So we picked up a NEW PROJECT guess what it is

Started by kwells, March 29, 2008, 11:18:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

inanecathode

They handle great for a 600 pound bike.
Thats 600 pounds, with an L, dry, and totally naked. Concidering the bike came with basically nothing that wasnt needed you're stuck with a bike, depending on fuel load, that could easily outgross 650 pounds.
Of course all the weight is where it should be, low and centered, the thing is still a pig of a bike as far as weight goes, and you cant really corner it too hard without the valve covers on the ground. Not that you'd want to with 650 pounds trying to zig when you want to zag :o

//////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////
If you can't tell your friend to kiss your ass then they aren't a true friend.
//////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////

YellowJacket!

Has anyone ever seen the youtube video "Wings on the Dragon?  A guy named YellowWolf and his riding buddy have filmed several vids of the two of them carving up the Dragon on two fully decked out Wings.  I posted a link to it a while back and will look for it, but it is absolutely amazing.  My guesss is that they could probably outrun and out corner most of us.  Of course, they ride the dragn on an almost weekly basis.
Cool vid....just take some dramamine before you watch it.  ;D

Aaahaaa Here it is:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0nrMQ3QwyPo

David

Living the dream - I am now a Physician Assistant!!   :-)

supervision

That's, what I'm talking about.  Thanks David
" border="0

vadasz1

I sure hope that they have skid plates installed.....................WOW :o :o
Keep it upright and she'll always be happy!

'82 Vision XZ550RJ with full fairing, shaved tail light housing and covered in blue hammertone enamel.

Rick G

Its amazing how much they look like a Subaru engine .
Rick G
Go soothingly on the grease mud, as there in lurks the skid demon
'82.5 Yamaha XZ550 RJ  Vision,
'90 Suzuki VX800, 1990 Suzuki DR350.
'74  XL350   Honda , 77 XL350 Honda, 78 XL350 Honda, '82 XT 200 Yamaha, '67 Yamaha YG1TK, 80cc trail bike

YellowJacket!

Anyone ever think about putting an RX-7 Rotary engine in a bike?  Or has it been done?

David

Living the dream - I am now a Physician Assistant!!   :-)

Brian Moffet

Quote from: YellowJacket! on April 04, 2008, 02:29:44 PM
Anyone ever think about putting an RX-7 Rotary engine in a bike?  Or has it been done?

http://www.nortonmotors.co.uk/Production%20Models%20index.htm

Or for some really frightening ideas:

http://thekneeslider.com/archives/2007/05/15/mazda-rotary-engine-motorcycle/

:o

joevacc

Rotary engines are nice...  but I like Radial engines best!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GUx35zuI5GI

This is my kinda of chopper!
-=[Joe Vacc]=-
"The most pathetic person in the world is someone who has sight, but has no vision."
Helen Keller

Brian Moffet

Quote from: joevacc on April 04, 2008, 03:52:00 PM
Rotary engines are nice...  but I like Radial engines best!

Hey, you're dissing my car!  ::)

Brian (would like a radial engined airplane though... donations being accepted now!  ;D )

kwells

Today we got the new Goldwing moved over to the garage to take a good look at her and get some cleaning taken care of.  Visually, this bike is in much better shape than the previous one.  Full lowers and chrome covers that show no rust.  The paint and emblems are in great shape as well as the gauges.  The only thing we are sure that needs work will be a complete fuel system clean out and have to assess the coils. 
will try to take some pics this weekend.  The bike so far is impressive if you can get over its shear size.  But, someone in the market for a touring bike wouldn't take offense to that.
...a vision is never complete.

www.wellsmoto.com

Rick G

The fuel systen is one of the biggest problems on an old wing . The gas tank is under the seat, and the petcock is about 3 or 4inches above the bottom of the tank. To get the tank out , to flush it or coat it, requires the removal of the rear wheel AND the swing arm. Even then its a real  Bitch to get out.  Enjoy guys!! :o :o :P :P :D :D :D
Rick G
'74  XL350   Honda , 77 XL350 Honda, 78 XL350 Honda, '82 XT 200 Yamaha, '67 Yamaha YG1TK, 80cc trail bike

kwells

Yes, a tough procedure I foresee.  Our initial plan is to actually flush it out whilst IN.  This may or may not work but I am willing to give it some brain power to not have to remove all the rear end of the bike, INCLUDING the bags and light bars. 

www.wellsmoto.com

Rick G

Try removing the petcock and flushing the tank. They usually have 2 inches of rust and gum in the bottom .
Inane are you starting to see why I hate them so much?? When I worked in a shop, I had to do it if the boss told me to . Since I now  work for myself , no way! there ain't enough money for me to do much on a wing. When bike get this old no one wants to pay the labour to repair this kind of problem.
Rick G

kwells

yeh removing the petcock was in that plan.  I was thinking about using some detergents to get the varnish out and leave as is with a new inline filter.  The carbs will also need to come off but Im not so intimidated by carbs.  We never seeked these bikes out.  They sort of fell into our laps at a great price...so when u have lemons...well u know the rest.  Soon I hope to get into more modern bikes with fewer in depth issues.

www.wellsmoto.com

inanecathode

The fuel sender is mounted in a 5 inch hole top dead center of the gastank. You'd have to have rediculous banana fingers to not be able to clean the tank out when its in the bike.
Last time i checked we all rode visions, not the easiest bike to work on. If we wanted easy we'd all be riding cl350s.

Ron_McCoy

Rick does have very large hands and fingers.............

Rick G

Ya , makes picking the nose  a real challange.!!! ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D :o :o :o
Rick G

Lucky

1982/3 XZ550 Touring Vison, Gold on Black

Rick G

Lucky, you really need to be able to detect humor , when its presented.   ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D :o :o :o :o :o ::) ::) :: I have no trouble picking my nose!! LOL
Rick G

inanecathode