!983 Carb In Swap Shop

Started by Leather, March 11, 2008, 01:41:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Leather

I'm sure this will stir up some discussion of 82 vs 83 carb and performance and pro/cons and whatever... but either way, its in the swap shop. I'm sure half of what I posted is wrong so feel free to throw sticks   :)
Lead, Follow, or Get the Hell out of the way.

QBS

Long time no hear from.  Glad to see you back around.  All the best.

Leather

Thanks QBS ....

Miss my Vision ride but life moves on. Be renting Harleys in Maui next month so still have game.

Go here if you are bored. Just don't post to You-Tube ok. I Did this one before we left:

http://www.boatingconcepts.com/Files/104th_LeavesForCombat.wmv

and here

http://www.boatingconcepts.com/Files/index.htm

You might not like if you are going to vote for Monica Lewinsky Ex-Boyfriends Wife......   ;)

Of course, the alternative is bleak also.
Lead, Follow, or Get the Hell out of the way.

QBS

Thanks for the shows.  As one AF vet (Nam era) to another, thank you so much for all that you do for us.  Be safe.

PS: I loved the mixed fight aircraft video.  Mustangs are my all time favorite WWII war bird.  It looks so strange to see them in formation with jets.  I know its' not going to happen, but I keep waiting for the jets to stall out because they have to fly so slow to stay information.

God bless you and yours. 

zore

I rented a harley when I went to Maui and I really enjoyed it. 
1982 Yamaha XZ550
1995 Ducati M900

Brian Moffet

Quote from: QBS on March 13, 2008, 09:41:39 PM
I keep waiting for the jets to stall out because they have to fly so slow to stay information.

Not going to happen, the mustangs aren't the cause for the slow speed, it's the air speed limit below the airspace (limited to 250 knots, 200 below Class B.)  The mustangs will easily break 450 or so, or at least the one I've been in would.  (no, I wasn't the pilot, too bad  >:( )

Brian

supervision

Thanks for the vids!  , I'm going to watch them tonight
" border="0

QBS

Brian tell us about the Mustang ride.  Was it noisey?  Did it vibrate much? Did the pilot do any aerobatics?  What was the maximum air speed attained during your fight?  Did the pilot give you any stick time?

Rick G

Kingman has a fairly large airport for a little berg, lost in the desert. It was a B17 training field , during the unpleasantness  of the 1940's . There are still stacks of worn out tyres, piled up in the desert.
Every August we have an air show and last year one of the flybys was a Warthog in company with a Mustang. Last year the Mustang was on the wing of a F-16.  One of the high lights of the year
Rick G
Go soothingly on the grease mud, as there in lurks the skid demon
'82.5 Yamaha XZ550 RJ  Vision,
'90 Suzuki VX800, 1990 Suzuki DR350.
'74  XL350   Honda , 77 XL350 Honda, 78 XL350 Honda, '82 XT 200 Yamaha, '67 Yamaha YG1TK, 80cc trail bike

Brian Moffet

Quote from: QBS on March 16, 2008, 05:11:59 PM
Brian tell us about the Mustang ride.  Was it noisey?  Did it vibrate much? Did the pilot do any aerobatics?  What was the maximum air speed attained during your fight?  Did the pilot give you any stick time?

No, I didn't get any stick time.  Ridge Runner III (I think III) has the area behind the pilot seat modified to be a passenger seat.  That's where there used to be a whole bunch of radio equipment.  Of course radios are much smaller now, so he has all of this space.

Dan Martin races Ridge Runner at Reno, usually clocking in at 450 mph or so.  He is based in Hollister California, where he rebuilds P-51s (along with other jobs).  I got to ride in the back seat of RR-III for about 20 minutes, flying over the southern portion of Santa Clara Valley.  He did some rolls, but no loops.  The altitude needed to do a loop in one of these things is amazing.  I doubt we ever exceeded 200 mph, being as close to the San Francisco airspace as we were. 

The ride was very smooth, and fairly quiet (I had David Clark headsets on, but they were not noise-canceling).  The amazing thing about the ride was that the plane flew like it was on really soft rails.  There was no indication of air turbulence or anything along those lines.  It was pretty much rock-solid.

It was definately one of the more exciting rides I've had.  My top goal in flying is to actually fly a P-51.  I need to get complex time though  :o

I am torn between that 20 minute ride and a 40 minute aerobatic lesson in the plane shown below with Sean D. Tucker..

Ridge Runner III

114PS Pitts S2-C (yes, I have this in my log book.)