News:

We would like to thank our supporting members for their generosity.

Main Menu

Ducati exhaust conversion

Started by packman85, April 09, 2008, 12:09:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

packman85

Yup a Ducati Exhaust on a vision, that is what I am going to attempt.  I just won some 2006 Monster 695 mufflers on ebay.  I was planning to just cut the stock cans off of the collector, (my cans are rust buckets) weld on an adapter flange and slip on the new pipes.  Im sure, like everything else with this bike, it will not be nearly that easy, but Im hoping I can make it work.  Any advice would be great.  I probably wont get around to the actual fabing till summer quarter (Im taking a welding course) Or until squirrels gets a tank for his welder and fixes the wire feed problems.

Cheers
Pax
"Real men don't need full fairings, go naked or go home!!"

Lucky

i cut the cans off an old exhaust years ago, to see what was inside. i did it just in front of the welds & at that point it was double walled.  i would cut an inch or two infront (closer to the outlet of the exhaust) of the weld.  you can allways remove more if needed.
1982/3 XZ550 Touring Vison, Gold on Black

packman85

Thanks lucky,

Here is a link to the auction that I won, hopefully its still active.  And hopefully I can make these pipes fit.
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&ih=003&sspagename=STRK%3AMEWN%3AIT&viewitem=&item=130210547129&rd=1

Kevin

Looks like a easy modification. You may have to have a bushing made to adapt sizes.

Coil Coyle

I got a pair of those with Odium's bike. They weigh 30-40 pounds each.

;)
Coil

packman85

Quote from: coilXZcoyle on April 10, 2008, 10:55:59 PM
I got a pair of those with Odium's bike. They weigh 30-40 pounds each.

;)
Coil

SERIOUSLY!! Each can weighs that much!?  Holy cow thats heavy.  I didnt really want to add weight to the bike,  Well Ill just have to see.  If its not to my liking Im sure I can sell them

packman85

I just got the exhaust this afternoon.  They look great and only weigh 10.5lbs each so Im ok with that.  Now I just have to mock-up how Im going to mount the then eventually start cutting welding and fabing.

YellowJacket!

Thats good news about the weight. I'm interested to see how they work out.  Good Luck.

David

Living the dream - I am now a Physician Assistant!!   :-)

packman85

I just mocked up the exhaust and took some pics.  Im thinking that I hight mount design is going to be the easiest way to go fabing wise.  Less cutting and modifying.  The first pic is lower,  the second one is the high mount which looked like it would work best.  Will keep you posted.

http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y116/wallrat/Motorcycle/Image005.jpg
http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y116/wallrat/Motorcycle/Image007.jpg

vadasz1

I could see your passenger burning their leg on the high mount.  The angle of the low mount looks good tho.
Keep it upright and she'll always be happy!

'82 Vision XZ550RJ with full fairing, shaved tail light housing and covered in blue hammertone enamel.

Rick G

It going to take a big heat shield, for the high mount to work out!
Rick G
Go soothingly on the grease mud, as there in lurks the skid demon
'82.5 Yamaha XZ550 RJ  Vision,
'90 Suzuki VX800, 1990 Suzuki DR350.
'74  XL350   Honda , 77 XL350 Honda, 78 XL350 Honda, '82 XT 200 Yamaha, '67 Yamaha YG1TK, 80cc trail bike

packman85

I know what the pics make it look like.  But A: the low mount design wont work without seriously modifying bothe the collector and the new cans, and I really dont want to cut the cans at all, Id like to make it slip on. And B: The pictures were taken with my cellphone sitting atop a garbage can on a timer so their quality is lacking and I couldnt really get the cans angled exactly how I wanted in time before the pics took. And lastly In the test fitting and mocking up I sat on the passenger seat and found a way to angle it in such a way that it doesnt interfear with the passengers legs.  Also it came with a mini heat shield.  And also remember that in those pics the cans are about 3 inches further out(wider) than they will be once the old cans are removed. 

"Sundance, I got vision where the rest of the world wears bifocals"
"You keep thinkin Butch, thats what you're good at"