News:

Ridersofvision.net  welcomes you !

Main Menu

"The Tigers Den"...

Started by Tiger, March 22, 2008, 08:23:23 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tiger

:) Yesterday, although a minus temp day but sunny, I decided to clean out the garage...or...Tigers Den :D :D :D :D :D :D :D
I pulled the cages out of the way and for the first time this year, introduce "The Pride" to fresh air and sun light!!! Fired all three up...WOW!!! The roar of the MAC's on "The Mistress and Lucky #7" overpowered the soft purrrr of "The Canadian"  :D :D :D :D :D... ;)
Time for a photo shoot thinks I...However, being the computer illiterate that I am, I sent the picture's to my publicist, a.k.a. Night_Vision, who should be along shortly to post them...Thanks N_V ;)
Once they had been warmed up and running at working temp's for a wee short while, a quick couple of blasts up the driveway and back inside they went.
Aaaaah well, good while it lasted...It was time to get on with my other chore's for the day. Another few weeks and the weather should be warm enough to enjoy a ride out on the open road...Roll on double digit's... 8)

8).......TIGER....... 8)
Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming HOOOOYA lets go again baby !!!!!!

'82 Vision, Pearl Orange finish, lots of up-grades!!!

Night Vision

awww... the first signs of spring: little tiger cubs coming of out the den  :D

Judging by the snowpack, I believe these are Ontarian Snow Tigers
They used to be endangered, but since they have be reintroduced into the tiny hamlet of Erin.... they seem to be doing quite well!

I think this one's the mama tiger  ;)

if it ain't worth doing it the hard way....
it ain't worth doing it at all - Man Law
;D

if it ain't broke..... take it apart and find out why

don't give up.... don't ever give up - Jimmy Valvano

jasonm.

drill them 1/16" drain holes in the pipes of the '83...It would be a shame for them to rust out...ever.
looks aren't important, if she lets you play by your rules

Tiger

Quote from: jasonm. on March 22, 2008, 08:42:31 PM
drill them 1/16" drain holes in the pipes of the '83...It would be a shame for them to rust out...ever.

Directions please...
Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming HOOOOYA lets go again baby !!!!!!

arfa vmax

nice collection!  sports tourers are'nt really my thing but i could go for the orange 1,whats the colour?  wish we got snow like that,we had 3 or so inches this morning but its going allready

Tiger

Quote from: arfa vmax on March 23, 2008, 06:20:40 AM
...but i could go for the orange 1,whats the colour?  wish we got snow like that,we had 3 or so inches this morning but its going allready

:) It is a custom paint job that I had done in London.......Ontario that is ;) It is "Pearl Orange"...In sunlight there is a sparkle effect and the orange will lighten/darken dependent on light/shade, however it always stays a shade of orange. I had the guy reduce the amount of pearl in the paint, before laying it on, so as not to be to Bling-Bling looking :o I do get a lot of positive comments from people about "The Mistress"...especially regarding the colour... 8)

The white in "The Canadian", is a pearl finish and has great light refraction... 8)

Regarding the snow...after more than four months of minus temp's and white stuff, you can have it...every last drop!!! What you see in the picture's was several inches higher a few weeks ago!!...infact, this time two weeks ago, we where digging out from one of the biggest snow storms to hit us this winter. Today, the roof on my house is almost cleared off. However, this being Canada, what should we expect from mother nature, eh!! Another couple of months and people will be bitchin' "Ooh, it's tooooo hot"...not me ;D Roll on the summer I say ;D :D :D 8)

8).......TIGER....... 8)

YellowJacket!

Tiger....Theyyyyrrrreee GRRRReat!

David

Living the dream - I am now a Physician Assistant!!   :-)

Night Vision

Quote from: Tiger on March 23, 2008, 12:04:44 AM
Quote from: jasonm. on March 22, 2008, 08:42:31 PM

Directions please...

I drilled 1/16" holes in the bottom of each can about 1.75" from the end.... there's a plate where the baffle exits that can dam up water/condensation.... I got quite a bit of ooze out after I did this. I also pull the bottom bolt (plug) on the right side pipe when I store it for the winter... might not be a bad idea to drill a second hole somewhere nearer the front of the can too?

;D

Tiger

Quote from: YellowJacket! on March 23, 2008, 08:50:25 AM
Tiger....Theyyyyrrrreee GRRRReat! David

8) Thanks Dave...I bet yours creates quite a bzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz around town :o ;D :D :D :D :D :D :D

:) N_V, thanks for the disturbing picture :o  :D :D :D  ;) and advice from you and Jasonm. I "will do"...

8).......TIGER....... 8)

Night Vision

I looked again and did notice I drilled the second hole up near the front of the can also..
;D

YellowJacket!

Quote from: Tiger on March 23, 2008, 10:31:24 AM
Quote from: YellowJacket! on March 23, 2008, 08:50:25 AM
Tiger....Theyyyyrrrreee GRRRReat! David

8) Thanks Dave...I bet yours creates quite a bzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz around town :o ;D :D :D :D :D :D :D

8).......TIGER....... 8)

heh heh heh......  with the MACS, it sure does!

David

Living the dream - I am now a Physician Assistant!!   :-)

Lucky

an asterisk on that pic:
that's the exhaust on Cafe Vision, as i got it. it had been sitting for years & is burning coolant thru the exhaust (gotta buy a head gasket...) so all that water isn't from normal exhaust condensation, but NV is correct about hole placement.

--Lucky
1982/3 XZ550 Touring Vison, Gold on Black

h2olawyer

Dad had a 79 Olds Cutlass Salon that used to go through mufflers almost yearly (in a dry climate).  After several replacements, they started coming with a drain hole already installed.  That was the last muffler he had to install & it lasted over 10 years.

H2O
If you have an accident on a motorcycle, it's always your fault. Tough call, but it has to be that way. You're in the right, and dead -on a bike. The principle is not to have any accident. If you're involved in an an accident, it's because you did not anticipate. Then, by default, you failed.

inanecathode

Does it make sense that the exhaust gets hot enough to evaporate/boil off water that gets trapped in the exhaust? If it can melt shoe soles wont it boil water out of it as well?
//////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////
If you can't tell your friend to kiss your ass then they aren't a true friend.
//////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////

h2olawyer

Normally, yes - however, when the bike is parked, condensation sets in & some water will puddle in the cooling exhaust.  That's where the problems arise.  Even our relatively dry air in Colorado will create some condensation.  However, after looking at the exhausts at Boulder Bike Works, the effects here are much lower than occurs to bikes in miore humid climates.

H2O
If you have an accident on a motorcycle, it's always your fault. Tough call, but it has to be that way. You're in the right, and dead -on a bike. The principle is not to have any accident. If you're involved in an an accident, it's because you did not anticipate. Then, by default, you failed.

Rick G

Almost all Japanese motorcycles back then ,eventually had a rust out problem early  Gold wings were especially prone to rust out. Part of the problem was with exhaust pipes that turned up on the end causing condensation to puddle at the low point and rust the head pipe /muffler junction out.
MY '74 XL350 has a pipe that goes from right to left in front of the motor  and drops down under the left foot rest . It then raises up along side of the bike . This creates a low point that is guaranteed to rust out. I bought some sheet steel and fabricated a patch to cover and reinforce  the bottom of the muffler on both sides of the centre seam as well as the last 6 inches of  head pipe. A decent used one is unobtainium. Needless to say I drilled a 1/16 inch hole  in the last inch of head pipe and the first inch of the muffler.
Rick G
Go soothingly on the grease mud, as there in lurks the skid demon
'82.5 Yamaha XZ550 RJ  Vision,
'90 Suzuki VX800, 1990 Suzuki DR350.
'74  XL350   Honda , 77 XL350 Honda, 78 XL350 Honda, '82 XT 200 Yamaha, '67 Yamaha YG1TK, 80cc trail bike

Tiger

:) Its a combination of condensation mixed with the exhaust gas residue, which is acidic...a nice cocktail to rot out any system, eventually. Especially given that our Vision's, prior to having new life breathed into them, have sat around, neglected in some dark corner somewhere.

This is where, when you acquire a "cheap" Vision ::) you have to be prepared to spend, on average, $600 to $1,000.00 to get her looking decent and, more importantly, road worthy.

8).......TIGER....... 8)

Tiger

8) "The Canadian" is now safetied 8) so when I get back from Cancun, weather permitting!!.. she will go for her first run in over ten year's... 8) 8) 8) That will then allow me to do some work on "The Mistress" during the warm weather!!!

Lucky #7 will be leaving the den soon and going to her new home in Mississauga, Ontario, (which is just down the road from me), to bring a smile to vadasz1 ;D

...just got to keep an eye open for #8, eh!!!

8).......TIGER....... 8)