News:

Ridersofvision.net  welcomes you !

Main Menu

Starting problems???

Started by Tex1g, July 22, 2004, 12:20:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tex1g

After riding for about 30 minutes or so in regular traffic, if I stop to get gas the bike will not start back up unless I let it sit for about 5 minutes. Does anyone have an idea as to why this is?   ???  Its not overheating, and the battery and starter are fine so I have those ruled out already, and I have a new YICS box on it.

Superfly

I have had the same problem, I have heard the words "vapor lock" I am trying to fix it also.
A bad marrage is like dirty carbs... It just makes everything else suck.

Lucky

I'm assuming the bike will crank, just not fire.  Check the vent in the gas cap, make sure it's not full of rust or plugged. your putting cold gas in a warm tank, once the cap is on the cooler gas may be contracting things in there & if the vent is plugged that makes it hard to keep the bowls filled. Try to start the bike with the cap off.  Although this would tend to make the bike die after several miles too...

coupla other tricks to try:

if the bike is black, get a piece of reflective insulation, similar to the stuff the Ford glues to the old Lincoln Evaporator cores. I've heard those metalic cloth windshield shades do the trick. Glue a piece to the underside of the tank.

be sure your float level isn't too high. also incorrectly adjusted pilots will make the situation worse.

be sure you have that plastic baffle thar goes binfront of the carbs.

don't overfill the tank.

--Lucky
1982/3 XZ550 Touring Vison, Gold on Black

Jon

What does that plastic baffle do, Lucky?

Lucky

The baffle blocks hot air from the radiator fan from blasting the front carb.
1982/3 XZ550 Touring Vison, Gold on Black

Walt_M.

Are you putting it on the sidestand or the centerstand? My '83 will not start right away if I put it on the sidestand, hot or cold, so I always put it on the centerstand. I think it is too high carb float level but it is running so well otherwise that I don't want to mess with it.
Whale oil beef hooked!

GA_Wolf

My 83 can be the same way...starts better verticle than leaning on the side stand sometimes.