Commuting on the vision again...

Started by Brian Moffet, March 03, 2008, 12:32:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Brian Moffet

It costs 50.00 every other week to fill up my tank on my car, so I'm commuting to work on my Vision again. A bit over 7 miles each way, through San Francisco city traffic. 

Nice ride though :-)

Brian

Coil Coyle

If I was doing that commute, I'd take 25th up to Lincoln and go that way. But I don't live there...
:'(
Coil

Brian Moffet

Brian Moffet

And the joys.  Went about the same distance on the Vision (144 miles) on a tank of gas as I do in the RX-7.

However, it only took 3.17 gallons to fill the Vision, it takes 12 in the RX-7.  City driving is terrible...

Brian (46.3 mpg for those counting.  Includes driving the vision from Santa Cruz to San Francisco)

YellowJacket!

Gas here hit abobe 3.15 today.  Looks like I'll be spending more tim on the V and less in the Accordion.

David

Living the dream - I am now a Physician Assistant!!   :-)

Brian Moffet

3.75 is what I paid yesterday...  San Fran has some of the highest gas costs in the nation...

Which is why I'm riding the vision...

Brian

Rick G

David , just perhaps , gas prices  will convince your wife  of the validity of owning the vespa.
When I bought the XL 350 , this was the tack I used . While my Vision was down,  I spent over 300.00 dollars in gas to get to work . So I needed a more economical bike  for around town and  would use the V on longer rides. As it turns out the XL gets about 30 mpg , unless I'm bombing around the desert or trails in the mountains , then it can go as low as 10 mpg ,if I'm in low gear country.
Rick G
Go soothingly on the grease mud, as there in lurks the skid demon
'82.5 Yamaha XZ550 RJ  Vision,
'90 Suzuki VX800, 1990 Suzuki DR350.
'74  XL350   Honda , 77 XL350 Honda, 78 XL350 Honda, '82 XT 200 Yamaha, '67 Yamaha YG1TK, 80cc trail bike

Tiger

:o Gas here in and around Toronto is $1.09 a litre...4 litres to an American gallon = $4.36 a gallon :o and our province of Ontario isn't the dearest!!! Given the snows we have had/having, the Vision, or any two wheeled transport, is not an option...not for at least another month ::)

8).......TIGER....... 8)
Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming HOOOOYA lets go again baby !!!!!!

'82 Vision, Pearl Orange finish, lots of up-grades!!!

joevacc

Quote from: Brian Moffet on March 11, 2008, 11:18:08 PM
3.75 is what I paid yesterday...  San Fran has some of the highest gas costs in the nation...

Which is why I'm riding the vision...

Brian

I just paid $3.83 yesterday!  I didn't look at the price until I saw that the fill up was $64.00!  My wife and I spend $350.00 to $500.00 per month on fuel.  Too much money!!!!!!
-=[Joe Vacc]=-
"The most pathetic person in the world is someone who has sight, but has no vision."
Helen Keller

YellowJacket!

Quote from: Rick G on March 11, 2008, 11:35:43 PM
David , just perhaps , gas prices  will convince your wife  of the validity of owning the vespa.
When I bought the XL 350 , this was the tack I used . While my Vision was down,  I spent over 300.00 dollars in gas to get to work . So I needed a more economical bike  for around town and  would use the V on longer rides. As it turns out the XL gets about 30 mpg , unless I'm bombing around the desert or trails in the mountains , then it can go as low as 10 mpg ,if I'm in low gear country.

Not gonna happen.  She is dead set against it.  Maybe when gas hits 5.00/gal.  She only lives 3 miles from work.  She'd rather walk than ride anything with two wheels and a motor.

David

YellowJacket!

Costs me 45.00 to fill the accordion and about 30.00 to fill the civic.  Accordion gets filled roughly 3x month and civic once.
And thats with "regular" unleaded.

Filled the Vision yesterday with 3.1 gals of premium at a total cost of 10.37!!  Rode the V all day today and got called for one computer job for a PC that was too big to strap on the back of YJ so I had to go home and get the Civic. :-(
Theres a 50% chance of T-Storms for tomorrow and I work 6am to 7pm.  May chance it....  Only problem is I have to park in a gravel lot and the dust is terrible.  YJ needs a cover and I need raingear.

David

Lucky

I am a firm believer that everyone should go ride in the rain, on purpose, at least twice a season.  the reason is twofold:

1) test your rain gear, see if it performs as you need. does something unexpected happen? shield fogging a problem, etc.  better to find out when you have control over the situation rather than be caught in it.  this gives you time to make alterations or changes in your gear.  if you don't have rain gear, do it anyway, you'll dry out.. 

2) ride in the rain so you can learn how your bike handles & performs in the rain.  this way the reduced limits come as no surprise.  the last thing you want.

be prepaired, get practice riding in wet (& therefore, cold) conditions.

--Lucky
1982/3 XZ550 Touring Vison, Gold on Black

inanecathode

Quote from: YellowJacket! on March 13, 2008, 08:38:09 PM
Quote from: Rick G on March 11, 2008, 11:35:43 PM

Not gonna happen.  She is dead set against it.  Maybe when gas hits 5.00/gal.  She only lives 3 miles from work.  She'd rather walk than ride anything with two wheels and a motor.

David

Dude i feel bad for you. If my GF was anywhere near that anti-bike i'd go out of my gourd :o
//////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////
If you can't tell your friend to kiss your ass then they aren't a true friend.
//////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////

YellowJacket!

Thats why I had that "Problem" in my OT post.  She - other girl - was going crazy to go riding with me.....

YJ

Coil Coyle

Quote from: Lucky on March 13, 2008, 09:53:43 PM
I am a firm believer that everyone should go ride in the rain, on purpose, at least twice a season.  the reason is twofold:

I agree with you, Lucky. Only exception being the reason, riding in the rain is more fun! I'd rather ride in the rain than in the heat.

:)
Coil

Coil Coyle

I always travel up the beach and go by the Legion of Honor when traveling north through SF. It's worth the lost time for the scenery.

$0.02
;)
Coil

Brian Moffet

Ah, part of 49 mile drive :-)  I sometimes head home that way.  The sunsets can be great.  Someday I'll record a ride around that part of the city.

Brian

h2olawyer

Quote from: coilXZcoyle on March 14, 2008, 12:03:43 PM
Quote from: Lucky on March 13, 2008, 09:53:43 PM

I agree with you, Lucky. Only exception being the reason, riding in the rain is more fun! I'd rather ride in the rain than in the heat.

:)
Coil

Well, at least you live in the right part of the country to assure lots of rainy rides!   ;D

Brian - for an urban commute, that doesn't look too bad.  As someone who has never been to S.F., what is that large park you ride through?  It looks like it gives you a decent break from typical city streets.

H2O
If you have an accident on a motorcycle, it's always your fault. Tough call, but it has to be that way. You're in the right, and dead -on a bike. The principle is not to have any accident. If you're involved in an an accident, it's because you did not anticipate. Then, by default, you failed.