yamaha xz400 vision?!?

Started by bikeratheart121, March 19, 2008, 01:26:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bikeratheart121

I recently bought a yamaha xz400 vision, but i am having problems finding parts for it, as i am trying to restore it, also i am also having trouble finding information about the bike. can any one help with my problems?

i have no idea what specs the bike has, and i have a haynes manual for the 550 vision, but none of the wiring diagrams are correct for it, and my bike has a few electrical problems that need sorting!!!

XZv2

Hello, Bikeratheart, welcome to the XZ-world!
You can find data on the XZ400 on my website www.xz550.nl topic XZ400.
Success with your restauration project. Indeed specific 400 parts may be difficult to find. Are you in the UK as your email address seems to indicate?
These bikes were sold new in Japan, Australa, New Zeeland and perhaps parts can still be found there. Many parts that are same as XZ550 still can be bought new thru Yamaha.
XZv2

bikeratheart121

hey thanks. i am indeed in the uk. i am having real trouble finding bits for this bike but if most parts are compatable with the 550, then i might just have to get a 550 as a donor bike. thanks for the site adress.

Rick G

I believe that a XZ550 would be easier to find in GB. Perhaps you could find one of those and use the 400 for parts?
Rick G
Go soothingly on the grease mud, as there in lurks the skid demon
'82.5 Yamaha XZ550 RJ  Vision,
'90 Suzuki VX800, 1990 Suzuki DR350.
'74  XL350   Honda , 77 XL350 Honda, 78 XL350 Honda, '82 XT 200 Yamaha, '67 Yamaha YG1TK, 80cc trail bike

Tiger

:) Welcome to our ever growing wee world 8) Where in the U.K. are you located... ???

8).......TIGER....... 8)
Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming HOOOOYA lets go again baby !!!!!!

'82 Vision, Pearl Orange finish, lots of up-grades!!!

bikeratheart121

thanks every one. im looking for a 550 at the mo, as that was my idea.

i live in cambridgeshire, the a**hole of england.

Rick G

Gee! I didn't know  England  had an a** hole!   :o
Rick G
'74  XL350   Honda , 77 XL350 Honda, 78 XL350 Honda, '82 XT 200 Yamaha, '67 Yamaha YG1TK, 80cc trail bike

Tiger

Quote from: bikeratheart121 on March 25, 2008, 01:41:55 PM
...i live in cambridgeshire, the a**hole of england.

:) I would have gone for Birmingham, (England), for that title... ;)
Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming HOOOOYA lets go again baby !!!!!!

Night Vision

I used to live in Endicott, NY .... birthplace of IBM

we lovingly called it Endicrotch - the legpit of the world  :D
if it ain't worth doing it the hard way....
it ain't worth doing it at all - Man Law
;D

if it ain't broke..... take it apart and find out why

don't give up.... don't ever give up - Jimmy Valvano

Rick G

I used to work in Rancho Cordova , near Sacramento CA.   Due to the large influx of asian refugees  it was soon known as Rancho Cambodia. ;D ;D ;D ;D
Rick G

bikeratheart121

oh this place is worse than birmingham, alls we have here is flat roads, no real twisty roads, loads of motorways, and THOUSANDS of sheep, cows and horse riders that keep invading the lovely roads that are about!!! cant think of anywhere worse than this place. (well, maybe wales!!!)

Tiger

Quote from: bikeratheart121 on March 29, 2008, 08:28:44 AM
cant think of anywhere worse than this place. (well, maybe wales!!!)

:D WALES = Where men are men...and sheep are frightened!!! ;D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D... ;) (old English joke!!)

The Prophet of Doom

I have a wiring diagram for an XZ 400
PM me your email addy

skaalster

Good day I'm from Victoria, Canada and I am also trying to restore a XZ400, any chance I could bother you for that wiring diagram as well? Think I have a TCI problem with my engine running on only one cylinder....
dskaalrud@hotmail.com
Thanks in advance -Dan

Rick G

Dan, Its an easy fix , just cut the  yellow and black wire in the 6 prong connector  at the TCI unit. some folks like to remove the prong and tape it up. I could see no possability of reconnecting it, so I cut it and put a piece of shrink tubing  over each end . Its the rev limiter wire and the TCI thinks its always over  12000 rpm . Go ahead and cut it , your not likely to get anywhere near 12000 unless your nuts, although I have been to 11500. So I must be nucken futs!
Rick G

skaalster

Wow, thanks Rick...simple fix indeed!! Probably should have done a search here first, but thanks for the advice...worked like a charm!!
I'm embarrased to say but it has been a while since I've been on here...divorce took most of my time/toys lately but i kept my two bikes!:), forgot how great a site this was!
Cheers and thanks again! -Dan