construction isn't too difficult, as long as your careful.  The problem is that most people don't want to use the proper materials.  The epoxy used is not the 5-minute epoxy, you have to get enough epoxy on the and in the fiberglass cloth to saturate it but not over-saturate it. 

If anyone is interested in take a 2-day course in composite construction (airplanes, but it is applicable to other stuff as well), I recommend the Sport-Air workshops hosted by the Experimental Aircraft Assoc.  http://www.eaa.org/sportair/ (unfortunately, the sportair.com site is having problems...) 

They cost around 250.00 or so, cheaper if you belong to the EAA.  I took the composite construction one and got some really good information out of it.  Fiberglass, Epoxy and foam construction can be really strong and light weight.  I have one 12x12 piece (3/8 inch think foam) that will support my weight without flexing...

Brian

h2olawyer

I've done some fiberglass work - just wrapping plywood in a couple layers to seal it for use as flooring and frame platforms for whitewater raft use.  That was easy & didn't have to look perfect like it would for painting or airflow uses.  We also used some grit in the top resin coat to give some traction on the surfaces - after all, you're often getting in & out of the boat when everything is wet.   ;D  I was amazed how the fiberglass cloth entirely disappeared when soaked in the resin.  Glad we stained the plywood prior to wrapping.

H2O
If you have an accident on a motorcycle, it's always your fault. Tough call, but it has to be that way. You're in the right, and dead -on a bike. The principle is not to have any accident. If you're involved in an an accident, it's because you did not anticipate. Then, by default, you failed.

arfa vmax

tank looks realy good,nice one!!  do like the fuel strip in particular. as far as i know grp fuel tanks are not road legal in the uk for obvious saftey reasons which is a shame

ps2/bikevision

Quote from: elemonator on August 09, 2008, 12:25:49 AM
Really cool!! Is all fiberglass impervious to gas? Like chopped glass, the fiberglass they use in the RV industry, I know a place called Fibertron in Elkhart, IN on bus. US 20 that does this kind of work I seen corvette ground fx thay were making there..They make the fronts and rears for class A and Class B RVs and much more..I wonder if they could do something like this tank...Another ? how'd you join the top to the bottom? wow if you can do glass work like that...I mean I seen your photo bucket pics...and you do some awesome creative work!!

elemonator, i live in elkhart. where exactly is this place and i could ride over there and check it out. couldnt hurt to ask.

Tiger

Quote from: arfa vmax on August 09, 2008, 04:12:29 PM
...as far as i know grp fuel tanks are not road legal in the UK

:) Arfa, this is dependant on the year of the bike in the UK. I can't remember the cut-off year but a "Google" on your computer should dig up the correct info... ;)

8).......TIGER....... 8)
Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming HOOOOYA lets go again baby !!!!!!

'82 Vision, Pearl Orange finish, lots of up-grades!!!