Fuel resistant silicone? Re: Air Filter

Started by VK, July 18, 2004, 10:00:36 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

VK

I had been waiting 2 months for a uni air filter I ordered to arrive.  Finally got fed up and decided to remanufacture my paper filter.  I ripped apart my old filter and replaced its guts (paper and wire mesh) with those of a Fram filter I cut apart using my table saw and a metal cutting blade - cutting through both the metal mesh and paper simultaneously.  With everything cut to size, I put clear silicone to serve as glue in the plastic frame of the old filter and reassembled.  Everything turned out great, other than that I now wonder if the silicone will hold up in the fuel vapor in the airbox.  Perhaps any silicone sealant is sufficiently fuel resistant, so I apologize for my ignorance on this point.  The stuff I used says "100% Silicone, watertight seal, RTV Cure, Good Adhesion to Most surfaces" but no mention is made of fuel resistance.  (By the way, I had read about Rob's air filter modification using a rectangular filter.  Rightly or wrongly, I decided it would be best to keep the filter in its stock configuration.)  In anycase, is the silicone I used a recipe for trouble down the road, or is there nothing to worry about in this regard?

Thanks for your advice!  VK

Walt_M.

You should be ok, fuel should not be an issue but you do have to make sure you don't have a crankcase pressure problem, make sure your vent hoses are not blocked and piston rings or valve guides are not worn. These could cause oil mist in the airbox, sometimes, a lot.
Whale oil beef hooked!

jasonm.

Just check it every so often. RTV is NOT fuel resistant. Says right on any automotive RTV."should not be used in applications where gasoline is present". But there is little in the way of fumes in that area.
looks aren't important, if she lets you play by your rules

jone

STIHL offers fuel resistance silicone base sealer,used on chainsaws etc. part no: 0783 830 2120
or i have used loctite 5922 (cat no 16765), or better one is
form-a gasket 1372 ?(cat no 19275) might called permatex too. but these are not very good as glues thou.
jone

Riche

Try looking into some two part epoxy. Just another option.