Main Menu

running hot

Started by RACEFAN3624, July 19, 2004, 09:57:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

RACEFAN3624

While riding down the road temp stays about 1/2 way up, even on these hot summer days in socal, outside temp around 100 deg. However as soon as I stop for more than a few seconds the needle starts to rise, it doesnt overheat but needle gets about 3/4 to 7/8 up. :-X  I let it idle for about 10 minutes yesterday and it did not go any higher. the radiator fan is coming on. Should I be looking for something or is this just the nature of the beast?

Mark

Superfly

Hey Racefan.  I am also in SoCal, and my bike does the same, 1/2 the way up typically, on the freeways it will go down a bit because of the speeds.  but when I hit traffic, the needle goes about 3/4 of the way up.  it has not gone into the "red zone" yet, but I bypassed fan, and put a manual switch in.
A bad marrage is like dirty carbs... It just makes everything else suck.

h2olawyer

Hi Racefan -

That's typical Vision temperature behavior.  Nothing to be concerned about unless it does go into the red.  The addition of a manual switch like Superfly & others have done is good since you can turn it on before the temp rises & keep things a little cooler by getting a head start on airflow through the radiator.  You just need to remember to switch it on.  I would likely forget so I haven't done this mod to mine.

H2O  
If you have an accident on a motorcycle, it's always your fault. Tough call, but it has to be that way. You're in the right, and dead -on a bike. The principle is not to have any accident. If you're involved in an an accident, it's because you did not anticipate. Then, by default, you failed.

RACEFAN3624

Thnks guys
I think I can breath a little easier now :)
   Mark

Superfly

Where about is SoCal are you?

RACEFAN3624

Superfly,
 I am in the San Jacinto/Hemet area of Riverside County.
Based on your zip code I assume you are in L.A.?
  Mark

Superfly

Yeah, I work in Beverly Hills, I used to live in the valley but now I live out in Lancaster (ugh...) I will have my bike back on the street in about 1-2 weeks, and wanted to check out some other visions.

RACEFAN3624

Superfly,
   Let me know when its alive , maybe we can meet somewhere and go for a ride. :D

Superfly

Sounds great, I am fixing an oil leak, just replaced my stator, RR, and I should be up in less than a week.